Sponsored by:

Pacific Northwest tracks: write-up on Oregon Raceway Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
ORP was built by a consortium of longtime local racers who came together as a group to fund the track themselves. It was truly a grassroots effort, but several key members are Ron Tanner, Mike Conatore, and Bill Murray.

Scouting for appropriate properties took several years before a site was found in a rural community just east of Mt Hood, about 2 hours from Portland. Since zoning needed to be changed, it was vital to work with the community of Grass Valley to demonstrate the nature of events that would be held, and to deal with the usual questions of traffic, noise, etc. The principle members spent many long weekends at the site designing the track, refining the layout, building flag stations, and taking care of other infrastructure like communications. Once the layout was complete the big machines were brought in for grading and paving. The final layout is designed for club racing, HPDE, and motorcycle and karting events. No big pro events, no NASCAR, just local grassroots motorsport.

After a couple of years of operation the track has a good relationship with Grass Valley, using locals for things like catering, facility service, and more, which provides jobs in a community with high unemployment. Locals are invited to the year end dinner after our last race each fall.

ORP still could use some facility enhancement like permanent bathrooms and showers, more power around the paddock, and maybe some more paved paddock space. It is an ongoing effort due to the self financing, but each year things will get a little better, and the track is just awesome to race on.

This same model is being used in the new Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton, WA... pavement just went down last week there. We have a great group of racers up here in the PNW, people who really focus on the community. In 2012 we are going to have a truly stellar set of 4 tracks within 3 hours tow, and another 2 inside a 6 hour tow.

Race video from early this year: http://vimeo.com/24534401
That's a truly remarkable story!! Local community support is vital. Community resistance is what killed Club Motorsports: http://www.clubmotorsports.com/

So who owns ORP - the track guys who ran with the project?
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes sir, the founding members formed an LLC to manage the track. But the owners are there in their own race cars gridded up right next to you. No faceless corporation, or like the Portland track, city council to deal with.

From a community perspective, for a tiny speck on the map to have a track full of Porsches (and other lesser cars ) roll in, take up the few hotel rooms, and spend a few bucks is a god send. There really isn't much else to do out there other than farm. I wouldn't doubt that we'll even see some new businesses pop up out there to support track use, even if only seasonally.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

The track pavement seems to be in reasonably good shape on the vids.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Very cool track tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PxUdfsZtRzc
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts

Asphalt finally laid at The ridge!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Nevermind.... 250 miles or so. Could be worse.
If it's mostly 250 miles of highway, that's not bad at all!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

I have about 20 days at ORP in the last 2 years and the place is just phenomenal compared with our current local alternatives - pacific raceways just outside of Seattle and Portland International in Portland.

The picture of the motel parking lot - tall winds motel in Moro, Or - $54 per night, flat screen tv's, ac, etc and 10 miles from track.

There are several houses available for rent in grass valley and surrounding towns as well.

The owners group is great to deal with, the track is wonderful (barn or no barn) and it can be run in either direction.

What it lacks in amenities it more than makes up for with character.

It is about a 5 hour drive from metro Seattle and if you take I90 east to 97 south it is a pretty nice drive.

It is a must try if you are in bc, the NW or nor cal

We run some private 2 day lapping days there during the season where it is open track, fully supported with emt's and corner workers and you can drive to your hearts content from 8-5 for about $300 per day (1 hour break for lunch - breakfast and lunch can be purchased on site). We have been organizing group dinners after with a local caterer.

Regionally we are all excited about The Ridge track that is currently being developed as well.

If you have any interest in our private days, pm me your real name and email and a little something about your experience level and I will submit them for inclusion to our invite list.

I think allanj can attest to the quality of the track days and traditionally we have had pro driver bj Zacharias on hand for coaching and data analysis and blitzkrieg Motorwerks out of bc for trackside support.

Get out there - you will not regret it.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I have about 20 days at ORP in the last 2 years and the place is just phenomenal compared with our current local alternatives - pacific raceways just outside of Seattle and Portland International in Portland.

The picture of the motel parking lot - tall winds motel in Moro, Or - $54 per night, flat screen tv's, ac, etc and 10 miles from track.

There are several houses available for rent in grass valley and surrounding towns as well.

