Sponsored by:

Entry level racing . ...not spec Miata

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Some very good information and some misguided information.

FF motors do not blow up at the drop of the hat. A few hours of run time is bullsh*t. If you want to run at the very pointed edge of the field at the Sprints or the Runoffs then you probably will be refreshening the motor once a year. If you are running vintage you can go a long time between rebuilds. Parts are readily available. Vintage fields are more plentiful than SCCA regionals and nationals. If you buy a quality vintage FF and take care of it, the resale should be pretty high.

FF is a great place to learn racecraft. Mistakes are magnified in these light low HP cars. No down force puts a premium on smooth driving and understanding how the chassis works. There probably isn't a better place to learn the skills to drive quickly and smoothly.

Spec Miata and SRF are also great places to learn. Any low HP class is going to be better than jumping into something with high hp. I've watched numerous well funded guys buy Cup cars only to find out 2 to 3 years later that spending big dollars on the car doesn’t help them run with the fast guys. It's not the car.

Building a racecar is always a losing game. You'll spend two to three times what you thought you were going to spend and will need to spend more to get it to work well. That money could have been used to better effect by spending it on track time. Buy a car that is already sorted and go to the track often. Laps, Laps, Laps..

Renting can be a good idea as well. You can see what you are getting into before taking the leap.

Go to the track you plan to race most often and find out what class has the most participants. Racing isn't much fun without someone to race against.

YMMV
I agree, i would go to the your home track look at what classes are running and would be fun to run it. (Low HP) classes in my opinion. Half the fun in racing is hanging out with the guys you are racing against, in my view. So the crowd you run in is important.

On the car, I built my first car, don't do it, you do not know enough about it and what works and what doesn't. Buy a built car, try to find a decent one, not the cheapest, and not the most expensive, but something that was well built in the middle.

If you do these things right club racing can be the best experience. Some people do not last long at it if they have unrealistic expectations.

Start of with the belief that you suck at driving, and learn to drive before you buy every part imaginable for your ride.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

FF motors do not blow up at the drop of the hat. A few hours of run time is bullsh*t. If you want to run at the very pointed edge of the field at the Sprints or the Runoffs then you probably will be refreshening the motor once a year. If you are running vintage you can go a long time between rebuilds. Parts are readily available. Vintage fields are more plentiful than SCCA regionals and nationals. If you buy a quality vintage FF and take care of it, the resale should be pretty high.
Until you bounce a flywheel off the track and crack a crank. Kent's are not super stout motors. Most people rebuilt every year or less, vintage or not. There is a reason people are switching cars over to Honda powerplants.

Better than vintage Formula F is the F1600 series. If you want some serious racing with 40+ other cars at great events, www.f1600series.com.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Those open wheel cars scare me, I need a cage around me, fenders over my wheels, and something between that car and my teeth...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
And as usual Streak is discouraging anyone else from joining his class. Still afraid of competition?
You kangaroo loving son of a . . . . !

The op indicated that spb had too few cars in his area.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Until you bounce a flywheel off the track and crack a crank. Kent's are not super stout motors. Most people rebuilt every year or less, vintage or not. There is a reason people are switching cars over to Honda powerplants.

Better than vintage Formula F is the F1600 series. If you want some serious racing with 40+ other cars at great events, www.f1600series.com.
Tim, if it's the Tim I'm thinking of, has a DB6 so he knows the FF world. I think he took my comment about motor life being measured in hours at the extreme end of 4-8. My experience with them was around 20 they start getting noticably tired. Yes there are guys who run 40-60 hours on a motor but they aren't strung out motors putting out top numbers.

The Fit is sweet. If I hadn't just bought the SRF when it was annoucned I would likely be in a DB1-Fit right now.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
olympic
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days

POC, look no more. I own a 997 GT3 and live in So. Cal. It's a great program with all levels of competition.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. That is me with the DB6.

Flywheel strikes are a bad thing. Had one in my old Crossle. It can be prevented.

Every car has its problems. The FF is not particularly better or worse.

