Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help on tow vehicles please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
jonmacs22
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have any concerns about the Tundra, shoot me a PM. It is a good tow vehicle and a nice DD. I have used my 2008 Tundra CrewMax Limited as a full time DD and tow vehicle (enclosed 24 ft, 7600lbs total) for the last 20 months.

Some thoughts:
1. If you have the cash, SERIOUSLY consider the new ecoboost. Two of my buddies are towing 5000lbs worth of car and trailer and love them. Great mileage empty and towing, much better than the 10mpg I get when loaded.
2. There is no material difference between the 2008 and 09/10 Tundras.
3. Do not buy a GM 5.3L WIHTOUT the 6-speed trans. It is definitely needed in order to tow.

PM me with any questions.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Once you go diesel you never go back. Come on step it up, even Miata drivers use diesel power.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
Once you go diesel you never go back. Come on step it up, even Miata drivers use diesel power.
Agreed! LOVE my F250 for towing.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

For an open trailer the 5.4 150 or tundra 5.7 will be more than enough. Different deal if you go enclosed. I tried the 5.4 ford, I would only consider the ecoboost for the 150 or bite the bullet on the 250. I bought a 11 tundra crew 4x4. tows my 24' enclosed aluminum with cup and tools just fine. Equalizer hitch. Has the tow package, CRAPPY mileage. Not that big of a deal but has a small tank which is a bit like driving with your wife with a bladder problem...

It is an almost daily driver, so I didn't want the deisel or urea issues. My daily drive wouldn't even get it up to temp, worst thing you can do to a deisel. So I wanted gas. My plan was to add the trd supercharger 550hp/630lbs trq, (haven't needed it..) and better gas mileage, with that, the leather and upgrades it was still 25k less than the f250...
Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

All the comforts of home + tows great + it's bullerptoof.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks for the feedback all. Thought this would be easier than it is. I appreciate the info.
Need the pickup, want to go used, but lightly used. Still comparing and test driving when I can.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both domestics have far superior chasses than the Toyota. They have hydroformed, fully boxed frames with welded sections. The Toyota has a boxed front half, but a C-channel rear half that is bolted together.

I have towed a good bit with a 2000 F-150 5.4L 2V, a 2007 F-150 5.4 L 3V, and a 2007 Ram 2500 Diesel. I liked the powertrain in the 2000 F-150 better than the 2007. Peak torque and hp were less, but the curve was more favorable with the lower RPM torque. However, the chassis in the 2007 was FAR superior (2000 had a C-channel). The overall experience was MUCH better with the better chassis. Similar to my Dodge (though with an inferior powertrain). For fuel economy, I was able to coax 18mpg towing my 67 GTO from Detroit to Knoxville, but I turned off the cruise control in the mountains and manipulated the throttle to keep it from downshifting.

Overall, the bigger diesel is by far and away the best. But it is a PITA in daily driving. As for the gasoline half tons, 5500# is not a big load for any of them. If you can find curves for all of them, look at lower end torque, rather than peak. Also, GM has for some time rated with premium, but not required it - there is a note in the manual that reads "for best performance, use premium fuel." So what you see on its vitals may be misleading. If you go that route, you may get better fuel economy with premium when you tow.

If you want a visual for what difference the chassis makes, look up Silver Creek durability on You Tube and look for Silverado, F-150, and Tundra. Impressive video.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2011 f150 with 6.2L. Tow rating is 11000 I believe. 12 mpg city, 12 mpg towing open featherlight. Truck is extremely nice inside and out.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have a 07 F150 5.4L FX4, I pull a steel open trailer with car. Car is about 2800 lbs trailer is about 2000 lbs for a total of 4800. With extra tires and gas load on the trailer I am probably at around 5000, maybe 5100. With the bed loaded with another 400 lbs I am probably pushing what you have. I pull at around 70 with no problems. I would feel comfortable pulling another 2000 lbs. I have not pulled an enclosed trailer.

As far as tow ratings are concerned they are not worth the paper they are written on. There is no standard on how to measure towing capacity. The original 3 PU manufacturers have been trying to set a standard but have not accomplished much to date.

As far as ride comfort is concerned I would take my Ford over a Nissan, Toyota or Dodge any day of the week. The Chevy would give it a run for its money but I won't buy a GM product until the gov't gets out their business.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
....While those numbers sound impressive and are well above my current '05 Tundra, I am wondering what you all may have experienced towing around 5500lbs (car, steel trailer and junk).

Real world towing experience with 5500lbs and gas mileage as a daily driver would help me. I guess I am leaning towards a Ford or Chevy for interior and options but don't want to make a change and then wish I had more grunt like the Tundra offers.

Thanks.
The 2009 and 2010 Fords are solid chassis, but lack in motor. The 5.4 will get the job done, but not as well as big Tundra motor. For towing 5500lbs I believe all will do just fine and it comes down to preference.

So your tundra now has the 4.7L motor? What do want to gain? Power, mileage comfort or just replace it with newer?

In those years I personaly would lean to Tundra.

