Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just in case you missed it........ PCA needs your vote.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoClose
I've seen no discussion regarding number of races. Should those fortunate enough to race 10 times per year win their class just by virtue of frequent participation? Perhaps best results of a set number of races? How many races does the 'average' Club guy(or gal) do?
How about weighting races? Winning one's class at Sebring is much different than the smaller races.
Does number of participants in class carry weight?
Rennpoints takes all of this into consideration already, I believe.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a balancing effort, maybe the point system couls use the 10 best race results, whatever the total number of races you have run in the year. There are 2-3 races each weekend. So people doin' 4 races a year could still earn as much points as others doing 8-10 weekends.

c.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
As a balancing effort, maybe the point system couls use the 10 best race results, whatever the total number of races you have run in the year. There are 2-3 races each weekend. So people doin' 4 races a year could still earn as much points as others doing 8-10 weekends.
Take a look at the RennPoint rules as this is almost exactly how the points are scored. The top 8 races count, but most events have only 2 races that count (so that people can't load up at an event with 4 races). Big events have 3 races that count (and really big events like Watkins Glen or Sebring count extra)
Old 02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Take a look at the RennPoint rules as this is almost exactly how the points are scored. The top 8 races count, but most events have only 2 races that count (so that people can't load up at an event with 4 races). Big events have 3 races that count (and really big events like Watkins Glen or Sebring count extra)
Here are the relevant rules according to RennPoints (http://www.rennpoints.com/rules/)

4. Scoring
  1. Points are awarded by class
  2. For multi driver cars, the driver that the transponder is listed to will receive the points.
  3. Points will only be rewarded to racers that complete a race. A DNF or DQ results in no points being awarded.
  4. Position Points (points awarded for finishing position)
    Code:
     Event Type 	         Race Type 	 1st 	 2nd 	 3rd 	 4th 	 5th 	 6th 	 7th 
     Regular or Premier 	 Regular 	 10 	 7 	 5 	 4 	 3 	 2 	 1 
     Regular or Premier 	 Feature 	 15 	 11 	 8 	 6 	 5 	 3 	 2 
     National 	         Regular 	 15 	 11 	 8 	 6 	 5 	 3 	 2 
     National 	         Feature 	 20 	 14 	 10 	 8 	 6 	 4 	 2
  5. Bonus Points
    1. One bonus point is scored per racer that is beat that is also in the same class
    2. Bonus points are scored only for beating racers that also complete the race. A racer that is DNF or DQ does not provide bonus point opportunities
    3. A racer can score a maximum of 10 bonus points per race
  6. Event Participation Points
    1. A racer scores 5 event participation points after successfully starting a race at an event
    2. A maximum of 25 bonus points can be scored in one season

6. National and Regional Eligibility
  1. Points will be scored and tracked at a national level and a regional level.
  2. All PCA club race events are eligible for points on the national scoring level.
  3. Regional points can be gained from attending events within the region or attending one of the two National level events
  4. Racers are eligible for Regional points can be gained from attending events within the region or attending the National level events
  5. To be eligible for a regional championship, a racer must start at least one race at an event within in the region. This event must not also be a National level event. The racer must also not receive a DQ penalty at that race.
  6. Standings will be computed by selecting the highest eight point scoring races for each racer and combining that with the event participation points for the racer
Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM
DanC
Advanced

PCA should just use Rennpoints IMO. The regional and national standings are already incorporated. The races are weighted by participation level. Using the points from the best 8 races is an important acknowledgement that many of us don't have enough vacation days to attend more than 5-7 events per year.

Rennpoints is a nice, objective points system.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sounds fair.

That would be nice to implement.

c.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with DanC.
Seems like all of the discussion about a PCA Championship refers to the Rennpoints system, and all seem to favor the system.
Why have the volunteers that run Club Racing duplicate the work?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Bryan_H
Track Day

Originally Posted by Coco_951
I'm pro a PCA points system and I'm also a big fan of rennpoints. My concern is all a points system will do is heighten all the discussions of cheating, bigger spending budgets for expendables and travel, and what not that already fills the threads on here. PCA is gentlemen's racing and really that's a good thing. If you want a "serious" points and national championships I think you need pick a series that has stricter rules system (NASA, SCCA, Patron). Rennpoints works great for what PCA is all about.
I am curious. What makes you think those organizations have stricter rules systems that PCA?

