Sponsored by:

ALMS at VIR - Spectating

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts
Default ALMS at VIR - Spectating

Looking to go to see the September 15 ALMS race at VIR. Not having been to VIR before, I would be very appreciate of some insider info on whether one can freely walk around the infield and what some good viewing spots are? Are grand stand tix the best way to go?

Any Rennlisters going?

Thx.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will definitely be there. Not my first time at the track, but it'll be the first time I've been on a weekend that had something going other than NASA.

The infield is mostly open. You have to go around the outside to see Oak Tree, but there is good spectating up there. If it's anything like Petit (similar track/infield configuration), the same ticket will get you access to all areas that aren't private hospitality suites. They could choose to run things differently however, and I'm not sure how you would know since this is a new race (unless they tier ticket prices). You can watch the uphill esses from behind by the bridge to the infield, there are grandstands at Oak Tree, you can see the roller coaster section pretty well from areas just west of the paddock, and there is limited view on the ground next to turns 3/4/5. Unfortunately, the deck that gives you a good view of turns 1-5 is a hospitality area, but I imagine you can pay a bit extra for access to it.

VIR is a beautiful, well-managed track. Well worth a visit and I'm sure they will have it set up in a way that allows a general admission ticket to get you a great experience.

Also, I'd highly recommend Porschplatz tickets if they are set up like they were at Petit last year. Same price as regular admission, but access to the PCA tent where free (non-alcoholic) drinks are served and you have opportunities to do parade laps and other things.

Last edited by ep3_lol; 08-15-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Excellent info. Very much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no grand stand. Normally there are a few smallish bleachers set up at some of the popular viewing locations, but you should plan on taking a folding chair. Arrive early and stake your initial claim somewhere, then you can wander about looking for other vantage points. One of my favorites is the hill overlooking Turn 4 (with T-3 in the background). From the top row of the bleachers at the top of that hill you can see the cars go up the climbing esses, but you'll have to turn around because the bleachers face the other way (toward T-4 and 5).

Normally races are announced over loud speakers in various locations, but having your own portable radio with head phones should allow you to hear more of the broadcast over all those gloriously noisy cars.

After several years of Grand-Am, this is the first time for ALMS at VIR, so it's hard to say just what will be available, and how much spectator access to the paddock area there will be. I mention that because the paddock area (including the snack bar) was closed to spectators for most of the first day of the official ALMS testing weekend, even though there were very few cars testing (most had already tested). The VIR club member I was with emailed someone about it as we left, and the paddock was open to all the next day. Thus, I would not be surprised if the paddock were closed to spectators for the race weekend, although it was always open for Grand-Am races.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, ALMS Paddock is always open to spectators on race weekends. Test Sessions are different.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's good to know. So bringing your own lunch and cooler to the track is optional.

I was disappointed that I pre-paid to see the official VIR ALMS test weekend, yet saw only a handful of cars on track. We were told that most ALMS teams rented the track together just prior to VIR's ALMS test weekend. Sneaky.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Originally Posted by fbroen
Excellent info. Very much appreciated.
No problem. To expand on what Jim said about grandstands, I'll say he's probably right. I've never been to an F1 track or any big spectator circuit aside from NASCAR ovals, so my perception of "grandstand" may be a bit skewed. The bleachers by Oak Tree are fairly large, but they are probably not so big that getting a spot on them will be easy.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

I saw Baltimore last year, and paddock access was really good. Waching the race was tougher though. Buildings, double fencing, and advertising on the fence made it tough to see more than very quick glimpses. Which is why I think the openness of VIR should be great.

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
Unfortunately, the deck that gives you a good view of turns 1-5 is a hospitality area, but I imagine you can pay a bit extra for access to it..
Assuming the deck is at "the Pagoda", then yes, $150 /person (in addition to admission):

"Purchasing a hospitality ticket in addition to a general admission ticket will grant you a view of the race from the upper deck of the Pagoda overlooking turns 3 and 4 and an excellent view of the front straightaway going into turn 1, access to a climate controlled hospitality suite, with closed circuit television, and all day food selections during the event hours. Cash Bar available."
http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/pe...nce_id=1603093
Old 08-17-2012, 09:07 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Yep, that's the one. The view isn't worth $150, maybe the A/C and food are though.

Quick Reply: ALMS at VIR - Spectating