Walking a track...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts
Thumbs up Walking a track...

I highly recommend it!

I finally got to walk VIR yesterday. Very very informative....

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky Dog!!! I had a chance to do this once but had to pass on it!!!

What can you share with us that only a track walk would reveal?
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wish we had more time to do it. Back in the old days when you'd camp out on a race weekend it was a pretty popular activity to go out on Sears or Laguna until sundown. Amazing what you see at zero MPH.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

I always walk a track when possible. You see all sorts of stuff you can't see when doing 100+mph like landmarks, contours in the pavement, plus you get a totally different perspective of each corner. Last year at the PCA race at Summit Point, my kids wanted to go on the track, my 7 year old on his Razor Scooter, my 4 year old on my shoulders. I hadn't walked it in probably 10 years. Very enlightening and I went faster in the Sunday Sprint.

When the opportunity presents itself, take it.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we only get to run Thunderhill for the 25 hour we make a habit of walking it. Lots to be learned when you have so many off camber corners.

Also a good way to get exercise early in the morning if you camp at the track and toss a bike in your trailer.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't get the chance to catch up with you at Chin. What with the heat, going out with my student and the rain there wasn't much time. Perhaps next time. Good luck with Viper Cup.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Agreed walking the track gives you information you never get in the car. We try to organize track walks in our DE programs but its difficult to pull off so when the opportunity presents itself you need to do it.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

we did a track walk at T Bolt two weeks ago with fifteen drivers, allot realized by all. even if you have run the track many times, you will always pick up something new
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
Didn't get the chance to catch up with you at Chin. What with the heat, going out with my student and the rain there wasn't much time. Perhaps next time. Good luck with Viper Cup.
Every time I came over to your car (3 times) you weren't there, unfortunately, probably with your student. In order to maximize time with me in their right seats, my 2 clients ran alternately in red and Blue, so the only time I had out of the car was usually when you were with your student. Big fat bummer...in addition to the huge storm.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

went to the july 4th with chin at vir last year. camped out and walked the track just before cooking dinner after unloading. had never been before and it helped massively. was able to get to competitive times within two sessions and didn't watch nearly as much video as I had planned to.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We used to walk tracks back in my motorcycle days. Different patches of asphalt with different surfaces (grippier vs less grippy), different perspective on camber/off-camber, but the most beneficial part was the reference marks. I would take a pad and write down "4 inch crack for turn-in on turn 5"...."track out flat-out to tire-mark on wall by 'Penzoil' sign". A track walk also allows you to "see" different lines and where you might change your car position to set-up for the turn after the one you're actually in.

Shame more clubs don't do it but it does take a good bit of time. The multiple day events should always have it after the first day...it'd give the students a great perspective change for day two.

Be good,
TomK
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We (POC) promote a fund raising track walk at Laguna Seca on the Friday night of our annual race weekend there. Led by Sister Catherine, our walk is affectionally known as "Wines of the World at the Top of the Screw"....
Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome idea, JR!

So, VR - how many beers to get all the way around VIR?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to poke around on my bike, taking the time to visualize sections from different viewpoints. Once at Watkins Glen, I was nearly arrested though!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Lucky Dog!!! I had a chance to do this once but had to pass on it!!!

What can you share with us that only a track walk would reveal?
More camber iand camber changes n some spots than I realized. The dramatic nature of some of the road crowning & how it affects turn in for some corners, rougher pavement in some corners that can aid grip....stuff like that.

Originally Posted by ace996
We used to walk tracks back in my motorcycle days. Different patches of asphalt with different surfaces (grippier vs less grippy), different perspective on camber/off-camber, but the most beneficial part was the reference marks. I would take a pad and write down "4 inch crack for turn-in on turn 5"...."track out flat-out to tire-mark on wall by 'Penzoil' sign". A track walk also allows you to "see" different lines and where you might change your car position to set-up for the turn after the one you're actually in.

Absolutely!

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Awesome idea, JR!

So, VR - how many beers to get all the way around VIR?

Haha! Well...being lazy, i really didn't want to carry a bunch of beers for a 3.27 mile walk....so only one: the one I drank before setting off!

Originally Posted by gums
I like to poke around on my bike, taking the time to visualize sections from different viewpoints. Once at Watkins Glen, I was nearly arrested though!
Frank, that's because you weren't wearing anything.

Quick Reply: Walking a track...