Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 Coolshirts

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

It seems it must be close to rocket science otherwise we'd not be talking about this because there would be a good reliable system out there that is not flawed in a major way.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakermc
The biggest problem I have with the Cool Short cooler is that sometimes it works and sometimes it seems to freeze up. I think ice gets stuck uner the pick-up tubes and blocks the water. Often it will not work when sitting on grid then begins working once the car is moving.
I have had the same problem - the pump whirrs, but no flow. We fuss with it in the pits and on the grid and eventually get it to flow, but it is always causing some stress messing with it for 5 mins before heading to grid.

It does usually start running once we get moving, but I don't like to take the chance. I would be very interested in someone that can diagnose the issue so we can resolve the issue quicker.

It is great and love it a lot more than the Cool Shirt.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If the pump goes with no flow, it usually means the pump has failed. Buy a new bilge pump on line for $20 and put it in to fix. Get the bilge pump that is the same size with twice the flow and it's even better.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

What do the pro's use?
Is it the same type of system?
Are they into soemthing completely different?

I've got the Cool Shirt system...and I wear it starting in April...but, I'm a baby!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running the cool shirt sys for a number of years now and it has been very good. However, it does not do the job when it is REALLY hot, say above 90. But, pump has always been good, shirt doesn't kink that I'm aware of and it is a lifesaver in the SE. Always looking for a better solution though. Don't think I will touch the 986 until they get settled with the new owners.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Good points....I emailed them to see what they say about this...we'll see what they come back with.
Here's the reply:
"Our polyester fabric will begin to breakdown around 420 – 440 degrees. It doesn’t really melt, it disintegrates into nothing."
I think by the time the fabric reaches that temp under a 3 layer suit the situation isn't good at all and any extra protection from a FR material is redundant...but just my opinion.
Personally I have found a huge difference in my focus and energy staying cool behind the wheel....as said above you'll wonder why you've waited so long.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm going to get another pump and keep it as a spare- when you go on FleaBay there are so many variants. Does anyone recommend one in particular?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure the Rule 500 GPH is a direct replacement but ~2x the flow rate...
pay attention to the size of the pipe it connects to. If you want an even larger pump, you'll likely need an adapter (and I don't think larger is necessary).

Amazon Amazon
$22 and no shipping.

Also, it is helpful to get a spare set of fittings for the shirt or cooler as they can get broken. I've had that happen too, but luckily I had spares to keep me operational.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm running a Rule 800 gph pump. Going from 500 to 800 seemed to make a difference.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM
HGT3CUP
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone using a Koolbox? http://www.koolboxproducts.com/ I am not associated with this company in any way. I would like to know if it is worth the money.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarveyT
Is anyone using a Koolbox? http://www.koolboxproducts.com/ I am not associated with this company in any way. I would like to know if it is worth the money.
Looks like a great idea. I especially like the side vent in the helmet as opposed to the top of the helmet. BTW, you guys with 986/Momo shirts put a lighter to it for a couple of seconds and see what happens. You'll change your mind. Also, recent studies and article from SCCA states that not wearing FR under your suit can create a combustible atmosphere...goes for cotton and polyester. On the other hand, I love the bladder idea on the Momo. Seems like something that expensive would at least use materials that can be certifiable through SFI. I will have new, affordable solutions to the undergarment world early next season. I just think there should be a way to stay as safe as possible, while not giving up comfort or style and avoid heat stress. Good things are a comin'!

Quick Reply: 986 Coolshirts