SCCA open wheel competition is not a bang'em form of racing. We give room and respect. Open wheeled guys understand what happens when wheels touch.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
Hello;

I used to race motorcycles and have done a couple of few track days in my 997s.
I'm exploring the idea of a dedicated race car, not really interested in spec Miata.
I'm looking to get into a class where there are plenty of comparable cars racing (which seems to exclude Spec Boxster in the SE) and just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or guidance.
I'm a little confused with the different sanctioning bodies (SCCA), plus what PCA has to offer.
I'm in Charleston SC, so Roebling road, Barber, VIR, Road Atalanta and CMP are all in range.
Not looking to break the bank on this, maybe a 50k budget to buy, would like it to be less if possible.

thanks
we exchanged about this before - i would second spec E36 car as a start - look into that, cost wise it is way better option than anything PCA-like, body work is not expensive, gearboxes and engines are more affordable and simpler to work on and overall after spec Miata it is a best choice, you will like it.
check out all local SCCA events and NASA events, meet with people, you will see how it differs from PCA and then make your choice based on what atmosphere is more suitable for you. what class to run with - a spec or in a GTS3/4 is your choice, again, but what folks say about specE36 is true, there are plenty of cars available to buy and it is way cheaper than to build up and support anything Porsche based. Do not look at original buy cost – look at support costs and labor rates if you cannot work on the car yourself. Also, try out any E36 based race car with tuned down E46 motor in it - it is a lot of fun, tons of torque and it handles very well.

ps. spec miata folks are great, if you are young you may like it much more there. try it all first, hang around, then decide.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes. That is me with the DB6.

Flywheel strikes are a bad thing. Had one in my old Crossle. It can be prevented.

Every car has its problems. The FF is not particularly better or worse.

SCCA open wheel competition is not a bang'em form of racing. We give room and respect. Open wheeled guys understand what happens when wheels touch.

Good luck with your search.
You're corret, but their is plenty of agressive driving in Formula F. This is from the F1600 series. It gets interesting at about 2:40 and real fun around 3:00.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

How does one get track time with an open wheel car? Most of the events I run at will not allow open wheel cars on track with other cars, even on open track days. Seems like you would have to be a member of a track and run on member days.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
How does one get track time with an open wheel car? Most of the events I run at will not allow open wheel cars on track with other cars, even on open track days. Seems like you would have to be a member of a track and run on member days.
Another alternative is to find an open wheel race shop that is based at a track. The shop may have an arrangement where they are allowed to let their customers drive on track, although you may have to pay a fee to the track.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Matt,
You must work for the main stream media

That video is not from SCCA nor vintage. That's from the pro F1600. The two drivers are both teenagers looking to move up the ladder and have the ends justify the means attitude. You might recognize the camera car's drivers name, Newey.
They were both spoken to in a serious way.

You can find aggressive driving anywhere.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread for a second but if you guys in the Houston area want to see a show the LAT-AM races are at MSR Houston this weekend. Very entertaining IMHO. No costs to come and spectate this weekend.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Matt,
You must work for the main stream media

That video is not from SCCA nor vintage. That's from the pro F1600. The two drivers are both teenagers looking to move up the ladder and have the ends justify the means attitude. You might recognize the camera car's drivers name, Newey.
They were both spoken to in a serious way.

You can find aggressive driving anywhere.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You're corret, but their is plenty of agressive driving in Formula F. This is from the F1600 series. It gets interesting at about 2:40 and real fun around 3:00.

I said it was from the 1600 series. I also know Mike talked to them both, but you can see they kept at it the same as well. But, if you want to race a FF or FC (or even a FA), those series are the place to do it. The last regional in the NE had 1 FF, 1 NCF, 1 FC, 1CFC, and a CSR. That's pretty boring.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Note doubt about it. If I were not 1,000 plus miles
away I would be racing F1600 as well.

Perhaps Road Atlanta will get on the schedule. That's only a 750 mile pull.

Quick Reply: Entry level racing . ...not spec Miata