Sponsored by:

Insights from HPDE instructors wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Ross_Bentley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insights from HPDE instructors wanted

I’m doing some research for another book and would like some input/insight from those of you who do a lot of HPDE instructing. Todays’ question: If you could have known just one thing that you know now when you started instructing, what would that be?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow Ross. Two whole posts already today!

Thanks for all you've given.

As one of the newer (PCA anyway) Instructors, I'd be delighted to start the ball rolling with two things I've learned to do; both have helped me, and I hope my students.

1) A clear explanation up front of my right seat style (perhaps a bit more aggressive than some others, but all is good) and definition of the terms I use, i.e.: Unwind, roll on, roll off etc. This helps communication once things get a bit quick...as they do with new students.

2) A definitive statement about speed. I explain that I won't be impressed with speed on the straight, that I have no need to teach straight line speed (yet) and that any speed carried over a certain level can only impeed the learning process. There is far too much to learn without the hassle and stress of going too fast into the first hundred corners.

Cheers, KB
Old 08-04-2012, 04:40 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

I've only been instructing for a couple of years, but I would have liked to know I had more power to reel the student in and they'd listen. My first student was, um, exciting. We survived the event, but I should have done a little more to reel him in from the get go.

On another note, long timers tend to fuss about the new cars being "too fast". I have instructed in everything from 914s and n/a 944s to 997s. I honestly feel more scared in the older cars. Perhaps because that's all I have ever driven, so I know the capabilities (*lack there of). These new cars make you look like a damn superstar so easily.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get a clear understanding about what your student wants to achieve from this weekend and be patient
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I've loved instructing and it certainly makes me a better driver as a result.

I tend to explain "why" certain things need to be done and that helps. But one thing that I have learned in recent years are techniques that students can use to avoid bad habits or lines.

Don't do that.. Not enough. I need to explain why they do some things even when they know intellectually that they shouldn't. And then give them a tool to avoid / control it.

Example: Don't early apex or creep in - especially on right handers (never mind bending the car etc). I heard it as a student a many times. But nobody told me how to control that. So now I explain why they do it and then give them a visual tool to control that tendency. It really helps.

So I wish I had learned earlier those tools I've accumulated to help students avoid / control all too common bad habits.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

1. Driving culture in different countries is very different.
2. The more expensive the car, the worse the driver.

R+C
Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Ross_Bentley
Intermediate

These are great comments. For some, it's difficult to even think back to when we started instructing (it was either so long ago, or all those years with a helmet squeezing the brain makes remembering a challenge!), so insights from some of the newer instructors is really useful.

Dan - I do remember an instructor years ago telling me all the things I shouldn't do - I'm not sure it helped at all. One thing I've learned is to tell my students what to do, and not bother with telling him/her what not to do. Parents know all about this, right? Try telling your kid not to do something and you know what happens...

Thanks. Keep the replies coming, please.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Ross - Thats funny I phrased it badly. I meant when someone habitually actually does do something wrong.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
get a clear understanding about what your student wants to achieve from this weekend and be patient
This stood out, and I'll expand on it. I was thrust into instructing from basically the time I got behind the wheel on track. Combination of a small region, youthful enthusiasm to volunteer for anything, and that I was the only guy in the region with an SCCA license. Problem was that it took me a while to figure out that not everyone wanted to make the track their second home and learn all the facets of operation from registration to tech to corner working to timing to instructing. Nor did everyone want to take rolling out to a DE as the stepping stone to a wheel-to-wheel "career."

Now, it didn't take me 28 years to figure it out. But I think that those who move into the instructor ranks ARE on the enthusiastic side, and generally have progressed through the ranks rapidly. So at times it's been disappointing to ride around with someone who thinks his single time hitting the track will allow him to boast to everyone back at the office and club that he went "racing."
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

In addition to the above, for me it was the importance of really, TRULY listening to the client...and also of offering genuine enthusiastic compliments when they do something really well.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

How important it is to adapt my style to the student; some love lot's of information, others less.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

1) Understand overloading the student.... the principle of coaching intervention (right moment, right explanation, right style) vs. interference. The environment (if carefully managed) with visual cues and line emphasis will teach a lot if you let it. Talk less. Driving is kinesthetic & visual.

2) Every student has a natural learning curve. Don't make it worse by opening your mouth (see above). Every time you open your mouth it should make the curve better. If you make it worse, shut up.

3) Be yoda from time to time.... Say stuff like "the pedals steer the car and the steering wheel slows it down". Don't explain, let them think. Cognitive engagement = problem solving = work = retention = real learning.

4) In reference to the above, understand the difference between coaching someone to a performance vs. coaching them to learn.

Things I wish I knew then and I'm still working on now
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

When I started instructing, one thing that took me a while to do was not to overload the student with too much information. I was trying too hard to show why I was in the right seat. I learned on ask them in the meet and greet how much they want me to talk when we are on track. I found it useful to not say much the first couple of laps and observe what they are doing, in order to formulate the plan to help them improve. Also, that positive reinforcement goes along way. And that it's useful to ask what other hobbies they have and what sports they play so I can tie in what we are doing in the car.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 AM
sig_a
Pro

Originally Posted by Carrera51
........... I found it useful to not say much the first couple of laps and observe what they are doing...............
Assessment is basic to teaching.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not an instructor, but have had many (and plan on having many more). The one thing that that I find very important is to make sure the instructors style jives with the student.

for example, im an engineer. Logical and emprical. I want quick, immediate feedback. simple things like "too much", "too late", "more, more...".etc. Ill gladly discuss details after the fact, but while im in the moment, I need "real time" feedback. I've had instructors that were discussing a turn 4 turns back. that doesnt work for me. I know I messed it up, you know it, help me when I get back around to it. but in the mean time, there is another corner approaching very quickly.

I dont want to hurt anyone's feelings, and im modest enough to assume that any communication issues are mine, but both sides need to feel comfortable with the teaching style. I wish a few times I had the forethought to give feedback to the instructor on what works for me.

The other thing Ive noticed is that there are DE instructors, and there are racing instructors. Again, match the student up to the teacher. I much prefer instructors who race, since that is my goal.

Quick Reply: Insights from HPDE instructors wanted