The owners group is great to deal with, the track is wonderful (barn or no barn) and it can be run in either direction.

What it lacks in amenities it more than makes up for with character.

It is about a 5 hour drive from metro Seattle and if you take I90 east to 97 south it is a pretty nice drive.

It is a must try if you are in bc, the NW or nor cal

We run some private 2 day lapping days there during the season where it is open track, fully supported with emt's and corner workers and you can drive to your hearts content from 8-5 for about $300 per day (1 hour break for lunch - breakfast and lunch can be purchased on site). We have been organizing group dinners after with a local caterer.

Regionally we are all excited about The Ridge track that is currently being developed as well.

If you have any interest in our private days, pm me your real name and email and a little something about your experience level and I will submit them for inclusion to our invite list.

I think allanj can attest to the quality of the track days and traditionally we have had pro driver bj Zacharias on hand for coaching and data analysis and blitzkrieg Motorwerks out of bc for trackside support.

Get out there - you will not regret it.
+1

ORP is simply an awesome track. Videos can never do it justice with all the hills and experiencing how the car feels as you drive your own personal rollercoaster. It's a very technically challenging track that is a joy to drive.

The group that PJ and I run with are a fantastic group of guys too. I happily drive down to Oregon from Canada to go to these track days several times a year. The track is excellent, the group is the best and the lapping format (open lapping, go on/off when you want and pass anywhere with a point) is perfect for us. If something happens to your car, Blitzkrieg Autowerks has got your back. Fantastic guys.

...and about the barn, I wish it was still there too. It was really cool. It's funny when those of us who were there in the first year and experienced the barn, still refer to T4 as "the barn". Especially to newbies who have no idea what we're talking about.

Cheers,
Old 11-10-2011, 03:12 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

What Barn?! I am not looking at the scenery, I am trying to stay ahead of you guys in your GT3's!

All kidding aside, it is a double black diamond of race tracks, and very safe if you make a mistake. I run with PJS and Allan, and we have a great group of drivers, and have a lot of respect for each other on the track.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
gigharbor1
Track Day

Unfortunately, the barn had to be removed due to the dreaded "I" word (insurance). If you are in the NW, the track season is relatively short due to weather. ORP's location allows for fairly predictable sunshine in the spring, summer and fall. And the greatest thing about it is the free market culture as a rental property for enthusiasts, and is highly loved by cars, bikes and race karts. If you want to rent the track, you contact the track office and work out the days. There is no gate keeper, no politics. And you can run it both directions!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hot Oil
Instructor

[QUOTE=AllanJ;9012994]+1

ORP is simply an awesome track. Videos can never do it justice with all the hills and experiencing how the car feels as you drive your own personal rollercoaster. It's a very technically challenging track that is a joy to drive.

The group that PJ and I run with are a fantastic group of guys too. I happily drive down to Oregon from Canada to go to these track days several times a year. The track is excellent, the group is the best and the lapping format (open lapping, go on/off when you want and pass anywhere with a point) is perfect for us. If something happens to your car, Blitzkrieg Autowerks has got your back. Fantastic guys.

...and about the barn, I wish it was still there too. It was really cool. It's funny when those of us who were there in the first year and experienced the barn, still refer to T4 as "the barn". Especially to newbies who have no idea what we're talking about.

+2

Running with the Porsche Train at ORP has been the best of all track time I have done in 14 years combined, in BC or the PNW. The Porsche Train group is the best ever group to share a track with and track speaks for itself. It's nirvanna for most of us.

Bob
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Cheyne
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BJZ in my cup car, my fastest was a 1:44.4 on new tires, i think BJ does a 1:41.7 in this on cycled out tires
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

My buddy just did a track day at the Ridge last weekend and posted 3 videos from it here:
http://www.onehotlap.com/2012/05/one...ate-ridge.html
Looks like a lot of fun with these elevation changes. 1:41 is a pretty fast lap, Cheyne, what speed are you hitting on the straight? A bit surprised about the "corkscrew" comments in the write-up, though - it is supposed to be fairly slow by design...
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Been there 1 time looking forward to more days this summer!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Earlier this week at ORP

Quick Reply: Pacific Northwest tracks: write-up on Oregon Raceway Park