Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The trouble with TRACK INSURANCE

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well DE at the lower levels really is driver education. Many drivers buy fast cars and don't know how to drive them properly. Novice DE drivers will learn alot and be better drivers on the road. The change over happens once you start to move up the groups.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True dat.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You are still missing the point, Kurt, by a mile.
Originally Posted by kurt M
Read your policy! It is a contract. It has the important details right there. Not in the policy? Not to worry. Many exclude driving on a track or surface intended for racing regardless of why you are on the surface. This knocks out DE or training days.
this one?

I think a lot of folks are paying for car insurance that, the insurance co can refuse to pay out on. Thats my point. As we both have said you need to read the policy. Many people don't read or don't read further than the totals and deductibles. Insurance companies are for the most part no longer tolerant of DE. Some companies policies vary state to state. If you are going to pay for insurance you should be sure it is for a policy that fits. Better to find out before you wad up the car and hurt the bus full of nuns.

Call and ask for a copy of your policy in full rather than asking questions.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

NOW we are in sync ! :thumbuup:
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Jon Schepps
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the original post, again.
Regarding Lockton, the value of the car is not set by the Kelly BB value. It is a stated value policy. The KBB is suggested as a base starting point, but then you can add in the cost of all your modifications and upgrades. The higher you state the value (and back it up if asked), the higher the premium.

Regarding them dropping you after a claim - I had the same experience with WSIB. They were great to deal with after totaling my car, paid promptly, but then would not re-insure my next car for 3 yrs. So I expect this is standard practice. But now they are out of the DE insurance biz, and only sell motorsports (competition) insurance.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Glen, I had the same thing with USAA. Back when I first got the spec car it was still street legal, so I called up USAA and told them I needed liability but forgo the comprehensive since I only needed it to and from the track... They tried to cancel my policy on the spot. I went through two more phone reps a manager and finally a regional manager before finally getting someone to talk rationally. This after being a customer with a prefect record and no accidents for 25 years...

So I can put the car in the trailer behind the truck park it in the garage and if it's all stolen or burns to the ground everything is covered but the car...so I told them not to bother, I went with Hagerty for storage/paddock/towing. Stupid that it could be so easy for them to do the same.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 145 Posts

MikeJim- going back to your original post . We insure $40,000 cars all day long in our program at a rate of $205.20 per event (if you sign up for 3 or more events) with a 5% deductible. In my opinion not a bad deal if you weigh losing $40,000. by not being insured.

Since I started my program 3+ years ago we have paid out a good amount of claims and I can tell you that as cars get faster and faster the amount of claims and severity will continue to increase unless we do a better job teaching the basics. As an instructor/coach/racer I think we need to do a better job conveying that it’s not a race. Students and solo drivers need to concentrate more on the lines, honing in their own ability and less on the speed factors. It was always taught to me as you develop the line the speed comes naturally . If you try to push the speed part you the learning curve becomes too steep and you start driving over your head. It’s a recipe for disaster in our modern day cars. I can tell you I see more accidents happening by drivers off line carrying too much speed then you can imaging.

The programs to insure DE have started to harden up. The reason for this is only due to the amount of losses. I think that the schools, sanctioning bodies and participants have to really look hard at ways to teach the craft in a safer environment. Cars of today are just way too fast for the average driver if they have not developed their skills. My street car is so much faster than my race car, they don’t even compare. That could be a scary mix in the wrong hands. If we all don’t do a better job on the track and in the classroom the programs may dry up all together and it will have a very serious impact on HPDE enrollment.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
MikeJim- going back to your original post . We insure $40,000 cars all day long in our program at a rate of $205.20 per event (if you sign up for 3 or more events) with a 5% deductible. In my opinion not a bad deal if you weigh losing $40,000. by not being insured.

Since I started my program 3+ years ago we have paid out a good amount of claims and I can tell you that as cars get faster and faster the amount of claims and severity will continue to increase unless we do a better job teaching the basics. As an instructor/coach/racer I think we need to do a better job conveying that it’s not a race. Students and solo drivers need to concentrate more on the lines, honing in their own ability and less on the speed factors. It was always taught to me as you develop the line the speed comes naturally . If you try to push the speed part you the learning curve becomes too steep and you start driving over your head. It’s a recipe for disaster in our modern day cars. I can tell you I see more accidents happening by drivers off line carrying too much speed then you can imaging.

