Sponsored by:

PCA club race blocking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
If blocking is "more than one move," I didn't see that.

If blocking is driving diagonally from track out at Diving Turn to entry of Big Bend, yeah. I saw that.

If blocking is driving differently when someone is behind than when on your own, I saw that.

If blocking is driving badly enough to not only screw the guy behind you, but screw yourself up, too, I definitely saw a LOT of that!

Obviously, driving tight into Big Bend or the Left Hander is a defensive move, trying to make you decide whether or not you want to take the long way around, but it messed him up, too.

Too bad for him, but right or wrong, IMO justice was served.
Justice? I call it a travesty of justice. These cars are in the same class fighting for the lead and there was no blocking going on. There was no double move anywhere in the video. All I saw was defensive driving by the lead car.

Scott
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's blocking, we're all guilty at LRP
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No Blocking but poor driving by the lead car.

It is better race craft, had you hung on his bumper through the uphill and west bend and taken a run in the downhill you would have passed him several laps earlier.

It is virtually impossible with same class cars to pass in the uphill or west bend unless he really makes a mistake or points you by. By taking a peek inside you are just loosing real estate that you worked for. IMO
Old 04-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

I think some money changed hands
Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

bull**** call. no blocking.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

So how defensive can one get in PCA Club Racing before it is considered poor sportsmanship or a warrants a black flag?

Yes, a multiple move zig zag is bad.

What about early apex to prevent the inside dive and other similar "wide" lines?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Was that PCA's own scruts running the race or Limerock's crew? We're all expected to know the rules so it seems fair that the scruts should know them too. There wasn't any blocking that I could see. Has amateur racing become part of the PC/nanny state?....
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
bull**** call. no blocking.
Agreed. Not only do I not see any blocking, but I saw many others taking similar lines through that corner. It's rather inconsistent to penalize just this one driver.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Nothing egregious. The only place that i might call blocking was in T1. If he is on the inside down most of the straight (legal), then the early apex should put him on the outside coming out of turn 1 but he held the inside line. Once you tried an outside/in on him and he came back on you (see for example the 1:20 mark).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think you should have gone in to the station to stick up for him.

This wasn't the only BF for this.

The whole thing would have sorted itself out on its own.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

No blocking at all.

In fact, I think he did a great job holding you back (without blocking) when you could obviously have turned faster laps.

It's RACING. Not a god damned DE event.

If I was in that region I'd clarify with whoever decided to black flag him, and if that's how it's going to be judged in the future I'd find another group to race with.

Btw, what was up with the flaggers at the exit of T1/T2 (I'm not familiar with the track) showing the blue flag to the guy fighting for position? Maybe they black flagged him for ignoring it (stupid if it's a race in class).

-mike

edit: here's a 40 sec clip from a club race i did this weekend. imagine if those guys had been flagging it! i thought the guy i was battling with did a great job and drove totally clean. due to the differences in cars it was just very difficult to get him while we were turning laps within half a second of each other. btw, the entire race was that way.. i started on pole, he drove around me at the green flag and i was on his bumper for 20 laps. that was the last corner of the last lap.

Last edited by fleadh; 04-30-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
It's RACING. Not a god damned DE event.
-mike

edit: here's a 40 sec clip from a club race i did this weekend. imagine if those guys had been flagging it! i thought the guy i was battling with did a great job and drove totally clean. due to the differences in cars it was just very difficult to get him while we were turning laps within half a second of each other. btw, the entire race was that way.. i started on pole, he drove around me at the green flag and i was on his bumper for 20 laps. that was the last corner of the last lap.

http://youtu.be/THxIHBrTBEE
Great setup coming out of T10. You left him nowhere to be but on the inside line thru T11. Perfectly executed scissors move behind him and off you go. How close was he at the finish?

So how did you like the Michelin's versus Pirelli's or Yokes?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Great setup coming out of T10. You left him nowhere to be but on the inside line thru T11. Perfectly executed scissors move behind him and off you go. How close was he at the finish?

So how did you like the Michelin's versus Pirelli's or Yokes?
Thanks! I won by about .1 sec.. he was much faster in the straights and was about to drive by me. :-)

I ran Yokohamas... shhhhhh... our little secret! (needed the practice on those tires before the ALMS event). Haven't had the chance to run Michelins on the 2011 Cup yet, but I'm *really* looking forward to it. They were about 1 sec/lap faster on the old 2009 Cup at most places.

-mike
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In in the new driver session before my first PCA race at Road America, we were told that blocking is "any move that causes the driver behind you to have to back out of the throttle" That seems tough to know, or judge, but was (is?) the standard.
"One move" was specifically not the correct answer to the "what is blocking?" question.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the black flag was for the workers in the uphill fearing for their lives. That was a pretty interesting technique over the crest.

Quick Reply: PCA club race blocking?