Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How often do you check your shocks thoroughly?
Once a season
36.00%
Only after an "incident"
16.00%
Haven't done it and don't know when I will
48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

how often do you take your shocks off and have them checked/re-freshed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how often do you take your shocks off and have them checked/re-freshed?

After some handling issues that we couldn't get straightened out at the track during the 48 Hours weekend, I had the shocks sent to SACHS for inspection. Turns out the LF and RR pistons shafts were bent and some valving was bad in another one... Also, one of the shock shells was a 996 Cup shell... Second weekend in the car so I was still getting used to the 997. I knew something wasn't right by mid-weekend.

Now, the car I bought had never been crashed and was owned by a respected and serious racer. The only thing I can figure is that when he sold the car, someone took the good shocks off the car and had these put on as there is no way he would have been running on these shocks in the condition they were in.

So, how often do you "really" check your shocks?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:50 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 184 Posts

I think you are right. There was a switch. I have had some experience with many brands of high end coil overs, Moton, KW, TRZ, and some very cheap ones too. I had a set of KONI's leak but only because they were not pulled when a cage was welded in the car. I noticed a puddle of oil under the car coming from the shock.

Competition stuff is very robust.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I chose "after an incident" - only because I've had them revalved/rebuilt a few times, like every 3 or 4 years, but it has always coincided with an incident that takes the car out of action for a few months.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Annually.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
tsheehan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 hours run time. send them out. as pre race prep Check pressures on your gas bags , check travel marks on pistons, keep notes shocks are the key to any car being easy to drive and fast. You would be "shocked" to know how many of you guys are driving around a dead or f'd up shock on your car.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:21 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, part of race prep. The guys question was how many of us had had ACTUAL problems or failures. I log over a hundred hours a year and although I "inspect and prep" have not seen many failures of any kind on the high end units.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Annually or even more often if you are serious. The oil loses viscosity with use and heat - so if your shocks are near the engine, they are going to change characteristics very quickly. FYI - Pro formula car teams may rebuild (or at least change oil) after EVERY event.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:02 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Depending on the number of events. When I only run a couple events a year, it will be three years before I send them out. The facility that does my alignments/corner balances, always looks them over for me and on one occasion was flabbergasted how I had driven with one front completely apart.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Removed and returned to Moton for full service every winter.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm taking my JRZs out today and sending them off to be serviced....after about 4 years.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

ha ha ha ha! I havent touched my koni's since i put them on back in the late 90s. 150 race days, 13 years later, they seemed to be working. (oh yeah, i did rebuild one shock after a major impact back broke the housing in 2000)
I think they are shot, but all the friction of the stock bushings of the 928 suspension and those nice bump stops, give me all the control I need! I think if I put on some motons, I would be either faster or slower. I dont really know which.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I do have a question (and also just emailed my tech).....I have the Staubli quick disconnects. If I am doing this DIY to put the shocks back, how do I deal w/ the fluid? If I'm sending my shocks out to be rebuilt I guess they are empty when they come back and then I fill or ? Not sure how this works.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ha ha ha ha! I havent touched my koni's since i put them on back in the late 90s. 150 race days, 13 years later, they seemed to be working. (oh yeah, i did rebuild one shock after a major impact back broke the housing in 2000)
I think they are shot, but all the friction of the stock bushings of the 928 suspension and those nice bump stops, give me all the control I need! I think if I put on some motons, I would be either faster or slower. I dont really know which.
You're kidding, right? PLEASE tell us you are kidding....

Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That and his dumpster diving tires actually could explain some of his reasoning.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You're kidding, right? PLEASE tell us you are kidding....

Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
That and his dumpster diving tires actually could explain some of his reasoning.
And in car videos. But I am going to assume he was joking, and I will remain nice.

Quick Reply: how often do you take your shocks off and have them checked/re-freshed?