Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona 500 racing in pairs - wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I was confused by how a two car draft was faster than the 15 car drafts of yesteryear, so I googled it.

Here is the best explanation I found
Q. Why has the two-car draft been so dominant during Speedweeks at Daytona this year?

Comstock: The two-car draft has been possible because A) the track has a lot of grip; B) the track is really smooth in the corners. When the track was bumpy in the corners, there was no way the cars could maintain contact through the corners because of the undulations in the track. Now that the track is smooth with a lot of grip, the cars can go wide open through the corners. . . . Previously, if two cars stayed together in the corner, you’d run the risk of crashing. There wasn’t enough grip. One of the cars would slip. It was too bumpy, and when the bumpers wouldn’t align, the cars would make contact. Now the track is smooth and has a lot of grip, especially last night – 50 degrees and no wind. You couldn’t get any more perfect conditions for a race.

Q. Why didn’t a three-car draft work?

Comstock: It’s really hard for three cars to stay in line and go through the corners and not lose contact. There’s so much orchestration there that it’s all but impossible. The second car that is doing the pushing (in a three-car draft) doesn’t get the air taken off his spoiler so he’s got enough air on his spoiler that he can maintain grip in the corner and continue to push. You couldn’t go as fast as we go now because you couldn’t maintain the speed in the corners. You would have to get off the other car. Now you don’t have to get off the car in front of you. You just push it all the way around. If you push all the way around, that momentum is going to build and now you’re racing really fast.”
The long lines of restrictor plate cars turned me off. I'm a bit undecided on the two car drafts, but on balance, I think I prefer them to the conga lines of old.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That is IMO a foolish, myopic, closed-minded view.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
yep, i prefer to keep my mind pretty closed. there are plenty of younger folks around with more time on their hands to keep their minds open for any crap that world spits into them.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
yep, i prefer to keep my mind pretty closed. there are plenty of younger folks around with more time on their hands to keep their minds open for any crap that world spits into them.
Awesome quote. I like it!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
So after how many years of development, the Car of Tomorrow lasted how long?
When did they get rid of the CoT? They changed the splitter/air dam up a little bit and went to the old style spoiler, but they didn't replace the car. The chassis is still the same, safer and more "affordable" chassis as it has been since the CoT was introduced.

Last I checked, there are plenty of cars on this forum with changed splitters and wings that are still Porsches.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:04 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For those that think a pass or lead change on lap 84 is important, you need to get a life. It means nothing. All the racing starts after mile #450. The racing could be improved greatly if they made it a sprint race. The first 450 miles a just filler to sell commercials and group up the field.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
For those that think a pass or lead change on lap 84 is important, you need to get a life. It means nothing. All the racing starts after mile #450. The racing could be improved greatly if they made it a sprint race. The first 450 miles a just filler to sell commercials and group up the field.
For a superspeedway, you're pretty much right, they weren't even covering the pit stop times like the do in the other races. But it's also sort of an endurance race....you can't be there at the end if you didn't go the whole distance. Watch a non speedway race and see how a sh*t pit stop or speeding penalty can really mess up your day.

The really should make the superspeedway races non-points exhibitions and thus, shorter.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If we're going to reduce our commentary on NASCAR to two sentence as some like to do, then we should do the same for F1.

I'll go first:

Qualifying, followed by endless parade laps while the commentators discuss tires and pit strategies. Passing is discouraged at all cost.

Oh, and while we're at it... Danica Patrick...
Old 02-21-2011, 04:39 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Boogity...boogity.....boogity. How about positve pole magnets in the front bumper and negative pole magnets in the rear bumper.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
I was confused by how a two car draft was faster than the 15 car drafts of yesteryear, so I googled it.
as i understand - for oval tracks cars get setup with understeer usually so by locking your nose into *** of car ahead you will follow that car where it goes - less practical understeer for you plus as you push that car ahead you also transfer its weight to front axle as well so it reduces his understeer too and so you get more grip on both cars.
and go faster.
and when they overpush - *** of car in front goes 180 degrees and 15 cars get wrecked. kinda funny to see how they allow that craizyness to happen but yellow flag whole circuit after one single car gets a flat.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Given that theory, the Daytona 24 and LeMans 24 are absolutely pointless races.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
as i understand - for oval tracks cars get setup with understeer usually so by locking your nose into *** of car ahead you will follow that car where it goes - less practical understeer for you plus as you push that car ahead you also transfer its weight to front axle as well so it reduces his understeer too and so you get more grip on both cars.
and go faster.
and when they overpush - *** of car in front goes 180 degrees and 15 cars get wrecked. kinda funny to see how they allow that craizyness to happen but yellow flag whole circuit after one single car gets a flat.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I sat here, for a full two minutes, re-reading that post of his, and I still got nothing but a bunch of WTF?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
I sat here, for a full two minutes, re-reading that post of his, and I still got nothing but a bunch of WTF?
Maybe Mark Kibort can come and explain it for us.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
When did they get rid of the CoT? They changed the splitter/air dam up a little bit and went to the old style spoiler, but they didn't replace the car. The chassis is still the same, safer and more "affordable" chassis as it has been since the CoT was introduced.

Last I checked, there are plenty of cars on this forum with changed splitters and wings that are still Porsches.
The wing went away all last year. The spoiler was back last year. The front changed this year. There will be some fuel injection this year but all fuel injection for next year. Plus they are looking at going back to making the car's aero match more like the production cars aero....this will be in steps through out the years.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
huh? Did you not watch the 500? It was drivers yappin on the radio about engine temps and needing to swap places so their engines didn't overheat. It was like watchin "Dancin with the Stars - NASCAR Edition"

C.
They had over 40 or even more lead changes. There was passing going on every lap. Yes I watched the race. There were some 2 car hook ups that swapped placed due to maintaining temps but there was also a lot of racing going on that included passing.

Quick Reply: Daytona 500 racing in pairs - wtf?