Sponsored by:

Any seats open?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 AM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any seats open?

Hey guys I would like to start pro racing but I can't afford my own car at the moment. So I was wondering if someone had an extra seat open in any pro series that I could take part in. Also I would work in the pits if you needed any help. PM me if you need help or have a seat open thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM
drivrswntd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy with a seat available in a ContinentalTire ST car buts going to cost about 10k per race or so. No one gives out open seats and most pro drivers pay to race. That's the harsh reality of racing pro
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by SSILVER88
Hey guys I would like to start pro racing but I can't afford my own car at the moment. So I was wondering if someone had an extra seat open in any pro series that I could take part in. Also I would work in the pits if you needed any help. PM me if you need help or have a seat open thanks.
Send a PM to Seth Thomas here. He corrently races in CTSCC and knows a ton about the economics of pro racing these days. Also, John Tecce at BGB would be a great contact as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drumming up personal sponsors is probably a good idea, but it is hard to do without being a proven identity. Do you have any racing results from amateur series that you could bring with you to a "budget meeting"? I would start there.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

My take is that if you have the fully funded sponsors on board and ready to go you can probably get in to a seat. If you have the sponsors, and have been regularly beating a field of guys, then you certainly should be able to get in.

Without the sponsors it would be tough. Without the sponsors and the results it would be real tough to do now without your own money.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also check out the Grand Am forums. Often, teams will post seats available at discount prices on upcoming races, especially as it gets close to race time. These guys are right. There are VERY few pro drivers that don't pay for a seat and even fewer that actually get paid to race.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

I'm sorry if I made my self sound like I was asking for a free seat. I was just wondering what my possibilities in pro racing would be when I get to that stage.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a few guys get Mazda rides after going through the ranks of Spec Miata and winning the run-offs. If you can win there, you should be racing pro.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I have seen a few guys get Mazda rides after going through the ranks of Spec Miata and winning the run-offs. If you can win there, you should be racing pro.
Information is a couple years out of date, but I am sure if you contact Mazdaspeed, they could tell you "what's up".

http://mazdamotorsports.com/mazdaladdersystem.htm
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

Is Spec Miata cheap to run? Also what other series or cars would cost about the same to run as a Spec Miata? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 02:50 PM
SSILVER88
Cruisin'

I guess the thread title doesn't apply to what we are talking about now he he he
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
CAM14
Instructor

Would be helpful to better understand what you are calling “Pro Racing”. NASA calls all of there events “Pro Racing” but they are really club racing. MX5 Cup is a good intro to the pro racing ranks but think many (if not most) in that series are paying to drive. Spec Miata in both SCCA and NASA is very good club racing.

Not exactly what you asked but the best way to race at the pro level is to be well funded. Depending on you personal circumstances, that usually means having a good job. Best of luck to you
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Is Spec Miata cheap to run? Also what other series or cars would cost about the same to run as a Spec Miata? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Best "value" racing is in Spec Racer Ford (SCCA), Spec Miata (SM or SSM) (SCCA and NASA), Spec 944 and 944 Cup. If you're looking for a pro career, then Spec Miata seems good. A lot of the small-bore classes are also cheaper to run. You could also go to karts, and up the open-wheel ranks. (PS: When considering costs, you MUST decide whether you want to just get on track, or if you want a chance to win. You can get on track cheapest in SM/SSM, but for a chance to win, your price goes way up, and other groups start to looks cheaper. I went SRF despite a $15-18,000 start up cost because that price puts you in a competitive car on day one.)

You may want to rephrase the original question. Are you just looking to go racing (where you pay), or pro racing (where you pay).
Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

That is a big turn from professional racing to Spec Miata. There is not any cheap racing and most certainly not any cheap pro racing.

If you are running to win the natoinal titile in Spec Miata I would think a car would be in the $50,000 range and the "other" things would run as much again. Maybe less. Maybe more. There is a lot of info out there on SM.

That sounds expensive until you compare the cost of running a GT car in the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona. Probably a $150,000 week all in. If you got a main sponsor for half ($75,000), and three drivers, that still leaves $25,000 for each driver and his sponsors to pick up.

You can probably run for " fun" in SM for $10,000 car and another $5000 for the various costs depending on what you already have. You arent going to be knocking any top drivers looking for a ride out of the way for that though.

Probably about the same in other Spec series as this too. Lots of 944 Spec info and costs here on RL.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Another series a number of people use as a feeder series to "cost effectively" gain the skills to become a pro is the TDI Jetta Cup. A number of the current Grand Am ST and GS class "pros" got their start there.

Quick Reply: Any seats open?