Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for data logger/predictive timer/video overlay systems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Recommendations for data logger/predictive timer/video overlay systems?

I am starting to think about picking up a more advanced data acquisition system than the fairly basic (though cheap and easy) Harry's Lap Timer Pro I am currently using on my iPhone. From reading extensively the posts on this forum it's becoming clear to me how valuable data logging can be to analyze and improve my techniques.

I am wondering if there is a clear favorite out there for which system is best. I've searched the forum and it seems folks have lots of opinions, but I haven't seen a recent summary of what's available, and how well it works. I know, for example, that in the past people have had issues getting Traqmate set up and working properly, and there have also been a few posts about frustrations with RaceKeeper. But I also know these companies update their software fairly frequently and these issues may have been addressed and fixed.

What I'm looking for is a fairly comprehensive package including both an in-car display for predictive timing and also data logging, presumably via OBDII input, for later analysis on a PC. I'd also like to be able to integrate video and create videos with overlays of track maps and gauges.

Are any of the systems reasonably portable? It seems it would be useful to be able to drop the data analysis unit into a friends car and compare his lines/braking points/turn in points etc to mine. I realize such a portable device wouldn't easily be able to plug into the OBDII port, so that data wouldn't be recorded.

Also, I already have a GoPro camera, so being able to use that without having to buy another camera is a plus (though the GoPro microphone is so awful for exterior mounting I might be better off starting over and selling the GoPro on Craig's list....). I see Traqmate now offers GoPro support, but if they haven't improved their user-friendliness and ease of set up I'm not sure it would be worth it just to have the GoPro interface.

Any strong opinions on RaceKeeper vs. Traqmate, or other systems I may have overlooked, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Both RaceKeeper & TraqMater are very good IMO. RaceKeeper maye be a bit easier to use & get into, and in addition I find its integration of data and video to be superior. In fact, IIRC, there is one for sale lightly used here on RL by user "tomburdge". Another choice ot look at is SmartyCam, but its data may not be as robust as you want.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Traqmate Traqdash is the best I've used. Had no problems & just love it's higher res, color display.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Aim SoloDL

Best bang for the buck and you can get to the CAN to get more data on most later cars.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
I haven't seen a recent summary of what's available, and how well it works.

What I'm looking for is a fairly comprehensive package including both an in-car display for predictive timing and also data logging, presumably via OBDII input, for later analysis on a PC. I'd also like to be able to integrate video and create videos with overlays of track maps and gauges.

Are any of the systems reasonably portable?

I see Traqmate now offers GoPro support....

Any strong opinions on RaceKeeper vs. Traqmate, or other systems I may have overlooked, would be appreciated. Thanks.
A current summary should include:

Traqmate/GoPro HD and HD2: Pros: Easy to use because of limited parameter choices, predictive lap timing available from Classic Dash or new TraqDash, easy to overlay user configurable data onto video using TraqStudio software after data recording. Able to create YouTube, DVD and e-mail video files. Automated power on/off and synchronized recording to bring up video within the data window. The only system that can put together a video theoretical best lap except for MoTec. Video quality exceptional. Only native HD solution right now. Cons: No OBD-II capability. Two-box system (display and sensor unit-camera) means data and video downloads are separate. Not particularly rugged. About $1750-$1800 for Traqmate Classic Complete with GoPro HD2 and interface. $2250-$2300 for Traqmate TraqDash Complete with GoPro HD2 and interface.

Race-Keeper: Pros: One-box system, multi-camera ready, great side-by-side video comparisons, able to stream video with optional extra over cell phone, good software with limited parameter choices. Can output video files with user configurable data overlay after recording. Rugged (HE). Limited CAN and OBD-II support. Outputs video file only and rk data file to be combined later in Comparo software. Cons: Video quality not as good as others. Accelerometers must be calibrated. Odd, bulky packaging. No predictive lap timing at this time. Output to iDash planned for next release. About $1700 Race-Keeper SE, $1900 Race-Keeper HE plus OBD-II connectors and other options.

Video VBOX Lite: Pros: One-box system, two cameras included. Great side-by side video. Best quality SD video, good software with limited parameters. Fully configurable video background editor. Outputs finished video file for instant use. Limited CAN and OBD-II support. Very small packaging that is mounting position independent due to no accelerometers. Can output files to YouTube, DVD or e-mail. GPS-justified track position for video comparison and real-time predictive lap timing with optional OLED dash is terrific. Auto track feature for timing and map onscreen. Cons: Video output has overlay on it processed real-time, can't change it later. Somewhat clumsy configuration software with a learning curve. Not terribly robust. About $1850 with CAN cable, $2370 with the OLED dash display.

AiM Solo DL/SmartyCam: Pros: Dash display with integrated predictive lap timing. CAN and OBD-II support. Can overlay limited information on video. VERY powerful software (RaceStudio2), embedded track information for lap timing and maps on video using SmartyManager. Integrated video power on/off and recording using Solo DL. Rugged packaging. Great support. Cons: Two-box system (Solo and SmartyCam), two downloads (dash USB and MicroSD for video), not possible to synchronize video with graphs of data in the same window. Learning curve for configuration and setup. About $1800 for SoloDL/SmartyCam and mount.

For people that want A) an integrated, data overlaid video solution with B) predictive lap timing and C) don't want to screw with stuff, basically see useful information in 30 seconds, I recommend the Video VBOX Lite. If you can handle the clunky packaging and spend a little more time setting it up after your run, the Race-Keeper works well with only a ding in video quality.

