Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
OT - Mike, I am curious about your logo/slogan. The door appears to say:

FU**ED
with
PRIDE

Could you confirm the missing letters? Could this have something to do with becoming a "target" on track?
It's probably FUELED With Pride.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
errrr -- yes -- It's the E85 slogan.

Our race team has corporate sponsorship to convert our ChumpCar
and run E85 in the ChumpCar race series.

I have to admit it was relatively easy to convert and the car
has run great. Finishing without fuel related incidents in all 3 races
this season. We did have to replace a fuel filter when we
had a gauge failure that had us run out of gas -- Ethanol is a great
gas tank cleaner, but had we not had the gauge issue -- I'm
confident we wouldn't have had the fuel filter problem.

Car feels like there is an HP increase and there has not been significant
increase in fuel consumption.

More likely it was the "I love Justin Bieber" bumper sticker that
had us targeted --- but that's a whole different story :-)

Mike
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Originally Posted by txhokie4life
errrr -- yes -- It's the E85 slogan.

....clearly I have a dirty mind....clean E85 never occurred to me.....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You can disagree all you want. But I have seen more bump drafting, fender rubbing, and crashing in Spec Pinata races than any other. There is very little respect for other races cars.

Sure. Everyone wants to see how creative the racers can be with their crashes. Everyone knows the crashes are coming and they want to see them.

Well, there never should be intentional contact at the club racing level. I understand that mistakes are made, there are mechanical failures, and that accidents happen. What happens in the Spec Pinata races is over the top. It's the culture of the class.

Scott
All due respect Scott but this is the biggest load of horse crap I've read in a long time on RL. Maybe this is true where you live and in all the am races you have run in, but it is far from the truth in SM in Texas. We have a great group of talented drivers who race hard and fair. And honestly the front of the sm pack could kick the asses of most PCA racers I know. Myself included.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
All due respect Scott but this is the biggest load of horse crap I've read in a long time on RL. Maybe this is true where you live and in all the am races you have run in, but it is far from the truth in SM in Texas. We have a great group of talented drivers who race hard and fair. And honestly the front of the sm pack could kick the asses of most PCA racers I know. Myself included.
Mike Scott's right on here in Moonbeam's state. Apparently what happens in Texas stays in Texas cause the SM racers out West been watchin too much demolition (or roller) derby. I always take the time to watch their race starts for ****s-n-giggles.....
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

Mike,

Horse crap? That has to be the most naive thing I have ever read on RL!

The class didn't get the nicknames "Spec Pinata", "Smash Miata", and "Spinning Monkeys" for nothing.

Scott
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Could be true on the left coast, but it isn't in these parts. I honestly enjoy racing spec miata more than I do PCA.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone who thinks that SM has the market cornered on agressive/dumb driving is delusional. Same stupid stuff happens in Cup Car fields too.

As for the original topic. Very interesting way to kill your racing program.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Anyone who thinks that SM has the market cornered on agressive/dumb driving is delusional. Same stupid stuff happens in Cup Car fields too.

I am not delusional at all. I didn't say that SM has the marketed cornered. Yes, look at Cup car races and the SpecE30 races too. I just happens to think that SM gives you the best "bang" for your buck. Yes, the pun is intended!

Then you have the Lemons races.....

Scott

Last edited by winders; 06-27-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Agreed....

Scott
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
....clearly I have a dirty mind....clean E85 never occurred to me.....
HAAH, thats great. im going to convince mike to keep it that way (the sticker, not the door)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can disagree all you want. But I have seen more bump drafting, fender rubbing, and crashing in Spec Pinata races than any other. There is very little respect for other races cars.

Sure. Everyone wants to see how creative the racers can be with their crashes. Everyone knows the crashes are coming and they want to see them.

Well, there never should be intentional contact at the club racing level. I understand that mistakes are made, there are mechanical failures, and that accidents happen. What happens in the Spec Pinata races is over the top. It's the culture of the class.

Scott
It's hard to argue with someone who's mind is already made up so I won't try to convince you. All I know is I'm having a blast racing at a very high level of competition in a $10k car. Ever since I started doing Spec level racing at first with my 944 then a Miata racing in large fields with expert drivers my own driving talent has significantly grown (and to me that's the big win).

If the group you race in allows boneheads to crash each other then that will **** off those drivers enough they will leave (as simple as that). SM in Texas has huge fields and yes with such large classes there's contact when you have such similar cars in such close quarters all vying for position. However what is synthesized in that field are drivers that have the talent to race at the professional level. So there is an upside to Spec Pinatas and a reason why it is a class a lot of young drivers have on their ladder to becoming a pro (not to mention the support Mazda provides us).
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I think it's the nature of any kind of a spec class that racing is tighter and riskier. The cars are prepped to within a very tight percentage throuout the field, ad twisted the pointy end the best drivers are very closely stacked.

On thing going for a spec class is they often are self policing, they have their own subset of rules and arbiters that more typically than not reflect the concensus of the group. Within the 944spec we've had and have our share of incidents, myself included. I will say that it bothers me if I have damage on any of my cars irrespective of it's value, but I'm much more reluctant to put the level of body repair into the spec car than the cup or boxster, only because of the frequency of contact.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 PM
winders
Race Car

jaje,

You seem to forget that I have eyes. I see what happens on the track. Based on comments I see from all over the country, CA is not alone in its bumper car status for the SM class.

As I experienced in my motorcycle racing days, being on track with young guys trying to prove themselves as possible pro drivers is a recipe for contact and overly aggressive driving.

For whatever reason, contact is accepted...no, expected.

At the professional level, much of the contact I see would result in drive through penalties or fines. It wouldn't be tolerated.

This all started because you said that the 13/13 rule made more sense for expensive cars. I said the only logic that makes any sense there is that cheaper cars are shown less respect on the track. However you slice it, the amount of contact in the SM series shows there is not a lot of respect for the other guys equipment.

Scott
Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jaje,

You seem to forget that I have eyes. I see what happens on the track. Based on comments I see from all over the country, CA is not alone in its bumper car status for the SM class.

As I experienced in my motorcycle racing days, being on track with young guys trying to prove themselves as possible pro drivers is a recipe for contact and overly aggressive driving.

For whatever reason, contact is accepted...no, expected.

At the professional level, much of the contact I see would result in drive through penalties or fines. It wouldn't be tolerated.

This all started because you said that the 13/13 rule made more sense for expensive cars. I said the only logic that makes any sense there is that cheaper cars are shown less respect on the track. However you slice it, the amount of contact in the SM series shows there is not a lot of respect for the other guys equipment.

Scott
I assume you don't race SM? Since you don't but instead have made up your mind simply based on the fact that you have eyes / ears / nose / mouth / taste buds (maybe 6th sense) and read forum posts I still don't think you can be called an expert witness. I also don't know the racing org you are talking about that the groups run in that you so belittle the SM class for.

Quick Reply: A NEW TREND IN RACING ?