Sponsored by:

Tow VS Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Tow VS Drive

Haven't decided if I want to invest in a trailer. How many of you drive and how many of you tow? What are the pros and cons of each?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

I drive and pull a small tire trailer behind my car. The main differences are if you drive the car there you can't really do a stripped out race car, too damn hot to not have A/C! I also don't push nearly as hard as I could because in the back of my mind I'm thinking that I have to drive the car home at the end of the day.

Additionally if something happens to the car and you've towed it there, well, you just put it on the trailer and head home. Since I drive the car there I have to arrange for a tow home...

Most of the tracks I go to are within 1.5 hours of my house, so driving the car has worked out fine, some tracks are 6-8 hours away from me and I try to get my car into a friends multi car trailer for those events...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Karen - I tow a 24' enclosed. Advantages are having the car stored/protected, don't have to worry about breakdowns or incidents causing me to be stuck, less wear and tear on the car, (and in the case of my enclosed trailer) place to store spare parts/tires/gas/tools/etc., place to hang out in the shade (or out of the rain) to relax with friends.

Cons - need room to store the trailer, a truck to pull it, and the $70K the truck and trailer suck out of you because if ya gotta drive a truck, may as well be a NICE one!

If you already have a vehicle that can tow 5000 lbs you can find a used Trailex open trailer for about $5K. If you have a place to put it I don't see a downside..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

TRAILER...

1. After a long day on the track there is nothing better than a tow rig with big upgright seats, Domestic cold AC, satellite radio, et al.

2. If you have an issue, put your car on the trailer and take her home...

3. Tools, spare wheels, ice chest, easy up, etc. Where do you fit them all in the car??
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Usually trailer. Didn't for the only event last year and lost the whole weekend due to a flat tire and had to limp home.

Won't make that decision again.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte

Additionally if something happens to the car and you've towed it there, well, you just put it on the trailer and head home. Since I drive the car there I have to arrange for a tow home...
If you have to hitch a ride home, will any of the tracks let you leave your car there until you can come back and retrieve it?
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Karen - I tow a 24' enclosed. Advantages are having the car stored/protected, don't have to worry about breakdowns or incidents causing me to be stuck, less wear and tear on the car, place to store spare parts/tires/gas/tools/etc., place to hang out in the shade (or out of the rain) to relax with friends.

Cons - need room to store the trailer, a truck to pull it, and the $70K the truck and trailer suck out of you because if ya gotta drive a truck, may as well be a NICE one!
Already have the tow vehicle - need it for the boat. Totally agree with all the pros and cons
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nathan1
TRAILER...

1. After a long day on the track there is nothing better than a tow rig with big upgright seats, Domestic cold AC, satellite radio, et al.

2. If you have an issue, put your car on the trailer and take her home...

3. Tools, spare wheels, ice chest, easy up, etc. Where do you fit them all in the car??
Where do they fit on an open trailer? (tools, etc.)
Originally Posted by swftiii
Usually trailer. Didn't for the only event last year and lost the whole weekend due to a flat tire and had to limp home.

Won't make that decision again.
Tracks don't sell tires
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Con: 9 mpg towing at 65 mph - Stopping every 200 miles to refuel at $75 per
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of us think we can get away with driving to/from, but almost all end up with trailers. If you already have a tow vehicle, I'd say it's a no brainer- the major expense is already sunk.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Con: 9 mpg towing at 65 mph - Stopping every 200 miles to refuel at $75 per
Depends on your tow rig. I am running a 2007 Dodge 2500 2WD 6.7 6-speed. Did all the deletes, changed to a 3.42 R&P, Smarty Jr Tuner and it gets a legitimate 20 mpg towing a Featherlite 20' open ~4500 lbs w/ P-car in tow. Had a 20' enclosed (heavy steel POS) and it was 16-17 mpg.

Key is I drive 180 degrees different then I do when I arrive at the event. Never rev over 1700 rpm, cruise at 65 mph on the nose. Even taking it to 70 mph it drops to ~18. For a type A personality what was once painful is actually somewhat inspiring, forces me to chill out a little bit...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I used a UHaul trailer at first, then I broke down and bought one. Nothing worse than breaking at a track 500 miles from home when you have to work the next day. Buy an open trailer and see what you think. I always end up going back to an enclosed for the extra storage space both for track work and storing stuff somewhere besides the garage when not using it for the hobby.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm one of the only Instructors that drive to events it seems. It's a compromise- alignment, MPSC, etc. However- the older I get the faster I was so there ya go. I dream of trailers, tow vehicles, & Cup Cars.
It's always a challenge to drive to events but there are trailer challenges as well. It limits how far I go so a trailer opens up new tracks. I also have AAA Plus so sometines I get a ride home. I'm always amazed how much I carry in the car.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Karen - I tow a 24' enclosed. Advantages are having the car stored/protected, don't have to worry about breakdowns or incidents causing me to be stuck, less wear and tear on the car, (and in the case of my enclosed trailer) place to store spare parts/tires/gas/tools/etc., place to hang out in the shade (or out of the rain) to relax with friends.

If you already have a vehicle that can tow 5000 lbs you can find a used Trailex open trailer for about $5K. If you have a place to put it I don't see a downside..
+ a nice shady spot to sit in
Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not been to a track that sells tires.

Open trailer: Spare tires on tire rack on trailer. Tools and stuff in tow vehicle with rear seats down and I have a small row vehicle. No issues with Trailex trailer.

Well worth it for me.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Karen:
If you are just getting into tracking, I would recommend driving back and forth. Yes, there are some risks (metal forming and how to get home) but chances are (highly unlikely) that you will have that "problem." Load up the car, and enjoy the ride out, the track time and the ride home. Once you are addicted to tracking your baby, then it is time for safety equipment, addtional rims and r comp tires, tools, etc., then investigate the trailer (open). Hopefully, you don't have to invest in a truck, too. The open trailer and a truck will get everything that you own/need to the track. Yes, easier, more comfortable, more gas, etc., but worth it once you are ready. If you still have the passion and the funds, then I suggest an enclosed trailer and the right truck. Baby steps to get there, but the main purpose is to get there and have fun. GL.

Quick Reply: Tow VS Drive