Sponsored by:

WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:35 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHO ARE THESE GUYS?

I was bitten by the bug two years ago. An innocent DE event at Sebring turned into an 18-event season with multiple trips to Atlanta, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Watkins Glen, Palm Beach, and Savannah.

Last year, I did 24 events and, along the way, I burned up tires, brake pads, rotors, and a water pump. I rolled up the better part of 35,000 miles driving to and from tracks, went through enough gas to float Bahrain, and never hit a thing. I've spent money on suspension mods, lightweight wheels, and a grumbly exhaust.

Over the winter, I invested in a trailer and a tow vehicle. I've spent more money than made sense, but I've somehow (so far) kept this obsession from getting out of hand. I don't have a driver's suit, a full-face helmet, race seats, or a roll cage. I don't have a fancy splitter or rear wing. I still do DEs.

So, imagine my surprise when I showed up at Sebring this month for the 48 Hours and found the entire paved tarmac covered with enough expensive race equipment to fund a moon shot. Rows and rows of car haulers and trailers, mountains of tires, fully equipped race teams. Who are these guys and where does all this money come from?

They race for medals? Little bitty medallions on a ribbon? Help me understand.

I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do. I understand that there might be a handful of doctors or investment bankers or internet entrepreneurs with more dollars than sense, who can afford to pour a half-mil into a fast car and a crew to support it. But we're talking about over-the-top money.

By my count, at least 50 supremely prepared automobiles, with full support crews, catered meals, and enough rubber to shrink the Amazon rain forest. Where does all this money come from? Who are these guys?

Last edited by MikeJim; 02-20-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Everytime I show up at a PCA or PBOC event, I look for a railroad track and then park on the wrong side of it

At that last PBOC event, I pulled into my stall after the 90-min enduro and promptly sat down in a chair with a bottle of water. There was a rig, like the one above, parked directly across the paddock at Barbers. Shortly after the GT3's pulled in there was a swarm of workers wiping them down. My wife turns to me and says 'why don't you clean your car after a race'? I told her that was the hired help wiping the car and that the drivers were inside the transport getting a message, most likely with a happy ending!

Having said that, I'd go for the happy ending if I had the cash
Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Do 1 club race weekend and you'll understand how things can get out of hand... Racing is addictive (in a good way).

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I was bitten by the bug two years ago. An innocent DE event at Sebring turned into an 18-event season with multiple trips to Atlanta, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, VIR, Watkins Glen, Palm Beach, and Savannah.

Last year, I did 24 events and, along the way, I burned up tires, brake pads, rotors, and a water pump. I rolled up the better part of 35,000 miles driving to and from tracks, went through enough gas to float Bahrain, and never hit a thing. I've spent money on suspension mods, lightweight wheels, and a grumbly exhaust.

Over the winter, I invested in a trailer and a tow vehicle. I've spent more money than made sense, but I've somehow (so far) kept this obsession from getting out of hand. I don't have a driver's suit, a full-face helmet, race seats, or a roll cage. I don't have a fancy splitter or rear wing. I still do DEs.

So, imagine my surprise when I showed up at Sebring this month for the 48 Hours and found the entire paved tarmac covered with enough expensive race equipment to fund a moon shot. Rows and rows of car haulers and trailers, mountains of tires, fully equipped race teams. Who are these guys and where does all this money come from?

They race for medals? Little bitty medallions on a ribbon? Help me understand.

I get the whole thrill-of-racing thing. I do. I understand that there might be a handful of doctors or investment bankers or internet entrepreneurs with more dollars than sense, who can afford to pour a half-mil into a fast car and a crew to support it. But we're talking about over-the-top money.

By my count, at least 50 supremely prepared automobiles, with full support crews, catered meals, and enough rubber to shrink the Amazon rain forest. Who are these guys? Where does this money come from?

What are they thinking?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Why? Because they can.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once it is in your blood it is addictive!!!!! You can rationalize the expense in a way that seems to make sense. I had full track support for the first time at Sebring and I have to say it changes the weekend in ways that far exceeds the cash involved. You dont worry about anything except driving. Unfortunately it is like that first track day or that first set of hoosiers...... there is no going back once you have done it and you are a another step down the slippery slope
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Who are these guys? They are guys just like the rest of us. Overweight, balding, middle-aged men who got bitten by the bug and think "I coulda been a contender".

Where does the money come from? You better ask them, cause the rest of us don't know. Otherwise we would have cars and track support just like them.

They may have more dollars than sense, but most of us don't have any more sense. Just less dollars.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Overweight, balding, middle-aged men
Are you stalking me?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lemming
Are you stalking me?
Whew! I'm off the hook....not overweight!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey that is my picture....glad this picture is causing some questions.

GMG is a car shop in So Cal that works on street cars, customer race cars and their own race team. I've been by the shop many times and just this last January Fabryce showed me around. The shop is clean like a hospital O.R.

The customer race cars are owned and raced buy guys like you and me...just with a lot more money. Actually I'm not the jealous type and am always curious to try to find out the story about what these people do to acheive their wealth. I learn from that and find these stories very interesting. I find most all own a business or are in sales in some sort of way. I'm in sales myself and have my own representation firm but I sell drums and cymbals and there is only so much you can make doing that. I'm trying to find my next move with my career. More power to 'em.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=mglobe;8314166]Overweight, balding, middle-aged men who got bitten by the bug and think "I coulda been a contender".

Excellent! I feel so much better now, knwoting that I, too, have everything....except the bulging wallet.....DAMN....life is just so cruel sometimes...... by my hat is off to those who can and do!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I had full track support for the first time at Sebring and I have to say it changes the weekend in ways that far exceeds the cash involved. You dont worry about anything except driving.
After 28 years of self-support, the few times that I had professional support it felt really strange to have a crew wait on me hand and foot. It did allow me to concentrate much more on driving and car setup. Probably worth at least 1/2 a second a lap having everything perfect for each session.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

140 pounds and I still got my hair too!

But the addiction is strong... If others can do arrive and drive in a new GT3 cup I figured I'd try it. I don't have a high hourly rate like money jugglers (most cup car drivers) or CEOs or surgeons so I work 70 hours a week to support my habit. Sometimes I go back to towing my '73 911 with no helper at all at the track and it's just as much fun but different.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Whew! I'm off the hook....not overweight!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
I'm not balding.

Quick Reply: WHO ARE THESE GUYS?