Harness suspended by surigical tubing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Harness suspended by surigical tubing

The big boys do it,anyone here have it figured out?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

What kind of info are you looking for and why do you want to do it? Only reason the pros do it is because we have to have driver changes completed in 30 seconds. Most club racing has a 5 min. minimum pitstop which negates the need for the tethers on the belts.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do enduros which is limited by fueling (no minimum time we are set at). We drilled out the filler tube so we can fill up the cars much quicker now. There was talk of us doing this as several other racers in my group are doctors and have access to the surgical tubing. I wouldn't mind it even for when I'm not doing an enduro as it simply makes it easier to belt up and unbelt b/c they will be suspended in a much easier to reach area (I guess if you do it right).
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 AM
DanR
Drifting

my lap belts are litterally tightly zip tied on, makes getting in easier as th belts are always out of the way
Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

from what I have heard, just use a hot glue gun. nothing super hardcore to attach the surgical tubing.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The surgical tube is tied on (at least on my old pro race car - 993 RSR).
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are planning on doing this in the LeMons car. We have gotten our pit stops down pretty quick, but that is something we always fight. When I saw Ganassi's cars during a tour, looked pretty cool. One of the next things on the list.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

I used zip ties to form the loops at the tube ends, works great!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There's no real science to it, it's whatever works. A zip tied loop to the adjuster will keep the lap belt out of the bucket so you don't sit on it and is real handy for tight seats, the shoulders can wrap around the top of the seat through the belt holes. Just make sure they don't shoot off to the back of the car so you can't reach them. Practice a few changes and it will tell you what needs to be done.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
from what I have heard, just use a hot glue gun. nothing super hardcore to attach the surgical tubing.
What would you need a hot glue gun for?

Also, the race supply companies have black tubing that does the same job as surgical tubing and looks nicer IMO. Some of the belts designed for endurance racing already have looks for attaching the tubing to. Every car is different as to how/where to attach...depends on your cage, your belts, your seat, your reach, etc. If you can't find an anchor point in an area where you need one, I have seen folks epoxy small anchors to the roof of the car, etc. Be careful about making the tubing too short to the point that it's hard to tighten the belts correctly. It takes a lot of adjustments to get everything "just right."

If you have window and left/ride side nets, the tubing can also be used to pull them back and out of the way.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're called Penrose drains:

http://www.nextag.com/penrose-drains/compare-html
Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Astroman
Nah, that's not the stuff race teams are using. The stuff race teams are using is more structural and seems to be more commonly called surgical tubing. Here are a couple sources:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#surgical-tubing/=bek0bj
http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm
Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Nah, that's not the stuff race teams are using. The stuff race teams are using is more structural and seems to be more commonly called surgical tubing. Here are a couple sources:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#surgical-tubing/=bek0bj
http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm
Ahhh. Yep, definitely different and I can see how the thicker tubing is better (to hold up harnesses).

However, as a side note, I'm not sure what is "surgical" about that tubing... I can't think of a single thing I use in the O.R. that uses that thicker rubber tubing (except maybe a blood pressure cuff?)...
Old 03-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

It's probably "surgical tubing" only because it was invented for some sort of use in surgery many years, but seems to be used for 1000's of other things now.
Medical
The medicinal uses of surgical tubing, according to Instron, include catheters, feeding or draining tubes, irrigation during surgical procedures and tourniquets. Surgical tubing is also used in conjunction with surgical equipment, like fluid suction tools, or in drips. Surgical tubing needs to be able to withstand a variety of conditions and is one of the most durable and versatile kinds of tubings, which is why it is so popular outside of the medical field as well.

Read more: Uses of Surgical Tubing | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6406549_use...#ixzz1GQA9kpyI
Old 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chaos
The big boys do it,anyone here have it figured out?
I'm sure if we all put our heads together we can figure out how to affix tubing to harness belts.

Quick Reply: Harness suspended by surigical tubing