Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Danica's Violent Crash Yesterday At Daytona....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^+1 and that inner wall/barrier shunted a tremendous amount of energy something not always available on tracks that I race on.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Damn. That was some hit

Originally Posted by DCP
I was surprised by the announcers being surprised that she took her hands off the wheel citing her open wheel experience. Okay, maybe most drivers don't put their hands on their helmet like she did, but surely they take their hands off the wheel, don't they?
I'm still messed up years later from not taking my hands off the wheel when I got hit in a road accident, but I didn't see it coming... it was cool to see Danica get her hands out of the way
Old 02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Her head still didn't come anywhere close to leaving the confines of the containment seat. Neither laterally or forward. (would like to see in super slow mo) That was a big offset (RF) and secondary hit on the right side. I was a little concered for her right wrist getting broken because it was between her helmet and the seat. I think she was fortunate in that regard.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
That makes me want to buy a containment-type seat...
I was just about to go back and see what seat it was in the video
Old 02-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's just about the scariest angle for most people to wreck. That 30-60 degree offset impact. A few big reasons that it wasn't as big a deal for her in that car. First as has been mentioned, the safer barrier, was nice to see work. The second is the speedway head restraint.

It looks like one of the custom CF Hendrick seats with a bead seat/impact foam insert.

On the right side on the speedway cars the halo extends past the front of the drivers helmet and block the view to the right (part of the need for spotters). Frame by frame you see her head get darn near the end of it and out of it, if not all the way, her shoulders go past their restraint, her body squeezes out to the right, even in this full containment seat.

If this had been in any of the regular road seats, Sparco, Racetech, I'd bet she would have been in the passenger area before stopping. The entry level Kirkey seat would probably be bent in half.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
maybe most drivers don't put their hands on their helmet like she did
Yesterday I watched a replay of last year's Spa--when Hamilton had his bad shunt he did that very thing. He still got knocked around quite badly and was really slow in reacting when the car finally came to a stop......

Gary
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM
sig_a
Pro

The impact protection on the externals of her body worked great. But do these same safety devices also protect her internals from the severe jolt to her brain, heart, kidneys, etc?

She's maturing into a smart and safe pro driver. Also has a great reserve of ambition to prove herself.

I admire her guts. Hope she knows when to walk away.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Ouch. That was not a glancing blow. I bet she's a bit sore this morning...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
On the right side on the speedway cars the halo extends past the front of the drivers helmet and block the view to the right (part of the need for spotters). Frame by frame you see her head get darn near the end of it and out of it, if not all the way, her shoulders go past their restraint, her body squeezes out to the right, even in this full containment seat.
That's why right side nets are still recommended even with halo seats. I've had two big shunts in fully supported ultrashield roadrace superseats similar to the butler or laJoie full containment seats. I credit them with me walking away without even being dazzed. I cringe at people using aluminum seats supported only at the base. They fold like pretzels. If you don't go all the way at leaset us a currently dated FIA seat.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed her rear brakes were locked up all the way into the wall. Don't know if she rode them into the wall or the motor locked up but you can see it in the video....
Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
I was surprised by the announcers being surprised that she took her hands off the wheel citing her open wheel experience. Okay, maybe most drivers don't put their hands on their helmet like she did, but surely they take their hands off the wheel, don't they?
We know what to do, but doing it is another thing.

At Sebring my car snap spun at 130 and I was spinning so fast I had no idea where I was. I did a death grip on the wheel while trying to push the brake pedal through the floor. Luckily I hit mostly in the rear and only sprained my right wrist a bit. Will try to remember next time!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yesterday I watched a replay of last year's Spa--when Hamilton had his bad shunt he did that very thing. He still got knocked around quite badly and was really slow in reacting when the car finally came to a stop......

Gary
That's interesting. Maybe it makes sense in open cockpit cars. Leaving your hands down might expose them to things crushing around them.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Poor girl.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I noticed her rear brakes were locked up all the way into the wall. Don't know if she rode them into the wall or the motor locked up but you can see it in the video....
There is no reason to think the motor locked up. I don't see tire smoke until she gets sideways. The in-car camera shows her trying to steer into the spin and that she does not move to the brake until just before she removed her hands from the steering wheel.

Scott
Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by consolidated
I've not heard of putting your hands on your helmet before, I was told to cross your arms across your chest or grab your harness.
That really is open wheel training & experience. Its about the only safe place for your hands in a tight open wheel cockpit. Stout hit, and looks like she did everything right.

Quick Reply: Danica's Violent Crash Yesterday At Daytona....