Sponsored by:

A NEW TREND IN RACING ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Krokodil

I have noticed more and more people offering to pay for the repair of others cars recently and it feels like a bad, bad trend. They do not seem to get what they are propagating.

If this continues the track will be occupied by only the very rich, or the very stupid.

Cheers,
As J Richard said already ......
Bad bad precedence...
Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Why not just increase the punishment to the drivers who (continually) cause problems?

-mike
Exactly. I race with both NASA and POC and I can name the racers in either org that seem to always be in the middle of it. With POC we use the 13/13 rule and stringently enforce it. Hell our Chief Steward is out on his second 13 right now....
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Can you at least keep the body parts that are embedded in your car?

This was not a poor pass, more like a failure to yield when returning to the
racing surface which came back on track and T-boned our driver.

Fortunately no one was injured.

While the offending car was totaled, our car only suffered cosmetic (abet substantial) and finished the endure.

Mike
Attached Images  

Last edited by txhokie4life; 06-27-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more expensive the racecars in a series are the more a 13/13 rule makes sense in amateur racing. Spec classes that have low price points to enter it just doesn't work. However no matter what - if you drive your car on the track you assume the risk of damage from your actions or others.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
The more expensive the racecars in a series are the more a 13/13 rule makes sense in amateur racing. Spec classes that have low price points to enter it just doesn't work. However no matter what - if you drive your car on the track you assume the risk of damage from your actions or others.
I thought the 13/13 rule was attempt to legislate PCA's vision of what club racing should be in regards to how racers should treat other racers and their cars on the track.

It sounds like you are saying that racers of cheaper cars, and their cars, should be treated with less respect. Based on what I see in the Spec Pinata series, your vision is reality.

Scott
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
I'm not willing to risk anything more than the value of my own car. A rule like this would cause me to quit the series in question and look for another place to race.
Agreed, I do not see any NARRA races in my future.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://narraonline.com/joomla/images...2-gt-rules.pdf

10. The Chief Steward will investigate incidents involving crash damage. If fault is determined the driver at fault will get a points penalty and be responsible for damage to another vehicle. Total reimbursement is suggested, however, NARRA will require: 1st Incident $2500 2nd Incident $5000 3rd Incident $7500 Paid prior to the next event. This does not include track damage that will be the full responsibility of each driver at fault. Other penalties may apply.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:14 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I thought the 13/13 rule was attempt to legislate PCA's vision of what club racing should be in regards to how racers should treat other racers and their cars on the track.

It sounds like you are saying that racers of cheaper cars, and their cars, should be treated with less respect. Based on what I see in the Spec Pinata series, your vision is reality.

Scott
I simply stated that from my experience of racing with PCA, SCCA and NASA and instructing at various tracks around the country that I've found that the owner and driver of the more expensive car tends to not want to damage it. It's plain common sense as you likely do this in your own life with other objects as well. I do not agree with the Spec Pinata comment as we do treat each other with as much respect but you have to consider we have the biggest fields and the most racers for a reason. When you go to an event which has Spec Miatas - which race do all the spectators and other racers want to watch? It is fun to watch as large fields and lots of contingency money so there's quite a bit of motivation to do well. I also see this series as a great driver development b/c aside from the "cheater motor conversations" the cars are pretty darn even and the driver who drives the best tends to win.

If any racers here feel there should never be contact in any instance then you are in the wrong sport as it does happen and some is fair and some is not. You penalize or ban the boneheads for stupid moves (I've seen plenty of them) but keep the racing clean.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life

While the offending car was totaled, our car only suffered cosmetic (abet substantial) and finished the endure.

Mike
Mike - in what group did this happen? looks like a chump or lemons car (no offense if not). somewhat lower barriers to entry in those series.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

David, I believe this incident took place at this past March's Club Race at TWS.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike
style points for getting the bumper stuck in the door gap, though.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
Mike - in what group did this happen? looks like a chump or lemons car (no offense if not). somewhat lower barriers to entry in those series.
None taken -- it is our Chump car -- just adding a bit of levity to the discussion,
however since the incident, I've been told that similar incidents have happened during Spec944 racing.

At the time of the incident, I wasn't driving, so I can't comment on specifics -- but it apparently happened really quick. My guess is that the owner of the bumper didn't employ the two feet in when he got 2 or more wheels off, tried
to save it and all hell broke loose.

Turn 4 at TWS in May.

Barriers are lower -- but prior to committing that car to full time Chumps,
I did run PCA DEs in it. I was very cognizant of running with cars whose wheel/bumpers exceeded the value of my entire car. However it was a great
way to get seat time and learn how to drive the car I would be racing on tracks that I would be racing at. I also gave those cars the respect their $$ values warranted :-)

Maybe not likely to happen if the skill levels are higher, but
tell that to the Ferrari and LMP drivers at the recent 24 hours of Lemans.

Mistakes are made and the consequences can happen in a hurry.
Mechanicals can happen as well regardless of car cost.

I do hope at some point to get into Club Racing -- with either my RSR or my street/track 951 -- either way -- I'll be concerned with whatever liability rules are in effect.

Mike

BTW, when we were back out on the track -- the Bumper's owners stole it back from our garage stall :-(......
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astroman
http://narraonline.com/joomla/images...2-gt-rules.pdf

10. The Chief Steward will investigate incidents involving crash damage. If fault is determined the driver at fault will get a points penalty and be responsible for damage to another vehicle. Total reimbursement is suggested, however, NARRA will require: 1st Incident $2500 2nd Incident $5000 3rd Incident $7500 Paid prior to the next event. This does not include track damage that will be the full responsibility of each driver at fault. Other penalties may apply.
Makes more sense to me now... Full repayment of the damages is suggested only. It sounds more like a penalty of $2,500 paid to the victim for the first at fault determination and only if you want to race with them again in the future. Not necessarily a bad idea if the Steward does a good job. It says clearly "if fault is determined" implying that an incident could be left as a racing incident.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

I do not agree with the Spec Pinata comment as we do treat each other with as much respect but you have to consider we have the biggest fields and the most racers for a reason.
You can disagree all you want. But I have seen more bump drafting, fender rubbing, and crashing in Spec Pinata races than any other. There is very little respect for other races cars.

When you go to an event which has Spec Miatas - which race do all the spectators and other racers want to watch? It is fun to watch as large fields and lots of contingency money so there's quite a bit of motivation to do well.
Sure. Everyone wants to see how creative the racers can be with their crashes. Everyone knows the crashes are coming and they want to see them.

If any racers here feel there should never be contact in any instance then you are in the wrong sport as it does happen and some is fair and some is not. You penalize or ban the boneheads for stupid moves (I've seen plenty of them) but keep the racing clean.
Well, there never should be intentional contact at the club racing level. I understand that mistakes are made, there are mechanical failures, and that accidents happen. What happens in the Spec Pinata races is over the top. It's the culture of the class.

Scott
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

None taken -- it is our Chump car -- just adding a bit of levity to the discussion......
Mike
OT - Mike, I am curious about your logo/slogan. The door appears to say:

FU**ED
with
PRIDE

Could you confirm the missing letters? Could this have something to do with becoming a "target" on track?

Quick Reply: A NEW TREND IN RACING ?