Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA club race blocking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best RL/PCA thread in a long time. A+. Would read again.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
I sometimes change my line when overtaking a car.

I would change my "race" line to a "defensive" line if I had a close competitor behind me.

So by moving to a defensive line are you trying to impede his ability to pass you or are you just getting out of his way?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetic1
But that is exactly what the video of the offending driver is doing here. He basically got black flagged for taking a defensive line.
I agree.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
OT here, but who was the track photog at this event and where are they?
I would like to know too. It would be nice to have a good pic before the new paint gets all buggered up.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vampire
There are many good points in this thread.
There are many interpretations on what constitutes blocking.
There seems to be many who are in favor of it as racecraft and think it should be accepted. I think there is a happy grey area.

I have never heard paddock talk to the effect of "Wow, Driver A did an excellent job of blocking me" although I have heard swearwords about the a hole driver who was blocking.

I suppose we will start seeing posts on here where we ask the "better drivers" how to block more effectively...
Q. I am a slow driver in a high hp car and an SP1 keeps passing me in the corners. What should I do?
A. Wait till he is ready to pass and cut over in front of him, then over brake. It will kill his momentum, then you can zoom away on the strait.
Reply 1: +1
Reply 2: Yes, that would be the sportsmanlike thing to do.
Reply 3: Yes, the SP1 knows you have a faster car anyway, so he won't mind it. In fact he will respect you as a driver because even though you don't have as much talent as him, you will prove that you are excellent at blocking.
You're mixing up an out of class scenario with an in in class one. Taking a defensive line to "defend" from an out of class car (especially one that is lower HP, but catches you in the curves) is an ego trip that screws the both of you. I don't think anyone here is advocating driving defensively in this scenario.

In class racing is where the debate is at. And yes, I've congratulated drivers on artful defensive driving, even (especially) at a National Championship race. I expect nothing less! It's my job to figure out how I can find an advantage from it, or despite it. If not, I learn something.

"One Move" is clear, and easily enforceable. Maybe it's not compatible with the PCA racing philosophy, but it at least sets a good standard to follow as far as clarity. I'd also add it's it's also not a prescription for carnage, because everyone knows what to expect. If I can brag on my class for a moment for a moment, 15 944 Spec cars ran 4 days at the National Championship last year, without any carnage, through the whole weekend. No protests, no DQ's. There was a whole lot of high level defensive driving going on!

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 05-03-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I would like to know too. It would be nice to have a good pic before the new paint gets all buggered up.
The car looks great BTW.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Tim L
Advanced

I can see where the one move shouldn't be allowed. This is an example; coming up on lapped traffic and a car moves over, as you are about to pass, stopping your momentum!
I think this is what PCA is trying to prevent. But trying to stop all defensive driving is over the top. I also agree it should be explained clearly in the rule book what is or isn't allowed and not be some arbitrary call by a steward.

Thanks for all the good info.

Tim
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim L
I can see where the one move shouldn't be allowed. This is an example; coming up on lapped traffic and a car moves over, as you are about to pass, stopping your momentum! [url] I think this is what PCA is trying to prevent. But trying to stop all defensive driving is over the top. I also agree it should be explained clearly in the rule book what is or isn't allowed and not be some arbitrary call by a steward.

Tim
this almost seems like he didnt see you and moved over to the right in a panic??, he gave you plenty of room after the uphill and didnt look to block or challenge going into the last corner in the video
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim L
I can see where the one move shouldn't be allowed. This is an example; coming up on lapped traffic and a car moves over, as you are about to pass, stopping your momentum! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oEsGstttGs I think this is what PCA is trying to prevent. But trying to stop all defensive driving is over the top. I also agree it should be explained clearly in the rule book what is or isn't allowed and not be some arbitrary call by a steward.

Tim
I don't know the track...or the driver....but it looks like all he did was go to the apex of the corner. There is no overlap when he moves to the apex of the corner and your speeds are not all that dissimilar.

Is this a race or a track day?

Scott
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
this almost seems like he didnt see you and moved over to the right in a panic??, he gave you plenty of room after the uphill and didnt look to block or challenge going into the last corner in the video
I have been run off the track there more times than I can count for no other reason than lack of awareness from the car in front
Old 05-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Tim L
Advanced

I don't know the track...or the driver....but it looks like all he did was go to the apex of the corner. There is no overlap when he moves to the apex of the corner and your speeds are not all that dissimilar.
I agree he could just be heading for the apex. It's hard to tell in the video but it wasn't a smooth transition to the apex, who knows?

The point is if your carrying more speed and someone deliberately moves over late (one move) and you need to slowdown and loose momentum, I think that is what PCA is cracking down on. The video is a Poor example.

Tim
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure how you make fine distinctions between which one move is OK and which is not. If I move to the inside early to protect my line into the corner that's one move and if you had the same idea it will check you up.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

That 944 looks strangely familiar......

Last edited by Gary R.; 05-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Tim L
Advanced

Not, it's an f car
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I know, it was the move that looked familiar...

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?