Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA Rennlist Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 768 Posts

This is why we decided to go green on the outlap.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Which helped immensely, and demonstrates that volunteers were doing things to alleviate the issues in real time.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

That single decision gave the DE folks an extra green flag lap in the same session time as sessions with the standard double yellow out lap. HUGE difference and given the scheduling issues, very big bang for the buck.

I also think adding passing zones would not have helped much. I wouldn't want to see results from late passes in T2 leading into T3 in the DE groups with the carnage that T3-T4 have reputations for creating. There really weren't any better places to add passing zones.

For DE, you almost need "pass anywhere with a point", but then you would need more advanced drivers than I saw this weekend. I've never driven pass anywhere with a point, and I'm not sure I'd like to try it the first time for my first time at COTA.

-Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM
EPM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all DE Folks,

It was my accident that caused the cancellation of the last session, and for that, I truly apologize. I was also really looking forward to the last session. I was very fortunate in that the only thing hurt was my ego and I was equally shocked at the damage to the Armco that my hit caused. The DE guys are no different that the CR guys - PCA doesn't pay for it - I got a bill from the track today, which I expected.

I hope everyone got home safely,

Pierce
Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

I'm glad you are ok, accidents happen on the track to all drivers.
This was a big event and I want to thank the hosting organizations. I had fun and accomplished the only goal I had which was just to experience COTA.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Bryan_H
Track Day

I hear you and understand what you are saying. Yes, I used the terms "race control" and "stewards" interchangeably, as differentiated from the usual "control" which runs all on track operations regardless of race or DE. Again, apologies for any confusion in my use ot terminology. No, I never said that the stewards or "race control" ran what went on during DE sessions, only the schedule. To be crystal clear, we were told that the people controlling the race sessions--the stewards--also were controlling the schedule, which is what we passed on to the DE drivers. We were not told that the stewards controlled or ran the DE sessions, nor was this ever stated to the DE drivers, at least not by me, either in person or here.

Again, we were told the stewards dictated only the SCHEDULE. I guess you are saying this is untrue, so we passed on incorrect information. But neither I nor anyone else I know said that the stewards controlled what went on during the DE schedule. So I am being entirely misquoted there, and am very sorry anyone would send the stewards any "nasty" messages.
The Stewards did not/do not dictate the schedule if you mean by that what time things happen after the event starts. That is indeed incorrect information. That is normally negotiated on the fly with the DE leadership in control when bad things happen. In this instance CR groups were cut short all weekend when things happened simular to what apparently happened to DE. The exceptions would be the red group sprints where time just worked out and all of the enduros. The 10 lap races for the white group were about 24 minutes rather than the desired 30 due to a tight original schedule. We tried to run 12 laps in the last one but an on track incident prevented finishing on time so we shut it down at 10. The enduros on Sunday ran right on time except the last one which finished under full course yellow resulting in a 4 minute impact to DE. That next session was when the wall post was broken in DE.

I guess you could say we dictate the advanced schedule since we do approve it to make sure we have scheduled time to do the race groups within our normal event parameters like the 4 session first day, realistic practice time and the need for 15 minutes or so over race length to get the cars on and off track and clean things up. With those requirements the regions determine the number of groups etc.

When things happen late in a session that create a clean up you cant move time backward so the delay has to come out of subsequent sessions.

I am seeing DE complaints that they NEVER got in a complete session but on Friday they were first up so there was no CR before them to impact the schedule. The last sessions of the weekend should have had prety close to 2 hours to run. That shut down was not cause by CR.

I miss spoke in an earlier post. I do have the DE logs except for the last session. I did not know I had those. Sorry.

Bryan
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Might be hard to facilitate, but would it be possible in the future to have rental transponders that could be temporarily fixed to DE entrants...?

Fastest cars line up at the head of the grid just like racers.

With a lap as long as COTA, even at a 30 sec/lap differential, it'd take the faster cars 6 laps to catch the back.

