Sponsored by:

Daytona 24 Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytona 24 Weather

I understand that part of the allure of long-distance endurance racing lies in a team's ability to deal with the unexpected: driver errors, mechanical malfunctions, fouled pit stops, bone-numbing exhaustion, and...yes...the unpredictable weather. Daytona is notorious for late January meteorological curve *****.

But not this year. For the first time in the 47 years I've been going to Daytona (beginning with the Continental), the predicted weather is SPECTACULAR. No rain on Saturday. High of 72 both days, LOW of 56. FIFTY-SIX!!! The LOW!!!

Over the years, I've seen it all. But I've never seen 24 hours of weather so perfect for the Daytona 24 Hours.

Not so much for Friday's Continental Grand Am race. A 50% chance of rain. Drivers will hate it. But it will be fun to watch those low downforce cars deal with the icy-slick infield course. The lovely new billiard table banking drains quickly. The infield, which hasn't been repaved in years, is treacherous when wet.

I'm really looking forward to an exciting Continental race. The Rolex, not so much. As always, it will be a flat-out crap shoot.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Not so much for Friday's Continental Grand Am race. A 50% chance of rain. Drivers will hate it.
Not sure I agree with that. Some will hate it, the winner will love it.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

the infield honestly isnt that bad in the rain. they put a patch of something (I assume rubber-based) down around the apex of T6 which gets slick as hell... but overall it isn't that bad.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
the infield honestly isnt that bad in the rain. they put a patch of something (I assume rubber-based) down around the apex of T6 which gets slick as hell... but overall it isn't that bad.
Having raced in the rain at the PCA race in October, I would say that the infield is a lot more hairy than any other place on the track, even the bus stop. The 2-3 turn area is slick, putting the power down after the horseshoe is interesting, the kink is scary and there's very little grip on the next horseshoe mid-turn. Other than that, yeah, the infield isn't that bad in the rain.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
DC5Chick06
Advanced

So very excited for all the races this weekend!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Having raced in the rain at the PCA race in October, I would say that the infield is a lot more hairy than any other place on the track, even the bus stop. The 2-3 turn area is slick, putting the power down after the horseshoe is interesting, the kink is scary and there's very little grip on the next horseshoe mid-turn. Other than that, yeah, the infield isn't that bad in the rain.
I was there at that event as well and didn't think those areas were very bad. use the sensitivity in your foot and you're fine. I did actually think the bus stop was very bad. the transition got very slick and was incredibly slippery on turn-in making it hard to set the nose smoothly for exit
Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there at that event as well and didn't think those areas were very bad. use the sensitivity in your foot and you're fine. I did actually think the bus stop was very bad. the transition got very slick and was incredibly slippery on turn-in making it hard to set the nose smoothly for exit
"use the sensitivity in your foot..." Wow, I wish I had thought of that.... What kind of car were you racing?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Yup. Spot-on.

"use the sensitivity in your foot..." Wow, I wish I had thought of that.... What kind of car were you racing?
Yeah, and how slow was he going?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the Continental race going to be broadcast (SPEED?), does anyone know. I would love to "DVR" it.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Won't be live. It's broadcast the following weekend.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Eifeler
Pro

DE or race?

From braking into T1 (spun there myself) to transitioning back onto the T2 banking the infield was a skating rink if you tried to maintain any pace.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

The kink in the infield section was pretty scary... I didn't think anywhere else was too bad. Yesterday I feared the Continental Challenge would have some pouring rain, but it's looking better for them now.

Last edited by analogmike; 01-26-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

LOL
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

What he said. The banking of course is great, but you can't see in the flat spots, the bus stop is hairy, and the infield horseshoes and kink are white-knucklers. In practice, I clipped the inside right curb in turn 2 under power, and immediately got a nice 360 degree tour of the infield grass, which was repeated four times. Yeah, I'll have to think about that throttle-modulation thing next time.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

It's rain... what do you expect? for it to not be slick? I guess the reason I say that I don't think it's all that bad is by comparison to other tracks nearby. There are no "rivers" like you see at RA in the rain, and there isn't a concrete patch at almost every apex like you see at Sebring.

the "use sensitivity" comment was obviously sarcastic

Quick Reply: Daytona 24 Weather