Is Norbert Singer a prophet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Norbert Singer a prophet?

Can Singer predict the future?

I have been going through my magazines trying to decide which ones are worth keeping in an effort to thin the herd a bit (I only have a few hundred magazines on shelves...everywhere).

So, I found one that had an interview with Norbert Singer in it, and obviously I had to keep it. Thoroughbred and Classic Cars May 2000 issue. Reading it today over lunch I saw this little excerpt.

"With such a perspective of racing in the past 30 years and in the mood of the new millennium, the conversation moves on to sports car racing's crystal ball - to consider the Le Mans racer of 30 years time.

"I think it will look very similar. They may change their shape again, but the idea of a two-seat sports car will continue.' He agrees it is the form of propulsion that may change. Perhaps a turbo-diesel will win Le Mans in the future? Why not? For the diesel I think the time is coming. It is a good approach to try new things."

I was a bit taken aback, but not entirely surprised. The man is a genius...
Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on who you think is the cart and who is the horse.

He's a prophet if you assume the regs are driving the manufacturers. I would argue that the manufacturers are driving the regs and all he did in that article is give you some insight as to what is being discussed in the boardroom at that time knowing the reg bodies who, in their best interest, will fall in line so the manufacturers stay in racing.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

read his book 24:16...great stories.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
I guess it depends on who you think is the cart and who is the horse.

He's a prophet if you assume the regs are driving the manufacturers. I would argue that the manufacturers are driving the regs and all he did in that article is give you some insight as to what is being discussed in the boardroom at that time knowing the reg bodies who, in their best interest, will fall in line so the manufacturers stay in racing.
If that is the case, then why did it take 6 years before Audi showed up with the R10? Also, why would Porsche's engineer have any idea what's happening at Audi. (This was WELL before Porsche became a part of the VAG empire).

Quick Reply: Is Norbert Singer a prophet?