Sponsored by:

PCA Mid Ohio Club Race 8-17-12

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I asked my mechanic yesterday whether anyone cuts off the factory mount and uses aftermarket and he told me that he doesn't think that is legal in stock class and that they usually just weld them back on when the fail and they end up stronger because of metal added during welding.
Stuff happens out there, all that really matters is no one was hurt. I would be less than pleased with your mechanic though - "they usually just weld them back on when they fail"?? On a race car? And I highly doubt they just snap off, it's fairly soft metal and shows distress/cracking before actual failure. Does he tech your car too? My shop installs the WEVO as standard track safety preparation (was automatic when they built my first full track (DE then) car 7 years ago).
Old 08-21-2012, 11:29 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Stuff happens out there, all that really matters is no one was hurt. I would be less than pleased with your mechanic though - "they usually just weld them back on when they fail"?? On a race car? And I highly doubt they just snap off, it's fairly soft metal and shows distress/cracking before actual failure. Does he tech your car too? My shop installs the WEVO as standard track safety preparation (was automatic when they built my first full track (DE then) car 7 years ago).
Let me clarify, I actually talked to the business partner and not the mechanic partner, and he was speaking generally about street cars and had no knowledge of what was on my car. Because the car needed body work before MO, it was fixed in Ohio and my shop did not do the usual pre-race service and inspection.

Further inspection of the car after the incident revealed that it does have reinforced sway bar mounts in the rear and that the weld failed, not the mount itself. These mounts were on the car prior to my purchase, so I am not sure what brand they are or what shop installed them.

Last edited by FrankyV; 08-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of the other guy, it seems he made no attempt to avoid Frank's car. Watching the video, it looks there was 4 secs between spin initiation and impact. Seems like something would have change with his car in that amount of time but, I can't tell anything about speed. I hope his car is repairable. Glad neither of you guys were hurt.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

It's a shame your car got messed up. I had a great time chasing you around on Friday in one of the early practices.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Speaking of the other guy, it seems he made no attempt to avoid Frank's car. Watching the video, it looks there was 4 secs between spin initiation and impact. Seems like something would have change with his car in that amount of time but, I can't tell anything about speed. I hope his car is repairable. Glad neither of you guys were hurt.
Randy, I would not fault the other driver at all as he does not appear to have much PCA experience and he just guessed wrong on where my car would be. It also looks like he may have locked up his brakes leaving him no ability for last second evasive maneuvers.

Last edited by FrankyV; 09-04-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Bob, I would not fault the other driver at all as he does not appear to have much PCA experience and he just guessed wrong on where my car would be. It also looks like he may have locked up his brakes leaving him no ability for last second evasive maneuvers.
Yeah. Many factors at work. I was not laying blame, certainly not on an innocent bystander. Just wondering if, somehow, an opportunity might have been lost.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John H
It's a shame your car got messed up. I had a great time chasing you around on Friday in one of the early practices.
John, is this directed at me? If so, what car were you driving?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,179 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
+1. And I'd think seriously about finding a new shop. I installed WEVOs on my car for the same reason as you Gary. IMO that is basic prep stuff. Street 911s with stock bars have torn the factory mounts off...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Good times this weekend. I had a rear drop link break in Sprint 1. Ran sprint two for a few laps but the bar was banging on the frame so I parked it.
That seems like what happened when my rear mount broke. The car will understeer.

Can anyone explain why Frank's green 911 snap spun? Did the bar hang down and drag or hit the axle or ???

I never thought a broken rear swaybar mount was dangerous (front, I understand will cause a car to spin).
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

yeh its always easy to go man i shoulda...at watkins for my wreck i shoulda just not gone out haha...i had an opening on the inside went for it, opening closed....if i had tried to just stop i probably woulda hit the other car but i bet the damage woulda been less.

in franks vid it looks like the guy coulda gone straight but there is a 944 that probalby would had to go straight off the hill into the gravel...but who knows...

definately a tough spot for all. and as said above glad no one was hurt in all the incidents...i know it doesnt make those involved feel any better but...
I hope the cars get fixed quick and cheaper than expected...were all some VERY nice cars...

Feel really bad for Dan...his car was HOOOKEd up (as usual) from the races i watched earlier and i know the work dawes and the rest put into that car...nothing but good thoughts for them in the future...i hope dan is able to get back on the horse...he is a very fast driver and outstanding guy talked to him on sunday and he was ok but you could tell the wreck definately ...understandably so.

Sorry to hear about hupfers troubles...he was MOVING all weekend and set a new record if im not mistaken (small consolation i know but still love his car) i think thats the closest ive been to that car (ya know at the start)
i think they should definately look at starting on the back straight, i know i was grided like 10th or so and i was still in the twisties when the green dropped. it was ok for the the most part but all it takes is a little something and as flatsics vid shows you really couldnt see much of what was going on...amazing reaction and avoidance.

also agree that its kinda strange there was no "hey are you ok" or checking to make sure the driver isnt in shock/is with it after a shunt like that...i know in my wreck that was the first question i was asked...and then was asked are you sure...medical is on its way.......granted i didnt drive to black flag but sometimes shock/adrenaline can hide alot of problems.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by analogmike
That seems like what happened when my rear mount broke. The car will understeer.

Can anyone explain why Frank's green 911 snap spun? Did the bar hang down and drag or hit the axle or ???

I never thought a broken rear swaybar mount was dangerous (front, I understand will cause a car to spin).
Could it be that the right front bar link did break or maybe the right A-arm broke? We did make two adjustments (stiffer) on the front bar earlier in the weekend. I presumed they were both broken by the impact since the outer wheel wheel was destroyed, but maybe not.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I had a really good time racing on the Pro course this weekend (more so than in 2010). Yes, the Pro course is better for racing. Good decision, PCA.

It was also a good decision to move the date. There was a great turnout this year. It was nice to see the paddock full again.

Astroman it was good to finally meet you.

I want to thank everyone for coming out to Mid Ohio. We did have a good turn out and we did have good weather, two wishes were granted.

I am hoping to build on this event, it looks as if the camping was a big hit, I saw folks out there Saturday night grilling and just having a good time relaxing.

I am sure that next year we will keep the same weekend, keep the 24 hr camping, and good weather.

We hope to bring another 20 cars next year and have 3 race run groups. I have already told the track not to book anything behind us that weekend so we can buy more track time.

Thinking about doing a party Saturday night food, beverages and a band at the track. We will see.

good luck with the rest of the schedule. MORPCA
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Frank, it was a great production. First time to Mid-Ohio for me, and I absolutely loved it! I was very impressed with the organization and really appreciate all the efforts you and the other volunteers put forward. I will put it on my calendar for next year!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Great event, will be back next year
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Dave Hayden Chair outstanding job!

Quick Reply: PCA Mid Ohio Club Race 8-17-12