Sponsored by:

email of DE accidents

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default email of DE accidents

Did you get an email 'Pete Tremper, National DE Committee Chairman: Filming of DE Incidents' today?

Is there a lawsuit happening or what is the deal? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I know of one law suit that is going on right now, and has been for about two years.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Anybody who enters DE signs a waiver - what ground do they have to sue?
From other perspective, if a good lawyer gets pissed about his wrecked toy, it may not need much of a ground... But I do not see any legal right to restrict an individual filming whatever he may want whether it is DE or not DE. Kinda strange email 'strongly discourage filming' is a one nice way to put it, but excuse me, does it mean we are now 'discouraged' to have in-vehicle cameras?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Probably a reaction to crass and ghoulish behavior that some display toward the misfortune of others.

I have seen a few people go off very badly in front of me. I share that video with the Track Chair because they need to know what happened - with the request that it not be distributed and with the unfortunate driver if they ask me directly. Anyone else needs the explicit permission of the driver.

Watch what happens when a crumpled car is towed off the track. A crowd of gawkers looking and snapping pictures. (usually with incorrect statements like "oh man! Its totaled")
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Pete said he had any legal right to stop us filming. Nor did he ask us not to film (in car). What he did ask is that we do not share films of someone elses misfortune in public forums without the person in question's permission.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Laurie, You are 100 percent correct...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post up the email? I must not be important, so I didn't get the note!

Originally Posted by dan212
Watch what happens when a crumpled car is towed off the track. A crowd of gawkers looking and snapping pictures. (usually with incorrect statements like "oh man! Its totaled")
I hate that! Fortunately, I've never had a bad off - but I've seen many cars towed back to the pits which have more damage that can be buffed out. I NEVER take pictures of such cars, and often I discourage others from doing so. I mean the driver already has enough to deal with -- he doesn't need folks snapping pictures of the damage! A little common sense and respect, folks!

-Z
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jittsl
I don't think Pete said he had any legal right to stop us filming. Nor did he ask us not to film (in car). What he did ask is that we do not share films of someone elses misfortune in public forums without the person in question's permission.
i probably look too much for hidden agendas where there are none.
you are right, 100%.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
lest season I did only 4 events after almost 8 years of brake from track, saw probably 2-3 100% totaled cars at NHMS but I would not say anybody had such a reaction, worst wreck was with SCDA event in rain - a saab missed entrance to downhill before turn 10 badly, hit both left/right walls spinning and was almost broken apart. some people were unhappy of driving over his loose parts but overall reaction was still sympathy as anybody could be on his place really in such conditions.

no one was ever snapping any pictures/video from what I saw. nor anybody was cheering/commenting when ambulance was called at NCR event. nor if I saw it much before when i was riding with much poorer crowd in older domestic cars. most of people do know each other there and to cheer at someone`s misfortune is to ask for very bad luck on your own head.
that is why I automatically deduced it to a lawsuit/liability issue as imho most people at DE events are decent enough, but, well, i guess it depends.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
That just seems like appropriate and courteous behavior. It is fair
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Imagine how you would feel if you had an "oops moment" and by the time you get home, video of your car crashing was all over youtube and the net. I strongly endorse Pete's request.

Best,
Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Imagine how you would feel if you had an "oops moment" and by the time you get home, video of your car crashing was all over youtube and the net. I strongly endorse Pete's request.

Best,
+1
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

Best,
Bob could not be more right.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NASA Az does a similar thing. They request that what happens at the the track stays at the track. I can understand that. It is a natuarl reaction for people to what to see what happened, but it is best not to especially in DE. Who know what circumstances the drive came to the track. Best to not do anything that might make it worse for the driver period.

Same applies to race group, but in general there is a bit more lattitude. Race group is difference that contact while not expected is clearly something that can happen. We are all aware of it and often there can be things learned from on track incidents.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

For an interesting discussion of waiver forms and why they are worded like they are, see the latest issue of Outside magazine. The article is geared towards outside adventure activities, but is relevant.

Quick Reply: email of DE accidents