Sponsored by:

Next for the Lizards ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next for the Lizards ....

Looks like they are staying with Porsche but moving (down?) to GTC. Flying Lizards Announcement

What's this mean for the factory drivers? I thought Holzer did a fantastic job this year and hope he's not relegated to second tier someplace.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would imagine that they stay and run in GTC. I think they are just trying to keep them all together until the LMP car comes out next year.
Great to hear. I was starting to think that they were headed to Ferrari.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this pretty much does it for the RSR - it's an orphan now, right?

Where would an RSR race now? There's no GT-1 series (and Porsche wasn't interested when there was). ALMS just surrendered to GA (which is a Cup Car - almost GT-3 - series). They're not compliant with the (possibly growing, possibly shrinking) GT-3 series. Does ELMS still allow them or are their GTs also under the GT-3 rules?

So that'd leave the ACO - owner of one race, admittedly the most important one - to "defend" the RSR or, at least, give it a place to play.

Is the RSR dead?

Regards to all.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far only Seth and Spencer Pumpelly listed as drivers. will be interesting to see where Pat and Jorg end up.

Also, customer program with the Lizards?!?!? Why oh why must I be poor!?!!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Guy, check your sofa cushions. I'm sure there's enough in there to buy a seat at Sebring.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
So this pretty much does it for the RSR - it's an orphan now, right?

Where would an RSR race now? There's no GT-1 series (and Porsche wasn't interested when there was). ALMS just surrendered to GA (which is a Cup Car - almost GT-3 - series). They're not compliant with the (possibly growing, possibly shrinking) GT-3 series. Does ELMS still allow them or are their GTs also under the GT-3 rules?

So that'd leave the ACO - owner of one race, admittedly the most important one - to "defend" the RSR or, at least, give it a place to play.

Is the RSR dead?

Regards to all.
RSR is still racing ALMS next year with Falken and Miller...

Lets hope this GTC thing is just temporary until the 991 RSR comes out
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
So far only Seth and Spencer Pumpelly listed as drivers. will be interesting to see where Pat and Jorg end up.

Also, customer program with the Lizards?!?!? Why oh why must I be poor!?!!!!!
Interesting that Spencer is moving to Lizards as he was TRG's main driver after Andy left.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

pretty sure Pumpelly drove with Seth a couple of times last year

sad that the main factory team in USA is basically telling Porsche that the RSR is so uncompetitive it isn't worth paying the bill to race it in 2013
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems the logical course of action to me. Go run in a class and series where they can be the champions while they wait for Porsche to roll out the 991 RSR.

Not too worried about the factory drivers either. They've historically been pretty good at finding their own seats when they aren't officially driving for Porsche. They won't be homeless.

And I wouldn't be surprised if, like in years past, we see a Lizard entry at Daytona, which very likely would have a factory driver or two on their roster.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:59 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm digging all my sofas for quarters!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Seems the logical course of action to me. Go run in a class and series where they can be the champions while they wait for Porsche to roll out the 991 RSR.

Not too worried about the factory drivers either. They've historically been pretty good at finding their own seats when they aren't officially driving for Porsche. They won't be homeless.

And I wouldn't be surprised if, like in years past, we see a Lizard entry at Daytona, which very likely would have a factory driver or two on their roster.
^^This^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

My understanding is that Porsche pulled the plug on all of the R&D (read as free stuff) from the Lizards. That is why they are heading to GTC. We can all speculate as to where there will be going in 2014 but time will tell.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
My understanding is that Porsche pulled the plug on all of the R&D (read as free stuff) from the Lizards.
Which makes total sense. Why would Porsche, or any company for that matter, spend another cent developing a vehicle that is obsolete and slated for retirement in less than 12 months?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Lets hope this GTC thing is just temporary until the 991 RSR comes out
I understand and, of course, it makes sense for FL to "hibernate" in the TRG business model (ie: let someone else pay the bills for a while) - perfectly logical until GA/ALMS formalize their GT rules (which, I'm guessing, will remain Cup Car-based).

But, still, even with a new-for-2014 991 RSR, where will the car race, other than in LM 24 under the ACO - which seems to be the only place for non-GT-3-spec GT cars to race right now?

Isn't a new-for-2014 991 RSR a near-orphan the day it arrives?

Regards to all.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
I understand and, of course, it makes sense for FL to "hibernate" in the TRG business model (ie: let someone else pay the bills for a while) - perfectly logical until GA/ALMS formalize their GT rules (which, I'm guessing, will remain Cup Car-based).

But, still, even with a new-for-2014 991 RSR, where will the car race, other than in LM 24 under the ACO - which seems to be the only place for non-GT-3-spec GT cars to race right now?

Isn't a new-for-2014 991 RSR a near-orphan the day it arrives?

Regards to all.
I think it may be a little premature to say that there won't be a place for the RSR in the new merged GA-ALMS program. Right now, GA Cup Cars are much less like GTC Cups and much more like baby RSRs. All the top competitors have 4.0l engines, RSR gearboxes and RSR suspension components on the cars. We've all got to wait and see how it shakes out, but in addition to Porsche, ALMS has redunancy in BMWs, Corvettes, and Ferraris.

Whether GA writes rules that let the faster more powerful versions of the cars from ALMS come in or keeps the slower versions that are the current Rolex GT spec is the question I think that all of us want to see answered.

Quick Reply: Next for the Lizards ....