Also check out this report. It is for 2008, but close enough for what you need. If you are considering 2011 trucks then Ford F150 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo is must check out truck.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....shoot-out.html
Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Japanese HD pickup truck

Jumbo Shrimp

Some things just don't seem to make sense when you see the words.
Sorry, I'm just a fan of cold rolled American steel heavy duty tow vehicles.
My wife's Excursion (diesel) has been fantastic.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlm328
I have a 07 F150 5.4L FX4, I pull a steel open trailer with car. Car is about 2800 lbs trailer is about 2000 lbs for a total of 4800. With extra tires and gas load on the trailer I am probably at around 5000, maybe 5100. With the bed loaded with another 400 lbs I am probably pushing what you have. I pull at around 70 with no problems. I would feel comfortable pulling another 2000 lbs. I have not pulled an enclosed trailer.

As far as tow ratings are concerned they are not worth the paper they are written on. There is no standard on how to measure towing capacity. The original 3 PU manufacturers have been trying to set a standard but have not accomplished much to date.

As far as ride comfort is concerned I would take my Ford over a Nissan, Toyota or Dodge any day of the week. The Chevy would give it a run for its money but I won't buy a GM product until the gov't gets out their business.

In regards to tow ratings Toyota is the first to follow the new SAE tow rating system with the 2011 models. If you look and compare 2010 to 2011 you will see ratings dropped across the board around 500 lbs.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...ing-standards/

I have a Tundra currently that I picked up as a DD/Tow vehicle for a 20' enclosed for a spec miata. I drove the silverado/sierra and was dead set on one until my buddy suggested the Tundra. Once I drove one I was convinced. The 5.7 is a very stout power plant to say the least and its got some serious power especially equipped with the 4.10 rear that they all come with. It also has the largest brakes in its class for a 1/2 ton truck. I was looking at extended cab models and I also particularly liked that the extended cab tundra has seperate rear doors which was a huge plus for getting my 5 month old daughter in and out of the truck. I have a mostly highway commute and I tend to avg about 18 mpg cruising between 70-75 and with a hard tonneau cover. Truck has no problem pulling a 20' enclosed and maintaining 70 mph, avg is about 10mpg or so.

I'd be questionable on the new ecoboost motor till its been around a little bit longer. Lots more to go wrong under the hood and from the review I read when its in tow with a larger trailer the fuel economy is terrible because the truck is always in boost. Also the ecoboost is only available with the smaller 26 gallon tank which means constant fill ups if your only getting 7 mpg out of it.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04...-6-part-1.html
Old 06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by CT03911
Thanks for the feedback all. Thought this would be easier than it is. I appreciate the info.
Need the pickup, want to go used, but lightly used. Still comparing and test driving when I can.
May be worth looking at a Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 4.6l V8. That is my daily driver and tow vehicle. ~300hp and ~300 ft lbs of torque.

I've had my 2007 Sport Trac since new -- never had any issues towing with it, including treks from NJ to Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point.

I have a steel open trailer with a full wood deck, no tire rack. I estimate I'm pulling about 5000 lbs total (trailer + car + gear). The Sport Trac is rated at 7,000 lbs towing capacity. The key, IMHO, is to balance everything out -- find the correct tongue weight, distribute the load properly, and you're set, even with a tow vehicle that is rated as low as mine. I don't have any additional sway-control attached to my truck/trailer, and even without one, it is a very stable setup.

Since it is my daily driver as well, I really appreciate the independant rear suspension, especially on the wonderfully bumpy NJ roads I take to work every day. The ride is significantly more comfortable compared to leaf-spring trucks.

The bed of my truck is rather small -- only a 4ft bed. But that helps me not to over-pack and over load it! Here's a breakdown of what I take to the track:

On the trailer:
- Car with some misc. track stuff in it (folding chairs, canopy)
- 10 gallons of gas
- Spare tire for the trailer
- Spare tie-down & misc. stuff

In the truck's bed:
- 2 spare track tires
- Two tool boxes
- One milk-crate full of track/trailer supplies
- Alum. jack

in the truck -
- snacks, drinks
- Helmet & misc. track gear
- My luggage if I'm staying overnight.

-Z-man.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks again to all. Love the comparasin articles and thanks to those of you who have driven/used one of the trucks I mentioned.
Still undecided but I want a 1/2 ton, gas, Crewcab body style, 4x4, V-8. Not going new. Low miles, '09 or '10.
Drove them all and was looking at spec's, styling, MPG etc. Usual stuff. As I thought more, I realized one thing I really like about my '05 Tundra is the floor space in back with the seats up. Course I wasn't really focusing on this as I drove all around CT testing used trucks. I am a bit frustrated looking for images or video's online of how the trucks stack up in this regard.
Ford has a good video and from what I recall, Tundra does not have fold up and out of the way seats.
GMC/Chevy I cannot recall, nor Dodge.
Here's the link, I need to look at this more.

Keep the comments coming gents, if you will. My buyer of my '05 Tundra is ready.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Seats on my Tundra double cab to fold up and out of the way. There is a lever on each side and they fold in a 60/40 configuration.

Quick Reply: Little help on tow vehicles please