Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

I just received my first few AIM Solo lap timers. These units are GPS based lap timers, no more beacons to mess with. You can load all tracks into it's memory so you don't need to tell it which track you are at, it will recognize the track by coordinates. This is a small unit and can be mounted on the dash or buy a nice RAM suction cup mount. It is powered by a cigarette lighter adapter. Perfect for using in your street/track car.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/s...at-is-solo.htm

This is a great unit and included "predictive lap timing" which will show you a predicted lap time if after the first lap is loaded, based on how you are driving. I love this feature on my AIM Pista.

The price of the unit is $399 plus the $45 for the suction mount if you want that, $16.00 shipping (US only!).

Here's the kicker. AIM is working on a "DL" version which will connect to the ECU (potentially) and to a Smarty Cam. This will not be available for a few months. If you want to upgrade to the DL and Smarty cam when it comes out, I will give you full credit for this non-DL unit toward the DL and Smarty Cam package. Obviously, I'd expect you to return the unit in excellent condition, with all of the accessories and box, so keep it all together. I'll keep this offer available to you for 3 months after the DL is available. Each buyer would receive an e-mail from me with more details.

Please e-mail me at jandsaustin1 at verizon.net
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do the features compare with a Traqmate Complete?

I see the tech specs include 3-axis accelerometers. Do you know what frequency the data is recorded at?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:39 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I believe the GPS sample frequency is 10 cycles per sec, but I'll verify that. I can't compare to Traqmate, I've never used one.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks pretty interesting for the price. I would certainly have tried one of those when I first got into data collection.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM
teamking
Pro

I'm gonna try one and see how it compares to a traqmate.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know some feedback. Especially if you can sync it with video other than the Smarty Cam.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks fantastic
Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the dl going to be priced at? Looks like a great unit, and should make swapping between cars a breeze.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:27 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Default AIM SOLO DL

I believe the DL will be $699 list. That should come with an OBD connector. The DL will have a second connector that will provide a link to a Smarty Cam so you can get data on the video. Looks like a great package. AIM tells me that these will be available soon, but they always seem to take longer than stated.

As far as swapping between cars goes, you'll need to swap to another car with the same ECU OR reprogram the unit to accept the new protocol. Not a big deal if you like playing with laptops at the track.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

just emailed you. Looks awesome. Want one.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I did confirm that GPS samples at 10 Hz. I think this is going to be a great entry level unit. It has twice as much internal memory than my Pista dash has.....

Technical characteristics
Integrated track database included
Accelerometer: tri-axial ± 6G
Size: 98x78x30
Weight: 220g, battery included
Display resolution: 128x64
Waterproof IP65
Internal battery: rechargeable lithium battery
Battery duration: up to 4 hours with back light, up to 6 hours without backlight
External power: 12 Volt
Magnetic support included
Memory: 16 MB
Usage temperatures: -20°C/+60°C
Old 08-17-2011, 12:40 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Very elegant and simple! And very tempting.

So, Solo DL + Smarty Cam, or Video Vbox Lite???
Old 08-17-2011, 01:14 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

One of our users has a Solo DL. The data is processed through AiM Race Studio, and looks like data from any of AiM's loggers. GPS data is included, along with RPM, oil temp, coolant temp, steering angle, brake pressure, and MAP pressure. He's having a struggle to get some channels including Gear, Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure and IAT which are present in the OBD stream but are not being logged. Vehicle is a Boxster. He's working with AiM on that. Based on the data I'm seeing, it looks like a nice package.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Tony, but what am I missing here? The op says that AIM is "working" on a DL version, and that it will be available in a "few months". Yet, one of your users has the Solo DL, and there is a picture of it on the AIM website (and above)???
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Its possible that my user has a pre-release that AiM USA have put out to a few users as a field test before full release. Jerry [OP] definitely knows more about the shipping schedule that I do. We work closely with all the logger vendors, and see tons of logger data from our users, but but we don't sell any logger products. Just an odd coincidence that I was looking at the Solo DL data when this thread popped up.

Another interesting point is that the OBDII data appears to be at a relatively high sample rate [10Hz]. Cars with CAN-based OBDII systems are capable of decent data rates, but older OBDII systems are horribly slow. Typical channel refresh rates are > 1Hz. It possible that AiM's software is extrapolating data values between actual OBDII samples, which would be very nice. I need to ask AiM about that.

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399