Sponsored by:

LSRPCA Club Race at TWS March 18-20 Registration is open

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:37 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SG_M3
That would be one possible scenario. Though in Saturday's 2nd sprint, both the front two cars were running 2:00 or so laps.
Just guessing, but I wonder how much was wind resistance down the front straight coupled with the warmer air temp later in the day. I think the wind really picked up later in the day. In my spec miata, I saw almost 10 mph less on Sunday at the end of the front straight than the last time I was at TWS. Some of that for me was warmer air temp compared to december, but I think a lot of it was wind resistance. Of course, my miata makes a little less power than the spec box...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I was just using documented mylaps results

Group 7 race 4
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1252598

AND, that was in August !
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Just guessing, but I wonder how much was wind resistance down the front straight coupled with the warmer air temp later in the day. I think the wind really picked up later in the day. In my spec miata, I saw almost 10 mph less on Sunday at the end of the front straight than the last time I was at TWS. Some of that for me was warmer air temp compared to december, but I think a lot of it was wind resistance. Of course, my miata makes a little less power than the spec box...
Aren't you sucking thru a smaller straw now also ? Surely that is part of the 10mph.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Good setup takes time and experience, stick with it and you will get there.
You drove great this weekend,I still loved that one start where you got ahead of everyone that should have been faster, keep it up.
That was sweet. I wish I had a video of it, but just did not want to mess with the camera after all the other stuff I had to deal with.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I do, on a day w/o that 30 mph headwind down the main straight...
Does my light weight 3.6l car count? 1:50.24
Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gasser
Does my light weight 3.6l car count? 1:50.24
Depends HOW light weight ?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't you sucking thru a smaller straw now also ? Surely that is part of the 10mph.
Good point. I had to switch to a smaller restrictor plate for NASA's 2011 rules. Haven't dynoed yet to find out how bad it hurt me, but no doubt it has dropped my power.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Sean, great to see you and Greg! R888's suck after the magic first and possibly second lap.
You too Dave.

I'm not sure I believe that, look at Watkins' qualifying on Saturday, he did his fastest lap(1:57.958) on his 5th lap(with lap times falling). Gladwill did his fastest lap on his first lap which was a 1:57.680, so .3 seconds faster.

I do believe the tires are their fastest on the first couple of laps, but I don't think they fall of 2-4 seconds. Perhaps Watkins or Gladwill can chime in, I think they're both on these forums?
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
jgladwill
AutoX

Yes you are correct the tires do not fall off that bad. I was running tires I raced the whole weekend in Sebring on and they were junk by the second sprint race, my car was extremely loose and a handful to drive, Steve would have put down much faster laps had I not been in front of him but I was reaping the benifits of a good start and going just fast enough to win. On sunday I put a fresher set of tires on and ran much quicker in qualifying and both sprint races. The r888 is a very temperature sensitive tire and does slow down when the track temps are higher though. Also the reason my fastest qualifying lap was lap one is because I caught traffic by the second lap, Steve went out later in the session and waited for a clean lap to run a flier, he will usually also run the fastest in his first few laps on these tires.

jgladwill
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

What mechanical issues did you encounter?
Well my list of issues gets a big lengthy but the highlights were throttle cable coming undone Thursday and then I spent Practice 1 and 2 spraying coolant on my tires from a hose leak (the leak only happened at temperature) and wondering why the track seemed so slick (sorry guys). I’ve been a little disappointed in the car with a lack of power. At Sebring most other C3 cars pulled me several car lengths down each straight. When you have lemons I tend to make lemonade and I was planning a charge on NASA GTS4 for this year and look at an engine rebuild down the road. Well the power kept decreasing as the weekend was moving on especially at high rpm. We actually took advantage of the dyno there and the car pulled about 294 hp up to 5400 rpm then fell flat on its face to redline. We contemplated all kinds of culprits from fuel filters to ECU mapping. First sprint Saturday it kept getting worse and worse and actually at the end of the race I was only reaching 109mph on the end of the straight and I got through turns 1 and 2 with a lift only, Miata style. Then we had the light bulb moment and decided to remove the exhaust and as suspected the cats were melted and out of the pipes fell the insides of your charcoaler. The 2nd sprint race I could almost hear the angels singing from above everything was so good until about lap 7 came along and I developed a very nasty rear end vibration that vanished when coasting so I limped through the end of that race too knowing something was about to cut loose in the tranny. I give credit to the boys at Topp Racing, they never gave up on it till the end. I’ll get it sorted out – a cup car is like sex, even when its bad it’s still pretty fun!
Also it was bitter sweet to see my old ride sitting in the garages while I’m struggling as the RSA has been bulletproof. It’s like dumping your old girlfriend and having to watch some other guy boning her. Even if you moved on to a prettier gal it’s still a hard pill to swallow. Jim, you’re a lucky man – hope you had a great weekend in her.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Group 7 race 4
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1252598

AND, that was in August !
Almost beat that ST2 Corvette in front of him....
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Wow, Corey, sorry to hear. Love your analogies!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
You too Dave.

I'm not sure I believe that, look at Watkins' qualifying on Saturday, he did his fastest lap(1:57.958) on his 5th lap(with lap times falling). Gladwill did his fastest lap on his first lap which was a 1:57.680, so .3 seconds faster.

I do believe the tires are their fastest on the first couple of laps, but I don't think they fall of 2-4 seconds. Perhaps Watkins or Gladwill can chime in, I think they're both on these forums?
You see John's comments above. Considering qual was in the cool cloudy, relatively unwindy morning & the races in the hot sunny windy afternoon, going from mid to high 57's to 2 flats is not unexpected, and seems to gel with what John's observations are.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Depends HOW light weight ?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yes Cory, it was an obvious change as that second sprint, my video showed you just blasting off and never looked back. Nice race. I kept up as long as I could. I think that was 3 to 4 laps...
Originally Posted by Coco_951
Well my list of issues gets a big lengthy but the highlights were throttle cable coming undone Thursday and then I spent Practice 1 and 2 spraying coolant on my tires from a hose leak (the leak only happened at temperature) and wondering why the track seemed so slick (sorry guys). I’ve been a little disappointed in the car with a lack of power. At Sebring most other C3 cars pulled me several car lengths down each straight. When you have lemons I tend to make lemonade and I was planning a charge on NASA GTS4 for this year and look at an engine rebuild down the road. Well the power kept decreasing as the weekend was moving on especially at high rpm. We actually took advantage of the dyno there and the car pulled about 294 hp up to 5400 rpm then fell flat on its face to redline. We contemplated all kinds of culprits from fuel filters to ECU mapping. First sprint Saturday it kept getting worse and worse and actually at the end of the race I was only reaching 109mph on the end of the straight and I got through turns 1 and 2 with a lift only, Miata style. Then we had the light bulb moment and decided to remove the exhaust and as suspected the cats were melted and out of the pipes fell the insides of your charcoaler. The 2nd sprint race I could almost hear the angels singing from above everything was so good until about lap 7 came along and I developed a very nasty rear end vibration that vanished when coasting so I limped through the end of that race too knowing something was about to cut loose in the tranny. I give credit to the boys at Topp Racing, they never gave up on it till the end. I’ll get it sorted out – a cup car is like sex, even when its bad it’s still pretty fun!
Also it was bitter sweet to see my old ride sitting in the garages while I’m struggling as the RSA has been bulletproof. It’s like dumping your old girlfriend and having to watch some other guy boning her. Even if you moved on to a prettier gal it’s still a hard pill to swallow. Jim, you’re a lucky man – hope you had a great weekend in her.

Quick Reply: LSRPCA Club Race at TWS March 18-20 Registration is open