Sponsored by:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:48 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

This tread may become epic

there will always be someone who is faster, or richer, or smarter... it's life deal with it. I love the driving/racing, and the people involved are some of the best you'd ever meet.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Look at it this way...there are people that see us in our Porsche's driving around town that wonder the same thing you are wondering....who is that or these guys.

If I could afford to go racing even on the club level I would...I'd start stripping the car tomorrow. I just glad there are those that can afford to go racing becuase I really enjoy watching them and see what they do with there car and so forth. Plus this gives me an outlet to practice my photography.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh and if you think that GMG picture is rich....I'll take you to a offshore boat race or a peak down some canals with 5+ million homes and yachts in the back worth more than the house.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
At the risk of sounding pompous .......is it time for Rennlist to separate the racing forum from the DE forum ?
Originally Posted by FredC
yep... seems like there is a slight chasm developing??
Don't lump a couple of guys together and characterize them as the "DE Crowd". They are the exception in my opinion. By far, most of the DE crowd in my opinion loves hanging with the racers. My experience as a DE student was that the DE associated with our club race was the very best DE of the year. Watching, visiting, and learning from the racers made the weekend all that much better. Some folks just are never happy with where they are in life, and have a hard time dealing with folks who have what they THINK they want. JMHO
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do.
Clearly, sir, you do not.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark
Clearly, sir, you do not.
Agreed. Beside the obvious thrill of competition, the glory and stories that we share with our friends is what most of us race for, not the medals.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Um . . . these are professional teams. In case you missed it, GMG and TRG and Magnus all participated in the Rolex 24. Jeff Segal (testing with DeMan), Andy Lally, Spencer Pumpelly, Darren Law, James Safronas and a few others were there. They had factory support in case you missed the PMNA truck.

There were several past Rolex 24 winners and past competitors as well. Mike Levitas and Bob Miller.

I also spoke to two guys who are beginning their first years pro in the World Challenge series.

A PCA club race is an opportunity for these guys to test and tune. Watkins Glen is another one that can draw some pros.

As for the rest, guys who are racing on a budget or guys who have enough money to spare no expense on their hobby.

All are true enthusiasts of the sport and I thank every one of them for coughing up the entry fees and the membership dues and the event sponsorships so I have somewhere to play with my modest racing effort.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't golf or belong to a prestigious country club, so I can afford to spend a few bucks racing with the people I now consider my buddies......

and although I am just a dentist, you only live once...... therefore......

live your passion while you still can........
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 PM
tsheehan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"George Bush gives those guys money to race", it was a program started by Regan . Sports car racing was the original trickle down economy. (I am being an ars) They love it and they back that up with there time and the fruits of there time away from the track.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Agreed. Beside the obvious thrill of competition, the glory and stories that we share with our friends is what most of us race for, not the medals.
I race for the chicks...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I race for the chicks...
How's that working for you?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Ever see Streak in lipstick?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Dude.

Your Saturday night fantasies should remain private.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

In my case, and for some others too that have extremely demanding jobs (and real lives with families with little kids, etc), the ONLY way I can go racing is I have someone take care of everything other than the driving/racing (i.e. Full support arrive and drive).

I have ZERO time to spend on preparing the car or doing the long-haul tow. Usually, for most races I arrive from an overnight flight to take a domestic flight to the closest airport to the race venue; and in most cases I dont want to spend my racing time away from my family, so I fly them with me to as many events as we call can. This fact in my life just raised the bar on the cost of racing for me, so I had to work harder (with no racing) for several years until I was able to afford it.

As others mentioned, we are all competitive, want to try our best to win, and bag the stories and the thrill of the experiences for the rest of our life. We each go about it in different ways depending on our means and specific circumstances.

Still, I do love to go to the track in my street cars without any of the complexity and logistics involve with racing. That's why I joined MMC to just be able to take my car on any random weekday "at the office", my helmet, the tire pressure gauge, fill the car with gas and drive the car on the stock tires, do 10-15 laps and take care of some work over the phone or by email in between sessions, and drive back home to dinner to my kids' hockey game or dinner with the family.

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?