Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts
Default kind of OT: 2 wheel tracking

It's been years since I was actually tempted to do a "track day" or DE event, I mainly just race or drive on the street, but in the last year or two I've been riding motorcycles a lot more and was wondering if anyone here rides on track?

driving fast cars at DE events has lost the luster for me after I started racing, and feel like this would really be fun. I enjoy canyon riding etc but just like in a car you realize some idiot can always ruin your day or worse by coming around the bend and into your lane.

I know for a fact that it's safer for me to ride in a controlled environment vs through topanga canyon etc.

Don't worry I'm not that jerk wearing a mohawk on my helmet either.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't, but know many guys that do.

Just like in a car, you know to start out with good instruction. Accoding to my friends this is a good place to start. They speak highly of this program as a bunch have done it.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/563/72...ng-School.aspx
Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

At the risk of sounding like an old man I'd highly suggest not tacking bikes as it could adversely effect your career

I have never been able to replicate the rush of tracking a bike. I took all the right precautions, did it in a controlled environment and had a couple of innocent enough off's but my big off will stay with me forever. My left shoulder will never be the same. 90-95% is good enough for a guy like me who sits at a desk all day, could be a bigger impact to an athlete.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Check in with Robert Henricksen. He rides.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll try have my friend, who's on here now as he's moved to four wheel racing, make some comments about getting into track bikes in his '30s, and the racing career that flowed from that.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
At the risk of sounding like an old man I'd highly suggest not tacking bikes as it could adversely effect your career

I have never been able to replicate the rush of tracking a bike. I took all the right precautions, did it in a controlled environment and had a couple of innocent enough off's but my big off will stay with me forever. My left shoulder will never be the same. 90-95% is good enough for a guy like me who sits at a desk all day, could be a bigger impact to an athlete.
there's a window on my career, wouldn't really be interested in tracking before that, just putting out a feeler- I definitely know what pays the bills
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...j-ichiban.html

err, take one Desmosedici to the Nürburgring and spend a weekend seeing how slowly you can ride it. I'll provide the blonde on a matching bike.

R+C
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi CJ,

I have raced motorcycles on track and done track days when I was younger. I have also been called on a few times by the CA super bike school to brake in the new bikes, which is quit fun at "streets of willow" riding under a certain rpm for 8 hours only stopping for gas and restroom.

I know you know what you are doing and have a good head on your shoulders so policing yourself at a motorcycle track day would be no prob. for you.

You could also try this

http://www.superbikeschool.com/

Joe
Old 09-25-2012, 12:40 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

I know for a fact that it's safer for me to ride in a controlled environment vs through topanga canyon etc..
Yeah, take it to the track and find someone to work with on the fundamentals. That's what I did for 4 years before switching full time to 4 wheels. Loved it!

I think it's easier to get into as you get older because you are likely to respect it/fear it more than when we were young(er) and invincible. I would suggest a school with gear provided before jumping in with a whole new set of everything.

We only go around this crazy train once right? No sense in working if you can't enjoy it every now and then.

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

No doubt it's a blast... but I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

A friend of mine owns a track popular with the two-wheeled folk, and although I can't remember his stats... let's just say they red flag the track several times per day and ambulance trips to the hospital occur more than once per event. Every event. Without fail. He's on RL if you want to give him a shout (brucegre)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Although I did motocross so it's different (if you didn't fall during your practice session, you weren't trying hard enough), I haven't been on a dirt bike for a while but my fukced up shoulder and both knees remind me every day about those days...
Only done one track day on asphalt and have to say it was pretty damn cool and have been thinking about doing again although my bike isn't exactly a bike for that.

there's a window on my career, wouldn't really be interested in tracking before that, just putting out a feeler- I definitely know what pays the bills
That's good to hear!

However, since you're carving canyons with your bike, it certainly would be more safe to carve some "canyons" in Laguna Seca or something so you shouldn't put off thinking of going to track, you just need to remember your limits and that you're not racing so you keep the pace slow enough.

What bike do you have btw? Just curious. Here's my commuter/South Beach hopper, love bikes.
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1
Although I did motocross so it's different (if you didn't fall during your practice session, you weren't trying hard enough), I haven't been on a dirt bike for a while but my fukced up shoulder and both knees remind me every day about those days...
Only done one track day on asphalt and have to say it was pretty damn cool and have been thinking about doing again although my bike isn't exactly a bike for that.

That's good to hear!

However, since you're carving canyons with your bike, it certainly would be more safe to carve some "canyons" in Laguna Seca or something so you shouldn't put off thinking of going to track, you just need to remember your limits and that you're not racing so you keep the pace slow enough.

What bike do you have btw? Just curious. Here's my commuter/South Beach hopper, love bikes.

love it- I've got a few bikes...the funny thing is that not only are they way cheaper than cars, but they're way more fun. I do realize the risk which is why I'm really grateful that alpinestars gave me a motoGP race replica suit a few weeks ago. I always wear full safety equipment. I struggle with the concept of people who ride in t-shirts.

2009 vespa 150s
2011 honda CBR250R- perfect "learner bike", even put a full exhaust on it myself
ducati monster 796
ducati multistrada pikes peak
triumph daytona 675R
Old 09-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi, CJ - I started doing bike trackdays a year & a half ago, after 10 years of car stuff (including three years @ the 25 hour! )

Definitely agree with a) not jeopardizing your career, and b) older age being a wonderful safety factor in not doing (as much) stupid stuff. I am definitely a more conservative rider than I was a racer; knowing how much longer it takes to heal these days is always in the back of my mind!

(Edit: Oops - forgot you'd moved to California...)

In Texas, there are a number of track day organizations, including:

Ridesmart.info
Track Tactics
Lone Star Track Days

You can check out www.wforiders.com and www.motohouston.com for a couple of entry points into the bike/track scene, among others.

Last edited by Robert Henriksen; 09-25-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: mea culpa
Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

love it- I've got a few bikes...the funny thing is that not only are they way cheaper than cars, but they're way more fun. I do realize the risk which is why I'm really grateful that alpinestars gave me a motoGP race replica suit a few weeks ago. I always wear full safety equipment. I struggle with the concept of people who ride in t-shirts.

2009 vespa 150s
2011 honda CBR250R- perfect "learner bike", even put a full exhaust on it myself
ducati monster 796
ducati multistrada pikes peak
triumph daytona 675R
Nice stable!
Yeah, not only are bikes cheaper than cars but they take up a lot less garage place!
(you've seen my tiny garage)

I have to admit riding in t-shirt and shorts (never without a helmet, not even when I was younger and had a Harley) but at track, IMO there can be no other choice than to wear everything.

Quick Reply: kind of OT: 2 wheel tracking