Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey 70 and 69 series containment seats - anyone have one? feedback??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kirkey 70 and 69 series containment seats - anyone have one? feedback??

Gents,
I'm looking at these two seats, to possibly replace my current composite 'momo start' seat.(will likely remove the passenger seat too)

The reason for my seat replacement. The Kirkey is a bottom mount, so I can bolt it to the floor and lower my body a little more for more headroom. My current momo is side mount and I just cant get it slammed on the floorpan. Also, these two Kirkeys are containment seats (head containment), which means i can do away with right side net per nasa rules. (I thought)

Anyone with feedback on either seat ?

I was looking at Jegs because they can order in several sizes for me to try(in the store, here in columbus), to ensure a good fit.

Doing Tech with nasa over the years, I've seen many a race car with Kirkey aluminum seats in them.

Plus I figure i can resell my right side net, since it was only used for 6 races, and is unscuffed/like new.(and no expiration for use in nasa racing)

Tom

Kirkey 70 Series Containment Seats . has head and neck restraint

http://www.jegs.com/p/Kirkey/Kirkey-...28652/10002/-1

Kirkey 69 Series Containment Seats

http://www.jegs.com/p/Kirkey/Kirkey-...75108/10002/-1
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where is Redlineman?

My passenger seat is a kirkey - not a containment though. Use to be in the driver side. I liked it a lot. Very light.

c.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

They have good points but you need to get rid of the rib breakers on the sides...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a Kirkey in my autocross car for awhile, though not a full containment seat.

For them to be truly safe they need to be WELL integrated with the cage - ie beefy bottom mount + a good back brace at minimum. However, when it came time to put one in my hillclimb car, I just couldnt do it, for no tangible reason they just FEEL less safe than my Recaro Pro HANS does, though I'm sure they can be just as good if well mounted.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowside67
I had a Kirkey in my autocross car for awhile, though not a full containment seat.

For them to be truly safe they need to be WELL integrated with the cage - ie beefy bottom mount + a good back brace at minimum. However, when it came time to put one in my hillclimb car, I just couldnt do it, for no tangible reason they just FEEL less safe than my Recaro Pro HANS does, though I'm sure they can be just as good if well mounted.
I totally agree with this.

c.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I have a back brace connected to the cage already, used with my existing fiberglass momo seat. I would be using the brace with the new seat, after modifying the bracket of couse.

Installing a plate under the seat that ties into the cage sounds like a worthy idea, or at least two strips of thicker steel that are welded/tied into the cage..

Tom
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have never had one but did look at them quite closely...They seem to be hard to mount correctly and I just felt that I wouldn't get it right...That would worry me and give me less confidence when racing so I decided against one. I will say that it fit very nicely when I sat in one and I did like the support. Just seemed to be a PIA to mount in the 944.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have sparco pro2000 with side mounts in my 944. It sits right on the floor. I can't get a finger under it in the back. There is bit more space in the front, but any lower and I can't see over the steering wheel.

The pass seat is a kirkey rib crusher bottom mounted. I have not had a passenger in a year.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

So how come you guys call em 'rib busters' ? Are they notoriously tight in the rib / midsection or are they known for causing rib related injuries in a crash situation ??

I was also looking at a nicer momo containment seat, but they are not local to 'try out' and they are side mount like my current momo start 2007. http://www.momousa.com/products/prod...cessories.html

Tom
Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
So how come you guys call em 'rib busters' ? Are they notoriously tight in the rib / midsection or are they known for causing rib related injuries in a crash situation ??

Tom
I think they are fine, but that is what people call them here. I don't want to use one for my seat based on confort, but I do think they work just fine.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Your ribs are VERY fragile. The seat should not contact the ribs, it should contact your shoulders. Those Kirkeys are not well designed IMHO.

LaJoie seat, no rib breakers:

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM
tsheehan
Instructor

Great sprint seats bolt it through the bottom to the floor. I am 5' 17" and like the seat as low as I can make it. Seat back brace is a must, mount brace to the seat as well gives it a solid feel . Kirkey will build one to fit you. use the chart on the web. They do a nice job. Best seats I own for sprint racing.
Regards
TSheehan
Old 03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tsheehan
I am 5' 17" and like the seat as low as I can make
I'm only 4' 23".
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

If I can actually get someone on the phone at MOMO in CA, I might just go this route(see photo). I really like the comfy fit of my current "start 2007" seat and I'm sure the containment version is just as nice. My current seat is FIA cert and the one in the photo is too.

I'm wondering if it would darn near 'drop' in with the exisiting brackets and seat back brace arrangement. Although, one of the original reasons for me looking at seats was to try and get a bottom mount one so I can slam it on the floor. I'm only 5'10" but i want more clearence between my noggin and that left side roll bar.

Last night I went to Jegs and sat in a 70 series seat and it was pretty comfy but the bolsters are right there at your mid section(ribs) and now I'm concerned about reading everyone's posts......

This morning I called Kirkey directly. Even their Roadrace seats(71 series and 45 series) have the rib area bolsters. Also, Kirkey seats are not FIA certified or by any other standard.(not sure how important that is, nasa ccr really only mentions FIA cert for seats without a back brace). Kirkey stressed that the back of the seat needed to be bolted/tied directly to the cage with as wide an angle as possible(for stiffness).

I may just say the heck with it and keep my current setup. Maybe I can just tig in the current holes in the aluminum seat plates and then re drill the mount holes a little lower. Currently, the momo bracket holes have multi positions but i almost need to be inbetween two of them.(I'm either where I am now, or I can't get it to bolt into the lowest holes)

Tom
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Kirkey 70 and 69 series containment seats - anyone have one? feedback??