For the best basic data/video solution with some limitations, I recommend Traqmate with GoPro or ChaseCam. I've found Traqmate to be the simplest to access the information and one of the most reliable systems out there.

For the most expandable and powerful solution, I recommend the AiM products...

The Traqmate, VVBL and AiM are reasonably portable.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Both RaceKeeper & TraqMate are very good IMO. RaceKeeper maye be a bit easier to use & get into, and in addition I find its integration of data and video to be superior. In fact, IIRC, there is one for sale lightly used here on RL by user "tomburdge". Another choice ot look at is SmartyCam, but its data may not be as robust as you want.
VR's lead is a good one, that Race-Keeper is a deal.

The SmartyCam by itself will not output usable data files. You need another logger for that. It makes sense to use the Solo DL and have it as a slave to that.

Heck, I've seen people using Traqmate with SmartyCam and an ECU bridge using the SC video in TraqStudio because they liked that combo!

They're all good and will work for you just fine. Just pick the features most important to you.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will have to learn either an IQ3 or a G2X. Or both. How are they? I'd like to add HD cameras to that. Replay XD? Or Contour HD?

c.

Last edited by Charles A. Toupin; 01-05-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Adding camera question
Old 01-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

Peter also wrote a great review of systems at http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...e-to-edit.html
Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I have Race Keeper....very easy to use but like Peter said the so called HD video ain't HD...but you can line the video up with the squiggly lines and compare runs very easy. Race Keep and Trqmate are what I see the most at the track.

Thanks Peter for the quick detailed review...sweet!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Exigent
Track Day

I currently have the ChaseCam PDR100 for video & have just begun researching data loggers.

Does anyone have experience with the ChaseCam DM10 data logger? Seems like an economical choice (@$400) since I already have video.

Trying to decide if I should add thhe data logger ( any compatible brad) or start over with a new system.

Last edited by Exigent; 01-06-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Exigent
I currently have the ChaseCam PDR100 for video & have just begun researching data loggers.

Trying to decide if I should add thhe data logger ( any compatible brad) or start over with a new system.
I have no experience with the DM10 add-on, however that might be the most economical way to go.

If you have the PDR-100 (which is a wonderful, rugged and very reliable device), I would add a Traqmate Basic (if you don't need a dash) or Complete (somewhat easier data transfer, adds laptop-less setup capability and a small display with lap times, predictive lap timing and other information), plus a TraqSync cable (for the Traqmate to control the PDR-100 power on/off and recording) and TraqStudio software (to mate the video and data and to generate video for archive, YouTube and DVD) and go with what you have.

The PDR-100 video quality is just fine, the same as Race-Keeper and Race Technology Video4 and you can turn off the on-screen display that the PDR-100 embeds to keep it clean for later. Just update the firmware to the latest (.14?).

Of course, there's a wiring harness available to plug and play with a MoTeC ADL in the Cup cars...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

>two downloads (dash USB and MicroSD for video),

Solo DL claims to have a mode when it records all race data into MicroSD card in the smartycam, so you just extract card out and get all data from it. i did not test it yet.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Check out the Performance Box. I've been using it for years. It does not have video liken the Video Vbox so it's cheaper. And it can be suction mounted in the car for DE car swap. The only downside is the input module is separate and is hard wired (not OBD port) so you couldn't get RPM and throttle in a swapped car. Cost is around 500 for the Box but the input module is separate. Has predictive mode as well.

Post event software is pretty good as well, but not so sophisticated that it's hard to decipher info. Data can be exported to track vision for overlay. I use a go pro and it works fine.

IMO, this is one of the cheapest solutions that has input from the car AND the logging box can be moved from car to car using cigarette lighter power.

-td
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
>two downloads (dash USB and MicroSD for video),

Solo DL claims to have a mode when it records all race data into MicroSD card in the smartycam, so you just extract card out and get all data from it. i did not test it yet.
I have tested it and it's not yet up and running. To be released in the next firmware. There are files, just not that you can read.

Originally Posted by himself
Check out the Performance Box. I've been using it for years.

Post event software is pretty good as well, but not so sophisticated that it's hard to decipher info. Data can be exported to track vision for overlay. I use a go pro and it works fine.
-td
Racelogic, the folks that make the Performance Box, also make the Video VBOX. The old Performance Tools software has been updated to Circuit Tools, which works with the .vbo data files generated by both devices. Pretty cool stuff! The Performance Box also has a crude (same as the Traqmate Classic Display) monochromatic display for lap times and IIRC, predictive.

Still, I think that the addition of video, real time, with data overlay is SO valuable that if you can afford it, buy a whole package instead of messing with the piecemeal, data+video+post process editing=final product deal.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did a bit of searching.

I was thinking to buy the Trackvision software to use with my Racepak IQ3 and buy 2 bullet cams, either Contour or Replay.

But I would have like to have a systems that goes on automatically and where I don't have to recharge the batteries (hard wired).

Is this possible?

tx

c.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
I did a bit of searching.

I was thinking to buy the Trackvision software to use with my Racepak IQ3 and buy 2 bullet cams, either Contour or Replay.

But I would have like to have a systems that goes on automatically and where I don't have to recharge the batteries (hard wired).

Is this possible?

tx

c.
Yes, certainly for one camera and very probably for two although they would need to be wired to the same start record line. Replay 1080HD is the camera of choice for this application and the guys that make it have worked closely with Racepak to be sure that the integration is solid. TrackVision is fully integrated with Racepak DatalinkII, so you can open your video & data in DatalinkII, then click to start TrackVision and save the video with data overlay.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for data logger/predictive timer/video overlay systems?