Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Senna Film Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It screened again in NYC this past weekend at the Sunshine theatre in SoHo.
Wow, what a film. I was there for his legendary drive in the rain at Estoril in 1985 for Lotus, his first F1 win. I was such a newb then I didn't understand the significance of lapping every car in the field. All I remember at the time was it looked like every car but his was traveling at half speed.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring someone who doesn't know the ending and they will be emotionally MOVED beyond words...
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember watching him race in the streets of downtown Detroit when the city had Formual 1 for a few years back in the early 80's. Seems like yesterday. I still remember all the Brazilians with their waving flags and cheers at every spectator venue around the street course. It was so infectious I found myself cheering for him as he won that race at least one time during the Formula 1 stops in Detroit. No other race driver garnered the fan interest that Senna did in those years. Those were the turbo years when hp was around 1,000 or more before safety became the number one priority.

-------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a moving film. It did not show other sides of him which would have interesting.

His relationship with Prost was complicated, Prost is a Trustee in Senna's charity so they have to have been close at one time. His talent was in the Schmacher level and seeing the other side of him would have shown him in a light not known by the public.

His religious nature was a surprise.

Something else, The movie reminded me how much an a$$hole Jean-Marie Balestre was when running F1.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

downloaded it the other day and thought it was an amazing film. Unfortunately there are no close showings to me in an actual theatre. I watched the 106min version they are showing in the US/UK. Wish I could get my hands on the full 162min version with the correct english subtitles, though.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Caferacer
Pro

I cut out of work early yesterday to catch a 5:00 showing at the Sunshine Theater on E. Houston Street. It is an amazing work of art. Brilliantly edited and scored to create a narrative that even non-motor racing fans will find irresistable. Having seen almost all of his F1 races on TV I thought I knew the man but clearly did not have a sense of his intellect, spirituality and generosity until yesterday. There are many highlights, some touching and some exhilirating. His interactions with his mother among the former and his JPS Lotus dancing around the track during a qualifying session among the latter. Finally, stay for the credits to see a heroic act and a silver cabriolet.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

That was a great picture of him just sitting on the pavement behind his Lotus Formula 1 car parked on angle on race course. I love the look of the Formula 1 race cars of the 80's and 90's much more than the one's of today. The black JPS Lotus was my favorite of all time. Second would be the Ferraris of that era. Also, the Lotus Cosworth/Ford engines of that era had the best sounds ever. Senna the film comes to my town the end of this month and is only showing at the Arty type theater on the other side of town. I will have to try to see it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I bought a European DVD a few weeks ago (plays on your DVD if you know to hack it). The movie is spectacular. The in car video of his qualifying laps is both terrifying and humbling. Really a wonderful film. But the DVD set included a second DVD of interviews. Those interviews were as compelling and the main film itself. Very much worth purchasing when them become more generally available.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM
drdrank
Racer

I saw the film last night in NY. Really great. Loved it. So good. My girlfriend loved it too. Asked me a million questions after. She was really into it. Will have to track down the producers to get a copy of the film. They said a US DVD release is hopefully on the way.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
drdrank
Racer

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
downloaded it the other day and thought it was an amazing film. Unfortunately there are no close showings to me in an actual theatre. I watched the 106min version they are showing in the US/UK. Wish I could get my hands on the full 162min version with the correct english subtitles, though.
where did you download it?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally saw it in FL last week. I thought it was very well done. I had forgotten how Prost and Balestre stroked him out of a championship. You also got a better sense of just how big he was and is in Brazil. He was the Prince of the country. We put our athletes on pedestals but no one comes close.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
gvtesse
Racer

my wife and I really enjoyed the film as well. She didn't know about the ending and was definitely moved by it.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Saw it on a United flight from ORD to Tokyo last week and again on a flight from ORD to London this week. Lots of time to reflect on these long flights.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Have not seen it, missed the showing at the Sunshine in August by an hour. But I'm curious to see if its as good as the old documentary "A Star Named Senna" release about 4 years after his death. An excellent film for any sports genre. You can probably watch it you still have a VCR.
A very young Bruno Senna is seen hanging out and karting with his uncle, the greatest F1 driver of the modern era.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Just streamed it on Netflix.

Quick Reply: Senna Film Review