T
Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

I'm but a lowly DE-er, but I for one had a blast and I don't plan to complain. My view is that this was a first-time event on a very different track/scale than is typical, and if somehow it turned out to be imperfect for certain folks in some way (shockingly!), that's to be expected.

Do I have opinions? Sure. But this isn't the time to complain. I'll focus on being thankful, and hopeful that we get this opportunity in the future. If that opportunity does arise, then I'm happy to offer some very constructive criticism about how it could be improved.

Cheers to all; I know it must have been a monumental undertaking to pull it off.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

One thing that didn't help was getting started 15 minutes late on Friday. Cars were gridded up before 8AM but we sat on the grid to at least 8:15 IIRC. Given how the weekend played out, that would have been our longest session. I don't know what happened. New event, new venue. The rain? I thought we prided ourselves on racing in the rain. In any case, that particular delay wasn't caused by DE or CR participants.

I think the bottom line is the schedule was just too optimistic for the number of participants and the length of the track. The organizations are used to TWS. The configuration at TWS is very efficient for getting cars on and off the track both in terms of its shorter length and the pit-out/pit-in configuration. I saw this personally in March at TWS when I paused at black flag to check my gas cap for leaks after the checker to ensure an earlier problem had been corrected. I pull up to black flag and stop. Cars following me leave the track. As soon as the last car cleared the hot pit, the next session was spilling onto the hot pit. The configuration at COTA prevented efficiencies like this.

I have no doubt that if we get another opportunity at COTA that the event will be better. There is a learning process here and a lot of volunteer effort was put into this.

-Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Doug007
Racer

There was some pretty serious lightning over the track Friday morning which may have been the reason for the delay. Shortly thereafter, the lightning had let up and it was just rain. That's about when they let the DE group out.

Gridding on the pit exit end might work better next time. Unless the track has some rule against that. I know lots of racers wanted to check tire pressures/temps so you would have to allow cars to do that in the hot pits and exit at the far end but for a DE you could eliminate this overlap in the future.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM
jabo
Advanced

Originally Posted by EPM
To all DE Folks,

It was my accident that caused the cancellation of the last session, and for that, I truly apologize. I was also really looking forward to the last session. I was very fortunate in that the only thing hurt was my ego and I was equally shocked at the damage to the Armco that my hit caused. The DE guys are no different that the CR guys - PCA doesn't pay for it - I got a bill from the track today, which I expected.

Pierce
Pierce,
Glad to hear that you are ok!
Despite our disappointment with a shortened session, I will say that it was great driving with you guys and getting to meet all of you.
Chasing Pierce in his GT2RS was fun, but he's gonna want some stickier tires for next time.

Cheers,

JB Smith
#157 Boxster Spyder
Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by EPM
To all DE Folks,

Pierce
Glad you're ok! That's all that really matters.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Might be hard to facilitate, but would it be possible in the future to have rental transponders that could be temporarily fixed to DE entrants...?

Fastest cars line up at the head of the grid just like racers.
Sounds like complete overkill and one additional complication that DE events don't need. Just think about the army of volunteers needed for just staging something like that. Let's not make the DE experience more technical and difficult especially for novice drivers to master.

From my experience, once you are in a run group where people get to know each other over time, the speed differences sort themselves out very quickly.

What has seemed to happen at COTA was a new track with a lot of new people and a very ambitious race/DE schedule. Sounds like the organizers did a fantastic job keeping a lot of ***** in the air at the same time.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 05-14-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

---
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by EPM
To all DE Folks,

Pierce
Double Ouch!

Glad you are ok -- hope your car and your wallet mend quickly.

Q: Does anyone know if track day insurance covers track expenses for what you hit?

Mike
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM
jabo
Advanced

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Double Ouch!

Glad you are ok -- hope your car and your wallet mend quickly.

Q: Does anyone know if track day insurance covers track expenses for what you hit?

Mike
From the policy I had, it seems the car itself is the only thing covered.
No medical coverage, or site damage coverage.

Quick Reply: COTA Rennlist Roll Call