Bryan
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan_H
I am curious. What makes you think those organizations have stricter rules systems that PCA?

Bryan
Yea I didn't get that comment either Brian. I've raced in all of the above and while IMSA/Patron is extensively ****, I don't believe PCA is lacking in assuring compliance. PCA has more tools to work with than either of the others listed above.....
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bryan_H

Bryan
Ok maybe stricter isn't the correct word but I think most of us would agree that not all stock class cars within a class are created equally. For the sake of having competitors in club racing you have to lump cars together that are similar. In Patron theoretically the cars are identical. NASA you use dyno HP and weight so theoretically all those cars in class can have an identical ratio atleast. I'm not complaining about our rules at all - I guess I was warning those folks who have complained about rule bending in the past that a points system will raise the bar even higher. My guess is that the top tiered racers in each class have been well aware that rennpoints exists and they've been keeping track over the years. So I'm pro PCA points, pro rennpoints, and anti whining.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Ok maybe stricter isn't the correct word but I think most of us would agree that not all stock class cars within a class are created equally. For the sake of having competitors in club racing you have to lump cars together that are similar. In Patron theoretically the cars are identical. NASA you use dyno HP and weight so theoretically all those cars in class can have an identical ratio atleast. I'm not complaining about our rules at all - I guess I was warning those folks who have complained about rule bending in the past that a points system will raise the bar even higher. My guess is that the top tiered racers in each class have been well aware that rennpoints exists and they've been keeping track over the years. So I'm pro PCA points, pro rennpoints, and anti whining.
To clarify also, I have almost 0 firsthand experience with any of the other racing groups I mentioned so I laid those out there as examples of organizations that have a "championship" series. I'm sure people can discuss all day long how those series have flaws.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Bryan_H
Track Day

Ok maybe stricter isn't the correct word but I think most of us would agree that not all stock class cars within a class are created equally. For the sake of having competitors in club racing you have to lump cars together that are similar. In Patron theoretically the cars are identical. NASA you use dyno HP and weight so theoretically all those cars in class can have an identical ratio atleast. ....
That is one of the misconceptions I see on the boards every time I visit. I would argue PCA is in a much better position to keep things even.

PCA has by far the strictest driver conduct rules of any of the organizations you listed. And, they are actually enforced.

All PCA classes are created from power to weight numbers with actual track performance of the car type over time also considered. Scrutineers spend lots of time checking compliance with all systems on the car. That will increase over the next few years. If you use only power to weight very little scrutineering is necessary. It also allows the least amount of control over the cars actual on track performance.

If you can change anything you like, other than power to weight, it doesn’t even mean you can’t modify the engine. I understand there are cars that have engine mods like pistons, cams and such with custom electronics to keep the power down above 5250 but increase the bottom end below 5250 rpm making a an electronically controlled insanely flat power curve. For this discussions sake I will assume that none of the dyno manipulating enhancements are in play.

Let’s say we are talking about a good old Euro SC E class car. You can theoretically add a higher displacement modern water cooled motor with variable intake and variable cams and the custom electronics mentioned above, big red brakes with ABS electronics, custom gear sets, custom differentials, coil over spring and shock systems, mono ball suspension, relocated pick up points and modern suspension geometry, two stage wing, slant nose, wider flares with bigger tires, super light rotating masses with low mounted weight to make up the difference and on and on. Can you say $150K Euro SC. With enough money and some carbon fiber we could even lower the CG and roll centers.

Help me understand how that makes it more equal?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
gla924sem
Advanced

Default PCA Points-GingerMan

Hey.........you missed a race in the EAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

GingerMan the 4th of July weekend

What.......is this race a red haired stepchild

Gary Ambrus
2011 "Roar on the Shore"-GingerMan
Race Chairman

Something like this:

East:

1) Sebring
2) Road Atlanta
3) Lime Rock
4) Mid Ohio
5) The Glen
6) Vir
7) NJMP
8) Mosport
9) NJMP
10) Elkhart Lake
11) Summit Point
12) Daytona
13) CMP
14) Roebling Road

Quick Reply: Just in case you missed it........ PCA needs your vote.....