Sponsored by:

Thinking about going from DE to Club racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM
cometb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going from DE to Club racing

Need some input. Short story is that I am a "yellow" solo DE driver (usually mid to front of the pack depending on the day) driving a 81 911SC. The car is pretty much built as a "D" stock PCA car (full cage,etc.). After some prodding from some prior instructors, I am thinking about doing my rookie race weekend in October at MSR- Cresson. I am a member at MSR so I am as comfortable there as anyplace. I have no illusions that I will even come close to being competitive but think it would be a great learning experience and a blast.

I have a "check ride" scheduled during a PCA event in September to see if they will sign off on my application. Any advice or inout would be welcomed. While I think it would be a great time, I don't wnat to get myself in over my head and certainly do not want to put anyone else at risk (concern #1).
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I entertaining the same thought. And I'm curious to read start-up racing experience of others.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cometb
Need some input. Short story is that I am a "yellow" solo DE driver (usually mid to front of the pack depending on the day) driving a 81 911SC.
it is a wrong place to ask such a question. it never leads to anything good.

if you want to get racing license no one could stop you from finishing skip barber, for an example. in my mind DE and racing do not exclude each other, some other people here are zealots of a different religion. to each his own.
i would only suggest you review your current region and decide what class your car fits in , prepare it and start working with that organization, may be do some time trials first to see where you are compared to others. then decide.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you've ever found yourself bored or looking for more of a challenge during a DE then by all means DO IT!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2BWise
If you've ever found yourself bored or looking for more of a challenge during a DE then by all means DO IT!!!
bored at DE? it is funny. unless you are an a.senna re-incarnated it is unlikely to happen, imho, as you are free to drive the line you want to drive. challenge yourself. plus dodging traffic only helps to build up reflexes.

in my opinion you just need to work with people who will give you an honest and accurate assessment of your current skills and will not propose an opinion that your car in fact drives itself around the track while you are sitting still in there smoking bamboo. or say whatever else that fits their agenda. like in the business - trust nobody blindly but be smart and polite and it will work itself out.

plus, what i want to say really - if you want to go racing - did you ever drive on the oval? where your driving skills are now and how do you know if you are able to do an honest assessment of them? that is really a core topic here - if one is able to do correct self-review and correct existing issues.
did you pay somebody else to assess you, preferably a pro? I did and I know how far it is still up there for me to actually get anywhere close to the podium even if i start driving in mid-pack. perhaps it could be fun, no doubt, but i do not see much point to compete if i have 0% chances to win. not to mention chances to wreck others while trying to do something what you cannot yet do reliably enough.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it, but be prepared to go down the slippery slope of trailer and tow vehicle, if you haven't already!

Also, I'd highly encourage going to a racing school. Many tracks offer good ones (Mid-Ohio, Autobahn), etc. The Skip Barber suggestion is also a good one. You can learn to drive fast in DE, but the dynamics or W2W racing are very different. You wil be more safe to yourself and others if you seek out some more specific training - it's not all obvious.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely do it! I'm also a member at MSR and have been out there the last few weekends doing testing on the new SP996. PM if you want to talk offline in more detail.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get some seat time with someone in your club region instructing you with that goal in mind. You will find that the DE line and race line can be quite different and it is a different mindset.

Someone with an A type, aggressive, competitive personality can get bored with DE as their skills improve and they continually wait in traffic. For some it's a natural evolution, that's not good or bad, it just is.

DE's can continue to be fun, entertaining and challenging only if you run with the right group of people. It can also be incredibly frustrating
Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to go racing and your instructors and check ride say you are ready then I say go for it. You can learn to go faster at the same time you're learning to race. No reason to wait until you think you can run up front.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
bored at DE? it is funny. unless you are an a.senna re-incarnated it is unlikely to happen, imho, as you are free to drive the line you want to drive. challenge yourself. plus dodging traffic only helps to build up reflexes.
I'm certainly no Senna, but I got bored with DE's after I started racing. These days without the competition aspect I feel like I'm just putting needless wear and tear on the car.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
Definitely do it! I'm also a member at MSR and have been out there the last few weekends doing testing on the new SP996. PM if you want to talk offline in more detail.
Horus my buddy never stopped to look at your car,congrats/sorry about the sale.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
I'm certainly no Senna, but I got bored with DE's after I started racing. These days without the competition aspect I feel like I'm just putting needless wear and tear on the car.
If running up front was a requirement alot of us would not be racing. ten years in my case.

Once you start racing you may find DE's are just not the same.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Child
well, i run with AiM logger for an year now, i do notes of what i try to do then i look at the data trying to make some sense out of it, it an interesting process by itself and a technical part of it alone makes it quite interesting for me. you still do compete, but with yourself alone.

i could definitely understand what it is you are saying. it is same with any competition vs individual training in any sport, i just do not think it is so important to try to separate one from another.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Get some seat time with someone in your club region instructing you with that goal in mind. You will find that the DE line and race line can be quite different and it is a different mindset.

Someone with an A type, aggressive, competitive personality can get bored with DE as their skills improve and they continually wait in traffic. For some it's a natural evolution, that's not good or bad, it just is.

DE's can continue to be fun, entertaining and challenging only if you run with the right group of people. It can also be incredibly frustrating
Very good advice...
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

cometb,

Be sure and reach out to Keith Olcha and/or Jon Sandusky BEFORE the September event and let them know of your desires. They can provide you with very good feedback on your documented skills (noted by your prior instructors at previous Maverick or LSR DEs) and a possible timeline for an endorsement on your PCA Club Racing license. Ultimately, Keith or Jon will need to provide Susan Shire a recommendation regarding your application for a PCA license (assuming your are a Maverick Region member. If not, you will need a recommendation/endorsement from the Chief Driving Instructor of your PCA region). You will, obviously, need to have all your prerequisites (safety equipment, car prep, medical and your license application) ready along with your endorsement from Keith or Jon in advance of an interview with Susan Shire. That interview is crucial to the scheduling of your Rookie weekend and PCA Club Racing License school. Given that the October club race is in close proximity, it may be tight. Keith and Jon will be your very best source of information around possibilities and timelines.

Toby (DE Instructor in Maverick Region Team 3)

Quick Reply: Thinking about going from DE to Club racing