paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
^^yeah^^
Warn him of an impending black

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Hmmm.

If a driver recognizes what a furled black is for, perhaps they shouldn't have tried to get away with whatever behavior prompted the furled black in the first place...

If he doesn't? Well, he deserves what he gets...
I think it has been established that much doubt remains as to whether his actions constituted blocking or not. Most say no.
Given the lack of clarity in the rules, it is unlikely this driver or most others would even know that they are pushing the limit of sportsmanship as defined by PCA. So a warning seems appropriate and a more measured response from the tower given the ambiguity of the rule.

Getting what he deserves assumes it was a deliberate act. A little Schadenfreude, Peter?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I think it has been established that much doubt remains as to whether his actions constituted blocking or not. Most say no.
Given the lack of clarity in the rules, it is unlikely this driver or most others would even know that they are pushing the limit of sportsmanship as defined by PCA. So a warning seems appropriate and a more measured response from the tower given the ambiguity of the rule.

Getting what he deserves assumes it was a deliberate act. A little Schadenfreude, Peter?
Perhaps PCA should introduce a new PINK flag to let us know when to let a car through that is incapable of passing on their own. If the pink flag is ignored, then they throw the black.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

How about this. If it looks like someone is blocking make note of his number and the number of the person you think is being blocked. Unless it's dangerous (then by all means remove him immediately) go see the person you think is being blocked. If he agrees then warn or DQ the offending driver, depending on the severity. If he says "that's racing" and looks at you like you are crazy go back up into the tower. Maybe things like this are better left to the discretion of the racers in minor cases (or non-existent ones like this).. If someone out of class is "driving defensively" and screwing up my race, he will hear about it, if in my class it's racing...
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Eifeler, who gets the Black flag, the guy in front or the wuss that can't close the deal?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Hmmm.

If a driver recognizes what a furled black is for, perhaps they shouldn't have tried to get away with whatever behavior prompted the furled black in the first place...

If he doesn't? Well, he deserves what he gets...
If the driver doesn't think he's blocking he won't know what behavior prompted the black flag. We all have agreed that we didn't see any blocking in the OP's video so if the lead driver was shown a furled black wtf was he supposed to think it was for and what behavior to correct?

He wasn't doing anything wrong.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

This would constitute blocking by PCA standards:

Two cars go into the brake zone. Car A is in the lead, Car B is right on his tail. Car A is not as good at braking as is Car B. Car B is a legendary late braker but Car A is better at mid-corner to track out. Understanding that Car A is going to get on the brakes before Car B would if Car B were all alone at a DE or something that means that the earlier braking by Car A is blocking. Though it's not intentional in any way, Car A is braking the best he can, he is still causing Car B to brake earlier than he is able and interrupting his momentum.

This happens in every corner in every lap of a race.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by MarkM
Eifeler, who gets the Black flag, the guy in front or the wuss that can't close the deal?
The guy that would rather sniff **** than find a way past.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
This would constitute blocking by PCA standards:

Two cars go into the brake zone. Car A is in the lead, Car B is right on his tail. Car A is not as good at braking as is Car B. Car B is a legendary late braker but Car A is better at mid-corner to track out. Understanding that Car A is going to get on the brakes before Car B would if Car B were all alone at a DE or something that means that the earlier braking by Car A is blocking. Though it's not intentional in any way, Car A is braking the best he can, he is still causing Car B to brake earlier than he is able and interrupting his momentum.

This happens in every corner in every lap of a race.
Not according to Vicki's column CRN 11.3.
1. Car A does not make a move in your scenario - they stayed on a line.
2. Car A does not do anything solely for the purpose of slowing car B

"Blocking occurs when you make a move that changes your line and is
solely intended to impede an overtaking car."
Old 05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Vampire
Racer

There are many good points in this thread.
There are many interpretations on what constitutes blocking.
There seems to be many who are in favor of it as racecraft and think it should be accepted. I think there is a happy grey area.

I have never heard paddock talk to the effect of "Wow, Driver A did an excellent job of blocking me" although I have heard swearwords about the a hole driver who was blocking.

I suppose we will start seeing posts on here where we ask the "better drivers" how to block more effectively...
Q. I am a slow driver in a high hp car and an SP1 keeps passing me in the corners. What should I do?
A. Wait till he is ready to pass and cut over in front of him, then over brake. It will kill his momentum, then you can zoom away on the strait.
Reply 1: +1
Reply 2: Yes, that would be the sportsmanlike thing to do.
Reply 3: Yes, the SP1 knows you have a faster car anyway, so he won't mind it. In fact he will respect you as a driver because even though you don't have as much talent as him, you will prove that you are excellent at blocking.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
"Blocking occurs when you make a move that changes your line and is solely intended to impede an overtaking car."
Why would you ever change you line if you were not trying to impede and overtaking car?

BTW.... What seperates DE from Racing?

In DE the guy in front should let you pass if you are faster.

In Racing the guy front is trying to prevent the guy behind from passing.

If the guy in front had to let fast car by then we would call it DE.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Vampire
Racer

Originally Posted by M758
Why would you ever change you line if you were not trying to impede an overtaking car?
I sometimes change my line when overtaking a car.

I would change my "race" line to a "defensive" line if I had a close competitor behind me.

I view a defensive line as not giving the car behind you a chance to be in position to attempt the pass or require them to pass with a less favorable line (like on the outside). Like I said... it is a grey area.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Not according to Vicki's column CRN 11.3.
1. Car A does not make a move in your scenario - they stayed on a line.
2. Car A does not do anything solely for the purpose of slowing car B

"Blocking occurs when you make a move that changes your line and is
solely intended to impede an overtaking car."
This is my point. It's up to someone's interpretation. Suppose they think you are braking early to force the car behind you to brake early. They may not know that you suck at braking. Who's call is it? It's to late once they've called you in.

Car A is suffering some brake fade and pumps the brakes going down the straight, a black flag happy guy in the tower thinks you did it to throw the guy off behind you. Your race is ruined.

It's too vague. They cannot reasonably determine the intent of the driver unless it is egregious and so far the videos we've seen of the people that have been "blocked" are a joke.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Interesting that none of the stewards are participating in this discussion.... could they be having a lot of internal talks before the Glen? I just hope, want, need a clear definition that is universally applied.

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 PM
James Achard
Pro

Originally Posted by comatb
Interesting that none of the stewards are participating in this discussion.... could they be having a lot of internal talks before the Glen? I just hope, want, need a clear definition that is universally applied.

Bill

+100. The Glen will be my first race since 2006 with PCA and I hope this gets some attention/clarity at the drivers meeting.

Cheers, James
Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 PM
magnetic1
Racer

I view a defensive line as not giving the car behind you a chance to be in position to attempt the pass or require them to pass with a less favorable line (like on the outside). Like I said... it is a grey area.
But that is exactly what the video of the offending driver is doing here. He basically got black flagged for taking a defensive line.

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?