Sponsored by:

GGR DE/TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GGR DE/TT

for those in the west coast there is alot of room at this event which means clear track! get there if you can!

PCA-GGR DE & TT
Thunderhill Raceway Park
July 14-15, 2012
( Clockwise!! )

Register here:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index....8BEBD2E333B1D9
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

I would have considered it but I think Thunderhill is a bit unsafe clockwise.....mostly I don't like the exit of turn 1.

Scott
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I would have considered it but I think Thunderhill is a bit unsafe clockwise.....mostly I don't like the exit of turn 1.

Scott
concur
wont be there
i have about 15 buds, who aren't going b/c of the CW direction.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM
winders
Race Car

I don't understand why any organization would want to run the track CW.

It's an awesome track CCW. In fact, it is my favorite in Northern California. So, for me, the "change of pace" reason doesn't really cut it.

Scott
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not know that many people were so against running CW I will pass on the info for sure, thank you for the input.

Heath
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Thunderhill CCW FTW !!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by tahoelife
I did not know that many people were so against running CW I will pass on the info for sure, thank you for the input.

Heath
There are a lot of people that like running it that direction. It's a whole new track.

I just remember years ago (~1992) testing it CW on motorcycles to see what it was like. It was fun and different, but the exit of turn 1 looked to be just too dangerous if you made a mistake. I don't see it as any less of an issue in cars.

I have about 2500 laps around Thunderhill (CCW) on motorcycles and in cars and it never bores me. I am always learning out there....

Scott
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thunderhill CW is definitely fun (running bypass, not top of T5 which is horrible CW). But I can see how in GT cars you could have an issue with T1 and the end of the hot pit wall sticking out (in a slower car you could probably never get that far down the straight if you went off track). But the outer wall on the left of T1 seems to me no worse that T10 at Sears Point.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM
winders
Race Car

trygve,

Think tank slapper on exit of 1. When considering safety issues, you have to think about what could happen, not what normally happens.

Scott
Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Scott, do you mean the outer wall or the pointy end of the hot pit wall? I would definitely agree the pointy end is troublesome, but my recollection is that I took careful note of it and concluded it was way too far down the straight for my low powered car to get to. But I could be wrong.

Frankly, I was more scared by the unknown surface quality of the weeds on the outside of CW T8/T7 if one were to go off sideways there. And that is a pretty high speed high-g cornering area going CW. Probably some good gopher hole quality dirt to dig in and roll on. CCW that area (T6/T7 right side exit) doesn't seem like a place anyone goes off.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm pretty insane but CW at TH is .....#%*_+#%
variety for sake of variety leads to disasters. the trk is NOT designed for CW just like I don't race my car using reverse gear.

like Scott said, those finding TH boring, most likely they are too slow in their cars.

perhaps we shold do LS, Infineon backwards too? they are totally didn't track in that direction. oh and it u fly off TH far enough on the other side of the barbed fence, it's quite DIFFERENT too.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
I'm pretty insane but CW at TH is .....#%*_+#%
variety for sake of variety leads to disasters. the trk is NOT designed for CW just like I don't race my car using reverse gear.

like Scott said, those finding TH boring, most likely they are too slow in their cars.

perhaps we shold do LS, Infineon backwards too? they are totally didn't track in that direction. oh and it u fly off TH far enough on the other side of the barbed fence, it's quite DIFFERENT too.
I believe Sears was run backward as part of a rally stage circa 1980. I remember the likes of Buffum and Millen absolutely smoking everyone in both directions.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ one can run any track backward, forward, cut turns out etc. the question is why.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Both directions

Originally Posted by mooty
^ one can run any track backward, forward, cut turns out etc. the question is why.
I would guess because they were designed to be run in both directions. LS and Infineon, and Willow Springs were not.
Buttonwillow and Thunderhill and Streets of Willow were all designed with multiple configurations and both directions.

Of course because they were designed that way does not mean they are equally safe in both directions

I was shooting photos at Laguna Seca at ALMS (I think) few years back when the Drifters were running from turn 1 to past turn 4 and then turning around and coming back. Great fun with gravel flying and smoking tires when it occurred to me the guardrails I was behind were designed to protect against cars from only one direction

Greg
Old 07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, will be skipping this event due to silly configuration as well.

Quick Reply: GGR DE/TT