Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overnight Trackside in Trailer-Setup??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe, the box of Oatmeal Creme Pies sez it all...

I was done with camping after the Infantry - now, once again, it seems fun. I do agree about the air matresses and think one of the newer style foam cots may be the best way to go - perhaps a bit larger iffn I can find one.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Queen size cushiony air mattress, feather bed, and sleeping bags zipped together with lots of pillows. The Ritz at the track....
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Joe, the box of Oatmeal Creme Pies sez it all....
That was a gag gift from wife... Those things used to taste good when I was 10. Now..not so much. Ha
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viper..... way too kind. That being said I debut the new grill in May fee free to bring pigs, hogs, side of beef, whatever you like. I think it will fit.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
Viper..... way too kind. That being said I debut the new grill in May fee free to bring pigs, hogs, side of beef, whatever you like. I think it will fit.
Nice. I'll bring the seasoned pork filet's and Bitburger so we can celebrate our respective 1st in class (of 1) victories.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Originally Posted by good hands
I know VIR and Summit have showers and overnight " accomodations " . How about other tracks ?
Glen, Jersey , Lime Rock, Mid ohio ?

( My new trailer is on order also )
NJMP has showers at Thunderbolt, not sure about Lightning.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:59 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watkins Glen, and Mosport have showers. Bring sandals for Mosport! Better yet, cover yourself in a plastic bag than shuffle into the shower.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

My setup is somewhere between camping and a RV setup. I have a gooseneck trailer with fully carpeted sleeping quarter in the goose part, a real mattress, AC, heat, fridge, sink, microwave, toaster oven, stereo w/surround and sometime I bring a TV. Some things I've learned over the past couple of years:

1) An air mattress gets incredibly cold if you put it directly on the floor of a trailer. Have something under it at a minimum (like a rug) to help. I would consider getting a fold down mattress setup like this http://www.modulinecabinets.com/acce...chor-Bed-47860

2) Grill is an absolute must. The biggest issue will keeping all your food appropriately chilled. If you don't have a fridge, get some dry ice before the race. Its small (gives more room in the cooler) and everything stays dry as opposed to getting soaked. You'll also want a microwave to help cook anything else. Grill + microwave and you can do just about anything.

3) You'll want a generator unless every track you go to has power (unlikely). Don't get a cheap one as they are really loud. I may not bother you, but it will everyone else in the paddock. Get a honda...its worth it. Seriously, get the honda.

4) Nearly every track has showers. Most of the new ones are quite nice. Don't get a sun shower, just use the facilities. Get some baby wipes for interim hand cleaning.

5) Bring tons of drinks. However many you think you need, bring twice as many.

6) AC is huge. When its 90 degree out, it sucks sitting in a trailer. Also, if you don't have one, get an awning or an ezup. You want shade.

7) Find some other folks that camp too and form a compound at the track. This help when its windy (always seems to be at least one day) or when it rains. Also is cheaper to help split costs for things like the grill, food, etc.

8) You'll want at least 2 chairs and ideally a table to put outside. Its nice to sit down

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been camping in my 24' for the past few years, and have finally gotten it finished in the last year. It's very comfortable, and I actually sleep better than in most of the hotels I used to stay in. Here are some of what's worked well for me:

Bed: I hate blow up mattresses. Have one deflate in the middle of the night, and you'll hate them too. I use 6" thick latex foam pads we used to use camping growing up. They're about 3' wide. I covered them, and put two together. They stack nicely on the countertop, or fold up out of the way on the side. I use regular bedding from home.

I use a space heater most of the time in cooler months, and even have an electric blanket. The heater in the ac is weak.

Keurig coffee maker is great

Most tracks have pretty good showers. Christian's setup is pretty trick, and works great. I do something like it in the future, but for now the track showers are pretty easy.

I've tried bringing the grill, but I never seem to have time to use it. We usually bring easy breakfast stuff in the cooler, and get subs or something in on the way back from dinner the night before. Dinner it seems you always go out with friends. I've tried to keep things as simple as possible.

It's great! You'll love it.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 AM
KaiB
Banned

How does one keep really cold ice for the martinis?

Thanks so much all. I'm excited about the new trailer as two weeks ago, I was sold on an open...the enclosed just makes sense to me.

My two ten year old Honda 5kW gensets are not the quietest things I've heard. The Onans on my mobile laboratory were much nicer (back then), but pricy. I'll look into the newer models.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you have 5000 watt generators you can possibly add car muffler to quite them down. You may lose some power, but at 5kW you have power to spare for most things. Do a google seach on generator mufflers and you can see some of things people set-up.

My father has an old Coleman 4kW generator. Works fine, but is noisy. I have never needed it as most of the time we have 120v power, but we are working getting that set-up for some trackers later in the year. The key is getting that old generator quiet.

The only thing i really miss on my 24ft trailer is a window. I hate thant when it is closed up I can't see out of it. There is plenty of space, but I would love small window. These can be added and I probably will do it one day.

Also there is an entire forum for cargo trailer conversion to RVs.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

We may not need/want to go to their lengths, but we can learn about some nice touches we can apply to our boxes.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racing916
Watkins Glen, and Mosport have showers. Bring sandals for Mosport! Better yet, cover yourself in a plastic bag than shuffle into the shower.
Does the Glen allow ovenight camping at the club race? If so, is ther somwhere to set up a tent outside of the paddock?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 AM
KaiB
Banned

Also there is an entire forum for cargo trailer conversion to RVs.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

We may not need/want to go to their lengths, but we can learn about some nice touches we can apply to our boxes.

Great site....
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Does the Glen allow ovenight camping at the club race? If so, is ther somwhere to set up a tent outside of the paddock?
Yes you can camp. There are tons of places to setup a tent...back straight would be my choice.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John H
Mid-Ohio has facilities but they could stand an upgrade. Showers are "group" style.
Don't drop the soap!

-Z

Quick Reply: Overnight Trackside in Trailer-Setup??