Sponsored by:

Announcers for F1 on NBCSN

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Posey is quite ill with Parkinsons I believe?

Hobbs is brilliant and pretty much predicted the outcome EXACTLY during P1. Amazing! Sharp guy.

Matchett's tech insight are often 15 years behind ('When I was at Bennetton' ..etc)

Buxton is pretty good, but like a squirrel on crack :-)
I like both Hobbs and Matchett and I think they have good chemistry but you're right about both...it's been far too long since either was in F1. Hobbs has no idea what a modern F1 car is like to drive, and Matchett's technical expertise is getting pretty dated (although he was working in F1 during the active suspension/driver aids era which is pretty interesting).

I think some more current experience would be good but I'm not sure who that would be in the US, if anyone.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

They could try to get Coulthard....
Old 11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

I've always liked Varsha, even if he is trained as a lawyer, and in a bit of trivia, almost made the Olympic marathon team many year back. Professional, and he knows his stuff. I hope after his obligations are over at Speed orwhatever it becomes, he moves back over to F1.
I did like Windsor, but he lost a lot of credibility after the USF1 fiasco... I kind of enjoy Buxton's hyperness and he does get the interviews. I heard he may be doing Indycar next year?? Find that kind of weird- you imagine him working with Robin Miller???
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbs insights may be old, but he is always the most entertaining guy on the broadcast. Also have to give some credit to a guy who survived and saw success during racings most dangerous era. Can am and formula 5000 cars were about as dangerous a race car as has ever existed. It really took "attachments" to race in his era. Of all the guys in Speed's booth, he is definitely the one I'd like to have a Scotch or two with.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I like all three in the booth, Hobbs is a hoot. If you make it to a race take a race scanner and you can listen in on the raw feed and the backroom discussions during the race/broadcast. Great stuff they really do know what they are talking about and the background/personalities involved. Hard to find anyone with that depth. It was painful whatching Buxton get his legs. He was dismissed by just about everyone he stuck a mic in front of. He seems to of gathered respect which has to be hard in that environment. Will be a bit sorry to see him go. Winsor was top notch but don't know if he could get past the humiliation...too bad.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a nice parting thank you from the Speed producer: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...mula-one-fans/

I will miss Varsha. I am very glad the other two are continuing.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have given up on Speed's broadcast and rely on Skysports (available next day). They also put together recap shows that trump Top Gear's cinematography and the info isn't watered down. It's a night and day difference to what we are used to.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I won't watch NBC if they get "I know you don't like interviews so here, swallow this mike" Windsor

I applaud Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett, I'd be ok if they keep Buxton
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buxton and Miller on Indycar? The off camera stuff would be hysterical. Could you imagine Buxton interviewing Danica? I know she is in neckcar. An instant classic.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

I have appreciated all years of Speedvision/Speed coverage of F1. At some point everything changes as folks get older and business needs evolve. I hope NBC does a good job.

I will miss Bob Varsha. I have been watching and listening to him since the IMSA days. He is a car guy, and I think a Porsche fan. I exchanged e-mails with him a few times last year about RR IV, and he was disappointed he couldn't make it due to his F1 obligations. First RR event he has missed.

I met him in person at Laguna back in 1997 or so. It was on a Friday on the CART weekend. PMNA showed up unannounced with the then-new GT1. McNish was doing some demo/promo/data collection laps. I convinced the late Bob Carlson to give me and a few friends PR-type access inside the baracades, and we got a private "tour" of the car's details from McNish and Alwin Springer.

All of the hot drivers and celebs came by... like Mario, Gil de Ferran, Tommy Kendall and many others. They all wanted to see Porsche's new GT car. Bob Varsha swung by as well. I think he was good friends with Carlson.

Anyway, I will miss Varsha on F1 duty. I am sure he will miss it too, as evidenced by his emotional goodbye. He really is a car and racing fan.

And he went to a pretty good college too, where he was an endurance athlete. I am sure we have similar letter sweaters.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Buxton and Miller on Indycar?
Miller will beat him up.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Miller will beat him up.
Ya think?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:57 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Miller will probably drink him under the table....
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

varsha MC'd one of our Atlantic award banquets and was the total professional and very personable and friendly in person. I'll miss Varsha!!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not missed a broadcast since the open of the Australian Grand Prix in 2007, and watched many more before that. I will certainly follow the F1 Circus to NBC Sports, no matter who is on board.

Having read all of Matchett's books, his information may be dated, but it's still relevant. He knows many of the people on pit-lane, and he knows how they interact.

2013 will be an interesting year, I hope NBC handles it with aplomb.

Quick Reply: Announcers for F1 on NBCSN