Sponsored by:

48-52' gooseneck

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 48-52' gooseneck

Starting to think about a 2 car trailer for hauling my wife's CR and my RS for DE's. Now we either have to take her CR on our open trailer (she won't drive a manual on the track) or (if near by) she has to drive hers to the track while I trailer the RS. Neither are optimal.

There seems to be a WIDE range of prices for goosenecks. Anyone have any experience with these guys? They advertise heavily on racing junk and seem to be very reasonably priced.

http://www.hurricanecargo.com/index....trailer-1.html

Any other recommendations? I'm going to buy a used F350 DRW to tow it.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do. Maybe you want to look at this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...k-trailer.html
Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I did see that one. Want at least 48' to store all my goodies along with 2 cars
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,489 Likes on 2,271 Posts

if you want to spend that much money, trailer truck and all, and haul $250,000 worth of "stuff" in the trailer, buy a GOOD trailer. my money would goto ATC of featherlight. sit down when you chk the prices and have your cardiac MD's phone number ready.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Mooty - what makes the Featherlite and ATC "GOOD" trailers? I'm trying to figure out why some manufacturers charge 2-3x what others do.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

ATC and Featherlite make aluminum trailers - they are the lightest and last the longest.

I just bought a 2001 Featherlite 4941-8632 (32' floor and 8' over gooseneck). Heading out the door after breakfast to the shop to check it over.

2 A/Cs; fully insulated; Diesel generator; cabinets; 12 d-rings; 4500# winch - I'm gonna be happy hauling my 2 cars to the track!

Price differences are based on aluminum or steel and the then the add-ons in the interior.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Sounds great. Where did you find it? Any pics? Looks like Featherlite doesn't make a 48' trailer unless you want one of the stackers/race trailers.

Originally Posted by Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
ATC and Featherlite make aluminum trailers - they are the lightest and last the longest.

I just bought a 2001 Featherlite 4941-8632 (32' floor and 8' over gooseneck). Heading out the door after breakfast to the shop to check it over.

2 A/Cs; fully insulated; Diesel generator; cabinets; 12 d-rings; 4500# winch - I'm gonna be happy hauling my 2 cars to the track!

Price differences are based on aluminum or steel and the then the add-ons in the interior.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forme
Starting to think about a 2 car trailer for hauling my wife's CR and my RS for DE's. Now we either have to take her CR on our open trailer (she won't drive a manual on the track) or (if near by) she has to drive hers to the track while I trailer the RS. Neither are optimal.

There seems to be a WIDE range of prices for goosenecks. Anyone have any experience with these guys? They advertise heavily on racing junk and seem to be very reasonably priced.

http://www.hurricanecargo.com/index....trailer-1.html

Any other recommendations? I'm going to buy a used F350 DRW to tow it.

I've owned 2 Hurricane trailers. Work great, zero issues, and a lot of bang for the buck. Talk with Benji and you can spec it out.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I do. Maybe you want to look at this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...k-trailer.html
That is a steal! I'd love to have that baby!!!!! I just don't have a need yet.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Sounds great. Where did you find it? Any pics? Looks like Featherlite doesn't make a 48' trailer unless you want one of the stackers/race trailers.
That 44 for sale, the overhang is 8ft so you have 36ft of car storage space. You can store plenty in the overhang. 36ft should be plenty for the cars.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Just a caution. IMO, 48' to 52' gooseneck is the most ungainly, difficult to maneuver towing solution out there. Anything that long should be towed by a tractor. Very few gas stations, convenience marts, shops, hotels or inns can accommodate that long a rig.

I towed a 44' double-decker Pace almost a million miles in twenty years with a 3500 Chevrolet, then an F350 Ford DRW truck, four small cars and all the gear. Brakes were marginal and yes, it did scare me.

The 48' and 52' trailers have such rear overhang that you WILL catch something (fuel pump island guards, another car?) turning to get in or out of a fuel stop. If you go into the truck stall, the nozzles are too bug for the truck and the dirty looks are a pain.

44' is plenty.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Both good points. Just measured the RS at 16' and the CR at 15'. Assuming some day I'll be towing 2 RS's, that means 32' of cars plus 2' extra space for each car, would be 36'. That would leave only the overhead space for storage in a 44'. Not sure my back can take heaving all the tools and junk up there and down again. Would a shorter stacker be a better solution?

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
That 44 for sale, the overhang is 8ft so you have 36ft of car storage space. You can store plenty in the overhang. 36ft should be plenty for the cars.
Originally Posted by Lolaman
Just a caution. IMO, 48' to 52' gooseneck is the most ungainly, difficult to maneuver towing solution out there. Anything that long should be towed by a tractor. Very few gas stations, convenience marts, shops, hotels or inns can accommodate that long a rig.

I towed a 44' double-decker Pace almost a million miles in twenty years with a 3500 Chevrolet, then an F350 Ford DRW truck, four small cars and all the gear. Brakes were marginal and yes, it did scare me.

The 48' and 52' trailers have such rear overhang that you WILL catch something (fuel pump island guards, another car?) turning to get in or out of a fuel stop. If you go into the truck stall, the nozzles are too bug for the truck and the dirty looks are a pain.

44' is plenty.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Would a shorter stacker be a better solution?
That's what I would do. The stacker will cost more, but be a much better solution. I have a 34' ATC goose and love it. All alum trailers are the way to go. 4 years later and everything still looks new.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Both good points. Just measured the RS at 16' and the CR at 15'. Assuming some day I'll be towing 2 RS's, that means 32' of cars plus 2' extra space for each car, would be 36'. That would leave only the overhead space for storage in a 44'. Not sure my back can take heaving all the tools and junk up there and down again. Would a shorter stacker be a better solution?
The spare wheels and tires would be mounted on the sides so you would have enough space to strap down a rolling tool box at the front, ect. You have more room then you think.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F350 DRW allows me to use the truck stop pumps. It has a large mouth opening. Very convenience when towing and fills my tanks sooo much faster.
I agree with Peter about a rig that long being a royal PIA. I would be on my way to pick up the one in the ad if it were a 32' to 34' length. The ideal setup is like Colin`s-38D`s.

You may want to look at stackers. I think one was listed recently. James Safronas? Can`t remember.

Quick Reply: 48-52' gooseneck