Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield mount for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM
jamm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what you guys are referring too. I can video in parallel with all the data capture(run it so that start stop on the video is the same for start stop on the session). i can then either pull the video out separately without the data overlay, or layer the data on it into a separate video file. Video editing can then capture whatever portion of the video you want to save.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:41 PM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What model of Tom Tom mount has power

Do you know what model of Tom Tom it is? The link doesn't work anymore!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sdharmani
Do you know what model of Tom Tom it is? The link doesn't work anymore!
This is an old thread so the product is probably no longer available. There's a useful Accessories forum for Harry's Lap Timer that discusses various GPS's, OBD's and mounts. My solution is an iPhone, Dual GPS (5 Hz rate), BT-1 for OBD and a Ram mount. See http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewforum.php?f=6. Dave
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a ram mount attached to the rear view mirror stalk, it makes a very clean install - great for Harry's Laptimer.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrenan
I use a ram mount attached to the rear view mirror stalk, it makes a very clean install - great for Harry's Laptimer.
I want to move away from the suction cup and this sounds promising. Which RAM mount? TIA, Dave
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I want to move away from the suction cup and this sounds promising. Which RAM mount? TIA, Dave
I would guess the suction cup is much safer than mounting it to the rear view mirror. The mirrio mount is only designed to hold the mirror on. The Ram mount will hold much more.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I would guess the suction cup is much safer than mounting it to the rear view mirror. The mirrio mount is only designed to hold the mirror on. The Ram mount will hold much more.
I have the large Ram suction cup and it is very strong. My concern is whether PCA will allow suction mounted cameras in their DE. Any advice? Dave
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

This kit will get you everything you need, its technically to mount a phone to a bar on a bike, but it uses a unversal u-bolt approach that works well on rear view mirrors as well:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

They do sell mirror mounts that replace the stock mount and hold both the mirror and the phone, but only for the usual suspects (Ford, GM, Chrysler) I couldn't see anything for Porsche.

Here's a crappy picture of mine:

Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 784 Likes on 508 Posts

I have the large Ram suction cup and it is very strong. My concern is whether PCA will allow suction mounted cameras in their DE. Any advice? Dave
It's a region decision. NCR will allow it provided it's tight and less than the weight of a SOLO.

This kit will get you everything you need, its technically to mount a phone to a bar on a bike, but it uses a unversal u-bolt approach that works well on rear view mirrors as well:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

They do sell mirror mounts that replace the stock mount and hold both the mirror and the phone, but only for the usual suspects (Ford, GM, Chrysler) I couldn't see anything for Porsche.

Here's a crappy picture of mine:

No way I would mount a phone on the mirror with only the little peice of glue holding it on the windshield.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
No way I would mount a phone on the mirror with only the little peice of glue holding it on the windshield.
Luckily you don't have to, suction cups are available from the same manufacturer.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:55 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

This kit will get you everything you need,
Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mophie.com has some mounting attachments for the iphone (including a wide angle "over" lens). But, this may be for a different application (camera) than what you have in mind.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I attached a 5 case to my old 4s windshield mount. To be honest it works better than the tom tom mount, especially on bumpy sebring. I also use a dual external gps antenna that connects via bluetooth and gives me much more accurate car placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKJz8...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Windshield mount for iPhone