The programs to insure DE have started to harden up. The reason for this is only due to the amount of losses. I think that the schools, sanctioning bodies and participants have to really look hard at ways to teach the craft in a safer environment. Cars of today are just way too fast for the average driver if they have not developed their skills. My street car is so much faster than my race car, they don’t even compare. That could be a scary mix in the wrong hands. If we all don’t do a better job on the track and in the classroom the programs may dry up all together and it will have a very serious impact on HPDE enrollment.
Well said. In the short 11 years I have been doing DEs I have seen a big change in the cars and expectations. Some of the changes have been for the better. I think the instructior training programs and other aspects from the club end are more refined. The cars are becoming something else altogether.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

10 years ago 300 hp was alot of hp. Heck a GT3 was only 360hp and that was a car you could not get in the USA. 993 Turbos had 400, but people respecte them any most did not track them unless they were skilled. Most cars were sub 320 hp at a DE.

Now... GT3 RS 4.0 has 500+ hp
Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
10 years ago 300 hp was alot of hp. Heck a GT3 was only 360hp and that was a car you could not get in the USA. 993 Turbos had 400, but people respecte them any most did not track them unless they were skilled. Most cars were sub 320 hp at a DE.

Now... GT3 RS 4.0 has 500+ hp
heck, a "stock" 930 had 260-300hp depending on the rating.. A Boxster/Cayman series car has between 240-330hp, superior suspension and brakes.

Sadly though, the basic drover skill hasn't changed in the intervening 30 years

Combine that with the explosion of the motorsports hobby and its no wonder large companies (ie, the statefarm/allstate etc) don't want to keep insuring folks for this stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts: Read and understand your written policy provided to you by your insurer. That document spells out what they will and will not pay for and under what circumstances. Beyond that, NEVER volunteer unsolicited information to your insurance company. And be careful asking them questions which is really the same thing as volunteering unsolicited information. Case in point: some years ago when we had a severe windstorm come through and it did some damage to my fence. I called USAA to ask them about what was and wasn't covered just for my information. I told them I did not want to file a claim, just wanted to understand what might be covered if I chose to. After the conversation, in which they asked me questions about the damage to the fence, I ended by telling them that I would not be filing a claim and would fix the damage out of my pocket (it was fairly minor). The next renewal cycle, I got a rate increase and when I inquired why, they referenced that phone call as my report of an "incident" that was now on my record. It didn't matter to them that I didn't file a claim. I will never make that mistake again.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:36 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
What am I missing here? I'm really curious what the rest of you do for insurance. Racers and DE guys.
on all our 4 cars i have cheapest possible policy from geico to cover state required minimums, if anything brakes i usually fix it myself. in last 12 years i had to use insurance once when i got a fender bended at mall parking lot.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
My thoughts: Read and understand your written policy provided to you by your insurer. That document spells out what they will and will not pay for and under what circumstances. Beyond that, NEVER volunteer unsolicited information to your insurance company. And be careful asking them questions which is really the same thing as volunteering unsolicited information. Case in point: some years ago when we had a severe windstorm come through and it did some damage to my fence. I called USAA to ask them about what was and wasn't covered just for my information. I told them I did not want to file a claim, just wanted to understand what might be covered if I chose to. After the conversation, in which they asked me questions about the damage to the fence, I ended by telling them that I would not be filing a claim and would fix the damage out of my pocket (it was fairly minor). The next renewal cycle, I got a rate increase and when I inquired why, they referenced that phone call as my report of an "incident" that was now on my record. It didn't matter to them that I didn't file a claim. I will never make that mistake again.
I have asked a friend with a different insurance co to make those "what if calls", and I have returned the favor.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 781 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
on all our 4 cars i have cheapest possible policy from geico to cover state required minimums, if anything brakes i usually fix it myself. in last 12 years i had to use insurance once when i got a fender bended at mall parking lot.
Only problem with that is the liability portion. When you hit something, you can choose to write off your own car and problems, but when somone sues, you're limiting yourself to lower amounts of help from the insurance company. Low limits often also preclude you from getting an umbrella policy, but that's a different discussion.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

Steve I'm going to call you- I just paid over $300 to Lockton for what I thought was an agreed $40K value only to find out (always read the policy- duh!) it isn't really agreed at all despite their advertising, web site and misleading promotion. If PCNA is supporting them (not sure but thought so) I think they need to be upfront about that.

Quick Reply: The trouble with TRACK INSURANCE