Heart Rate on Track

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
RHR=52 MaxHR=202 AT=174 (Polar S720i w/PPP software, manually synchronized with video)

Done as a test to validate my hypothesis that driving was in the lower end of the HR ranges, for me and as a part of another RL thread on HR and track environments>

http://vimeo.com/12399257
Awesome! Thanks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very interested in a setup that will work. I tried to search for a Polar s720i, but I did not get any hits. Any recommendations? - I tried to use my Polar watch with a chest strap under my suit and never got any reception between the strap and the watch.

I also want the ability to review the data (i.e. recording).

I have a high heart rate and have been on the EKG and stress tested several times in my life. The heart doctor kicks me out of the office and tells me to never come back...

So, my resting HR is 90-100 (always has been - my entire life) and I hit 207 bpm earlier this week in circuit training. I have stress tested to 195 bpm with no abnormalities. My work outs are usually 45-60 mins long and stay in the 165-185 bpm range. I don't experience any pain at these levels (i.e. angina). It's been like this my entire life. It freaks me out, but the heart doctor reviews the results and says everything is normal and that I have the heart of an ox.

As I get older, I get concerned about pushing myself too hard in workouts and causing something major to happen (I think my trainer is also very concerned about something happening).

Anyways, I have been looking for something that will record over time and work in race conditions so I can see data similar to what has been shown here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Since this is health related - budget is not an issue!

Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Note: I am not a Doctor nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Well, if you had the heart of an ox, your heart would need to pump less to move blood through your body. Your heart rate characteristics are not "normal" compared to the population. There may not be anything wrong.....and it may be normal for you.....but they are not normal. A resting heart rate of 90 bpm is on the high end of normal high while 100 bpm is now considered outside of the normal range and indicative of some underlying issue.

If it were me, I would be asking my Doctor for a detailed explanation as to why he was telling me "everything is normal" when it is not. I'd want to know why my resting heart rate was so high and why it got so high when I worked out. From what I recall being told, even with a high resting heart rate, you still need to be careful with the max heart rate just like everyone else.

Again, I am not Doctor. But, if it were me, I certainly would be pushing for a more detailed answer than "everything is normal".

Scott

Last edited by winders; 07-06-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Note: I am not a Doctor nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Well, if you had the heart of an ox, your heart would need to pump less to move blood through your body. Your heart rate characteristics are not "normal" compared to the population. There may not be anything wrong.....and it may be normal for you.....but they are not normal. A resting heart rate of 90 bpm is on the high end of normal high while 100 bpm is now considered outside of the normal range and indicative of some underlying issue.

If it were me, I would be asking my Doctor for a detailed explanation as to why he was telling me "everything is normal" when it is not. I'd want to know why my resting heart rate was so high and why it got so high when I worked out. From what I recall being told, even with a high resting heart rate, you still need to be careful with the max heart rate just like everyone else.

Again, I am not Doctor. But, if it were me, I certainly would be pushing for a more detailed answer than "everything is normal".

Scott
Agree with winders. A resting rate of 90-100 bpm seems high.

72 bpm at rest has been considered "normal" for decades. For someone in relatively good shape & aerobically fit, 60 bpm is about right. When I ran everyday (& was 20 years younger), my at rest heart rate was 45-48 bpm.

We're all different, thank goodness, and I've no idea as to your age, size and level of physical fitness; but, why not see a cardiologist and have a stress test?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
I am very interested in a setup that will work. I tried to search for a Polar s720i, but I did not get any hits. Any recommendations? - I tried to use my Polar watch with a chest strap under my suit and never got any reception between the strap and the watch.

I also want the ability to review the data (i.e. recording).
Ricky,

Your Polar should have no problem connecting through your suit. In winter, I layer three, sometimes four layers over the sensor when I am riding my bikes and it connects fine. Some tips to getting it to connect: make sure the strap in dripping wet first, connect away from anything that may interfere with the signal (i.e. your vehicle). The software I am using is provided by Polar, Polar Pro Trainer 5> http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/suppor...gory=downloads

This software is incredibly powerful and has many options and analysis tools. Depending on your model you may or may not have the ability to use this package.

They also offer the older package PPP for free>
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/suppor...gory=downloads

You may want to upgrade to the RCX-5>
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...ultisport/RCX5

As far as the video sync goes...that was a manual sync done in an Adobe post production video editing suite, Premiere. It could easily be done in Windows Movie Maker or Apple Movie Maker.

Last year at Sebring I saw one of the GTC drivers with his Polar on during the autograph sessions and talked to him awhile about how they use this data for coaching and training purposes. You would think one of the race data companies; AiM, MoTeC or Traqmate would offer this data integration as an add-on. I have just started using data logging with my Android and using RaceRender for data/video overlays. I will contact them and see if they could add HR as an option.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
Ricky,

Your Polar should have no problem connecting through your suit. In winter, I layer three, sometimes four layers over the sensor when I am riding my bikes and it connects fine. Some tips to getting it to connect: make sure the strap in dripping wet first, connect away from anything that may interfere with the signal (i.e. your vehicle). The software I am using is provided by Polar, Polar Pro Trainer 5> http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/suppor...gory=downloads

This software is incredibly powerful and has many options and analysis tools. Depending on your model you may or may not have the ability to use this package.

They also offer the older package PPP for free>
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/suppor...gory=downloads

You may want to upgrade to the RCX-5>
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...ultisport/RCX5

As far as the video sync goes...that was a manual sync done in an Adobe post production video editing suite, Premiere. It could easily be done in Windows Movie Maker or Apple Movie Maker.

Last year at Sebring I saw one of the GTC drivers with his Polar on during the autograph sessions and talked to him awhile about how they use this data for coaching and training purposes. You would think one of the race data companies; AiM, MoTeC or Traqmate would offer this data integration as an add-on. I have just started using data logging with my Android and using RaceRender for data/video overlays. I will contact them and see if they could add HR as an option.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! I'm off to get the RCX5 now!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Opted for a Polar RS800CX.. will report back on the details once I try it out!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I have wondered about my HR while racing as well. I did use my Garmin w chest strap while I ran 8-10 laps on my shifter kart and my HR was well over 170 when I pulled into the pits. So, with karting I am approaching my max hr of 183.

Quick Reply: Heart Rate on Track