Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock Guru
Any update from AIM on a OBDII protocol that works on the 2011 GT3 RS 3.8L with the Solo DL?

I'm using a SOLO DL w/ a Smarty Cam. I will upgrade to a CAN hard wire when the Smarty Cam HD comes out.

-Troy
I've had the 997_987_MK2_OBDII protocol work on the following cars:

997.2 GT3 RS
987.2 Cayman R

http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...II_100_eng.pdf
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Troy

Have you downloaded the latest version of Race Studio? 02.47.04 (Dec 18th 2012) I was able to get an OBD to work with OBD II/CAN protoco before tis release, but AIM might have made improvements, I have not checked. I actually have a 2011 GT 3 RS here but in a trailer. When it comes out, I'll try to see if AIM has provided better protocols for this car

I have all the updated firmware and software. From the stock computer list I installed the "Porsche Computer" and use the 997 OBDII option. Seems to work ok. Data is a little slow reading on my Solo II. Did not get the gear selection feature to work. Not sure if it works with OBDII connection.

I assume the GPS location of tracks is updated each time you update te firmware on the Solo / Solo II? I updated my Smartycam and added all the track maps I will need already. I'm still learning the ins and outs of all the software.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rldzhao

Tell me if you used the OBD connection or hardwired to the CAN so I can update the Protocol table.

Troy, glad you have it all working. When you update software or firmware, it does not change the track info on your camera. However, sometimes they add better track information so when you connect to the SC the list might show one of your tracks as "not matching the database". In that case you should delete your map and add the new version.

Thanks

Jerry
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Did not get the gear selection feature to work. Not sure if it works with OBDII connection.
Gear is not available via OBDII connection. However, you can do a "calculated gear" option using RPM and speed.

Originally Posted by amso3
Rldzhao

Tell me if you used the OBD connection or hardwired to the CAN so I can update the Protocol table.
For the protocols I mentioned above, I used OBDII connection.

Last edited by cr2012; 05-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Glock Guru
Instructor

Originally Posted by rldzhao
Gear is not available via OBDII connection. However, you can do a "calculated gear" option using RPM and speed.

For the protocols I mentioned above, I used OBDII connection.

Thanks,
Richard@M-World

Hey Richard thanks again for the great service. I and starting to figure it all out. (LOL) When I go into video mode with the SC hooked up to the SOLO DL the SC tell me the Firmware in the Master need to be updated and will not record. I will record ok if the SC is by it self but connected to the SOLO DL and the SOLO DL connected to the OBDII.

The DL has FW 46 03 06 and the SC has firmware 01 03 10 and slave FW 47 07 04. This is the latest I can find.

Were is my missing link?

Thanks, -Troy
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Update on success on a 2010 997.2 GT3. It works with the exception of calculated gear, manifold press and fuel level. This screen is from me idling in the garage. Need to check configuration for gear calculation. Haven't had a chance to log any data between schedule and weather. So far so good thanks to Jerry!
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

Hey Richard thanks again for the great service. I and starting to figure it all out. (LOL) When I go into video mode with the SC hooked up to the SOLO DL the SC tell me the Firmware in the Master need to be updated and will not record. I will record ok if the SC is by it self but connected to the SOLO DL and the SOLO DL connected to the OBDII.

The DL has FW 46 03 06 and the SC has firmware 01 03 10 and slave FW 47 07 04. This is the latest I can find.

Were is my missing link?

Thanks, -Troy
Two things to double check - when you have the SC hooked up to the DL, the DL needs to be getting power. Also, you can't tell the SC to start recording with buttons on the DL. You have to do it by driving where it will automatically start recording.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Update on real data acquisition. Captain I think we have something here.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I have a 1987 951 with the stock dash still in place. I want to mount my AIM Solo and am looking for mounting ideas. Ideally I would like it where I can see it at the track but can't see a good place to mount it.

Searched this thread for ideas but it appears there are no 944/951 owners.

Anyone have any ideas or pictures? Many thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have a 1987 951 with the stock dash still in place. I want to mount my AIM Solo and am looking for mounting ideas. Ideally I would like it where I can see it at the track but can't see a good place to mount it.

Searched this thread for ideas but it appears there are no 944/951 owners.

Anyone have any ideas or pictures? Many thanks!
I use a suction cup mounted low and to the left of the wheel, but above the dash.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-18-2013, 04:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,383 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I use a suction cup mounted low and to the left of the wheel, but above the dash.
I drive with NASA occasionally and they do not allow the use of suction cups. Thanks for the reply, though. I need to keep thinking - next month is the first track day of the season at Lime Rock!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

I'd have to do some searching, but some of the BMW guys use a mount that connects to the AC vents. There is one that goes in CD slot too. The suction cup is way better though.

Edit: Found one of the photos http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/AiMmount.jpg Google images "aim solo mount" amd you'll get lost of stuff.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Mountek or vent slot mount might work. See this thread: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10870208
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Software and firmware released

AIM just released an update to Race Studio 2, Smarty Manager and Firmware updates for the Pista and the SOLO. The firmware fixes a glitch which caused partial data download. Go to the AIM site and download the latest (02/26/13). If you've never done firmware updates it is real easy. After you load the updater, connect your equipment to the computer and click the Icon on your desktop, it will check to see if you have the latest version and ask if you want to update.

Go here for downloads http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/download/index.htm
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know how the AIM Solo figures out how it is installed in order for the internal gyro to work? Since we turn the display towards the pilot (same install as in the GTR picture above) it isn't 100% straight and I am under the impression that even after calibrating the sensors the lat/lon isn't 100% correct (you can clearly see this in an X/Y lat/lon plot. It isn't straight but rotated a bit).

Anyone care to share his knowledge about this?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399