Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback: Stilo Helmets

Anybody own a Stilo or have info regarding quality of the helmet itself and the accessories, i.e., electronics, water, air connections. Are they durable? Can the accessories be repaired if necessay?

I have had an Arai - Air on order for 6-8 weeks and no delivery date or info regarding production, so I'm thinking about buying something else. I need a helmet with a high back profile (fits a short neck). I'm going to try these on these weekend.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
JClark
Instructor

I have one. Construction quality is great, the integrated electronics are AWESOME. Water is pretty standard. The side air port is just a hose pointing toward your face, better than nothing but nothing special. The top forced air is a little ghetto in my opinion. Search for images if you haven't seen it. Overall I've been very happy with it and would do it again.

Edit: The head opening is smaller than many helmets and will take some getting used to. The eye port is smaller than the standard Bell and Arai wide versions.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Bob Zecca at Driving Impressions. He imports them and knows all about them. He was very proudly demonstrating the top line version to me the other day at NJMP, it looks fantastic.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

They make and wide eyeport version which is what I ordered from Arai.
Without the visor they look pretty nice. Add the visor and they remind me of the trom Troopers in Star Wars. Not a great look.

The air is not channeled around the helmet?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
dan360
Advanced

http://stilo-usa.com/helmets there are both narrow and wide openings, I have the ST4-W 8858reg helmet (the 8860 is the F1 standard and super expensive). I really like it and replaced an Arai GP5 when I replaced my 2005 helmets with 2010s. Joe Marko at HMS motorsports is the importer for the USA, so he's the man for questions. He can spec a helmet to your requirements in terms of which side radio is, whether you have the plumbed in sound or ear plugs, water, air etc. Lighter than my GP5-W and actually for me more comfortable also - really snug, but doesn't put as much pressure on my face.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stand 21 are the very small opening's.. Stilo makes a wide version.

I will be replacing my Arai GP5W with a Stilo because they offer a wide eye port
Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Solid construction, one of the best helmets on the market imo. The wide version is great, and the ear muffs make for a great communicator setup.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on Stilo.
Great helmet, fits great, electronics are fantastic and the ear muffs work great at noise cancellation. No more ringing in my ear after a long race.

Driving Impressions was great, and matched the lowest price I could find. You can have the helmet delivered directly to you or to any of his stores. I ordered mine and it was waiting for me at NJMP.

You will need a special Stilo radio connector, the connection is a male-male connection. You can order from Speedcom for $89.
Charlie
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by onelove
Solid construction, one of the best helmets on the market imo. The wide version is great, and the ear muffs make for a great communicator setup.
I have the wide version. I mentioned it's small eye port because even the wide version is smaller than most and could bother some people.

Originally Posted by chas911
You will need a special Stilo radio connector, the connection is a male-male connection. You can order from Speedcom for $89.
Charlie
HMS should have one too now.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Stilo Helmets versus Arai

The majority of our Arai customers are switching to Stilo and are very pleased with them. If you use a radio, the electronics are outstanding. I currently have an Arai GP5K. When it expires, I will be switching over to a Stilo. The eyeport on the ST4 GTW is slightly larger than the ST4F. You can also get different sized cheek and crown pads to customize the fit.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...ag=3&brand=123

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I got mine from Stan at Wilson Racing www.wilsonracing.com His shop is 5 minutes from my house so it was no brainer... I just got it a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten to use it yet, but from what I can seem, it's gonna be awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about them... Really looking forward to the ear muffs
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Stilo, and +1 for Linda and Clark at Apex Performance. Great helmet and vendor combo. I love mine. It was pretty snug in the beginning but after a few outings I'm able to wear my head sock again. The built in earmuff/radio speakers are great. I used to have to wear my radio earplugs even when not running a radio as my car is pretty loud inside. But not with the Stilo, slip it on and its nice and quiet.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm a fan of the Stilo helmet and have regularly had great service from Joe Marko at HMS. At two points I think the advertising copy for this helmet is a bit off, though.

1. In an emergency exit from the car I believe that the hydration connectors will break or the connector will pull out of the tubing. In any event I convinced myself that the tubing would not prevent my exit. The advertising copy on this point ("With a small force, the coupling disengages, leaving the driver free to evacuate the car.") is not as precise as it might be. That text suggests that in a non-emergency but quick driver change one need not depress the small metal catch to disengage the coupling. One does need to press that or the coupling will probably require replacement after each such use.

2. The description of the anti-backflow valve ("There is an Anti-backflow valve integrated into the quick coupling that prevents leakage back into the holding tank or upon disengagement making it perfect for multiple driver situations.") could also use some revision. To my mind, an anti-backflow valve permits the flow of liquid only one way, in this case from the holding tank to the driver. That is not the case here--it is perfectly possible when the coupling is connected for the driver to blow liquid or air back into the holding tank. The couplings do, however, block the flow of liquid upon disengagement. I call that a dry-break coupling, not an anti-backflow valve. That is not as good for multiple driver situations because it does not prevent leakage back into the holding tank as the advertising copy claims.

Minor points, but I noticed them. I concur that the electronics are first class and very useful. I did have to buy three connectors, though, to link the helmet to NASCAR, US IMSA and Chatterbox devices. I have not yet needed the European IMSA connector, but I will next year. That will make four, and they are not cheap. Worth it, though.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
+1 for Stilo, and +1 for Linda and Clark at Apex Performance. Great helmet and vendor combo.
Another happy Apex customer, and they had the best pricing. It's a nice hat. I went from an Arai to a Stilo and have been happy so far.

Clark and Linda were excellent, considering how many options these helmets have you need someone knowledgeable on the other end.

Mine is set up with integrated speakers in ear muffs, water, radio, thin cheek pads, carbon peak visor and a top mounted air vent hose adapter that also delivers air to the brow (not installed in the pic). The chin strap is nice and long too, unlike in my Arai.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 776 Posts

IMO, Stand21 and Stilo make the best consumer-accessible helmets on the market today (obviously, Schuberth is a bit out of reach for us financial mortals).

Quick Reply: Feedback: Stilo Helmets