Sponsored by:

Low registration numbers at Mosport PCA Club Race

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Bryan_H
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Bryan, first let me say that I think you all do a great job and I love racing with PCA.

But I am concerned about the sustainability of many of the races that I currently attend. I do 4-6 races a year: Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Putnam, Mid Ohio, Road America, and CMP.

Atlanta: registration was sluggish this year and the organizers were reportedly close to condensing it down to two race groups (from 3) while adding a second DE group.
Watkins Glen: obviously a HUGE race.
Putnam: the organizers sent an email asking for 80 racers. There are currently 48 signed up. Maybe 60 total will attend? Isn't it true that there used to be TWO Putnam PCA races each year?
Mid Ohio: even during my brief racing career, this used to be a big race. With participation relatively low the last two years, MOR moved the race to August. Hopefully this will put this race back "on the map."
Road America: obviously another one of the biggies.
CMP: the future of this race also seems to be up in the air. Despite the Carolina Region's best efforts, participation the last few years has been weak.

And then as I mentioned above; VIR, Mosport, and even Daytona have struggled as well. I can only imagine how much it costs to rent Daytona for the weekend...

The "big" races (Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Road America) are as big as ever, but it seems like the smaller races are struggling. Is this true? Or are these smaller races actually meeting their required registrations to survive?
When this forum talks about PCA Club Racing the tendency is to look at the event from only the race car count perspective. The fact of the matter is all of the organizations events we are discussing here contain multiple parts. PCA is lucky enough to have many races that are extremely viable with only the racer count involved. Sebring, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and our date at NJMP with Grand AM have all have sold out this year. Teams like Racers Group and Kelly Moss have been unable to get into PCA races at times. Road Atlanta’s Enduros were sold out.

Some of PCA’s major events, like Sebring and Road America also have a DE component because of tradition and that is where racer growth comes from in PCA. The events work great that way. We tend to talk about Sebring having 260 cars at the race. We don’t mention the 100 DE cars there as well. Some of our events need the DE participation and even sell of run groups to help pay the bills. So do other organizations. That’s just an economic fact of like. Most of the events you are concerned about will do just fine when all things are considered. Some that you mention are actually up over previous years.

PCA Club Races in general keep the track time high by limiting the number of disciplines involved to racing and generally uninstructed DE and keeping the group count relatively low. Track rental and operating cost are basically the same for everyone. The difference is how we divide up the time and our need to simply break even. PCA is a car club. . We do have the luxury of having a very professional staff that is extremely passionate about PCA Club Racing.

Right now it looks like we will have several new races scattered all across the country coming on board for next year.

Bryan
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan_H
Some of PCA’s major events, like Sebring and Road America also have a DE component because of tradition and that is where racer growth comes from in PCA. The events work great that way. We tend to talk about Sebring having 260 cars at the race. We don’t mention the 100 DE cars there as well. Some of our events need the DE participation and even sell of run groups to help pay the bills. So do other organizations. That’s just an economic fact of like. Most of the events you are concerned about will do just fine when all things are considered. Some that you mention are actually up over previous years.
Thanks Bryan.

For the record, I am in complete agreement about having a DE group at the club races for all the reasons you mentioned. The DE at the Putnam race was my introduction to club racing. And I also like having a little extra down-time between sessions.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Same here... only 3 cars for now...

c.
Expect more SP 944 drivers next week, after the 944 Cup race with World s. Challenge (with 21 entries) at Mosport this weekend. The Mosport PCA races are points races for the Canada Chapter for 944 Cup.

One issue that does come up with 944 Cup racers in attending PCA events, who raced primarily in the series with NASA in the past, is the basic PCA Friday/Saturday schedule. Some of these drivers have chosen to stay with NASA to avoid taking the extra day off for to make the PCA events.

Last edited by 944Cup; 06-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I signed up.
Never been there and no one I know is going.
Were do I stay & eat ?
Whom do I follow or talk to for some tips ?
Where do I get some Cuban cigars neat the track ?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Stay at the track. There are showers and a lousy daytime restaurant but nothing decent close by.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Bryan, first let me say that I think you all do a great job and I love racing with PCA.

But I am concerned about the sustainability of many of the races that I currently attend. I do 4-6 races a year: Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Putnam, Mid Ohio, Road America, and CMP.

Atlanta: registration was sluggish this year and the organizers were reportedly close to condensing it down to two race groups (from 3) while adding a second DE group.
Watkins Glen: obviously a HUGE race.
Putnam: the organizers sent an email asking for 80 racers. There are currently 48 signed up. Maybe 60 total will attend? Isn't it true that there used to be TWO Putnam PCA races each year?
Mid Ohio: even during my brief racing career, this used to be a big race. With participation relatively low the last two years, MOR moved the race to August. Hopefully this will put this race back "on the map."
Road America: obviously another one of the biggies.
CMP: the future of this race also seems to be up in the air. Despite the Carolina Region's best efforts, participation the last few years has been weak.

And then as I mentioned above; VIR, Mosport, and even Daytona have struggled as well. I can only imagine how much it costs to rent Daytona for the weekend...

The "big" races (Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Road America) are as big as ever, but it seems like the smaller races are struggling. Is this true? Or are these smaller races actually meeting their required registrations to survive?
Jack needless to say the issue of getting the attendance back has been on the minds of the MORPCA region regarding our race at Mid Ohio. We hope that moving our event date to the dry month of August will help us out, plus we were so close to the WG event we felt that was hurting us.

Its frustrating for the regions who work there butts off to provide a good event to have a low turn out.

On the point of why car counts are lower today that years past, I will give my opinion, Brian H. forgive me now, we have more competition for racers today that in years past . In our neck of the woods. NASA is real strong here, and we have lost cars to NASA. Cars competitive under the NASA classes are not in PCA, this is what I am told. So part of the issue my be the classes, the number of PCA classes, and how they might mesh with other clubs like NASA and SCCA.

At Mid Ohio we had big turn outs but we were one of the first few Club races in the early days. there is a race someplace almost every weekend, so there are more choices.

PCA does offer way more track time for the money over SCCA and NASA. I would rather race in a Big field however over a small one, working traffic is a big part of the outcome in racing. Last weekend I did an SCCA event at mid o, over the grand am weekend. 65 cars on track. I got a chance to pass cars where i did not think was possible.

Lets hope August sells out at Mid O. I will be the guy walking around with a big smile.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Lot of b/b's around the track,10 minutes away. Track food has improved greatly this year{new owners}. Dont we come to race! Isnt Eating and sleeping secondary. O ,50 plus now !
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ernie J
Lot of b/b's around the track,10 minutes away. Track food has improved greatly this year{new owners}. Dont we come to race! Isnt Eating and sleeping secondary. O ,50 plus now !
Does Margaret will race in SP2?

c.

Quick Reply: Low registration numbers at Mosport PCA Club Race