Food at COTA next week

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Wild Bubba's BBQ, a couple miles east of the track. you will not be disappointed (unless you're one of them queer vegetarian types, in which case you should go back to San Francisco you pansy. yee haw!)
Dude, you are definitely fitting in QUICK with the Florida redneck crowd!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
We will have a blast. Also, I misspoke: water is $6 per bottle, not $4.
Drop another fiver in the whine glass I'll have set up in my garage.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone right past the gate people with cups of coffee in the car. No grief at all. We snuck in a whole case of water on the SCCA day, lulz. I'm sure you could smuggle in a sandwich and/or a cooler if you're headed in for the PCA thing.

Originally Posted by tonypai
The employees are COTA are super nice.

The food at COTA is ...... I don't know, I didn't buy anything but look good and was priced as you would expect. We went out to Subway.

All the corner workers go to the taco place behind the gas station. Ask them, they'll tell you where it is. It was excellent.
Eh, the food's all right, and a little pricey but that's expected. Standard Sodexho? fare.

Meches Tacos (trailer; hablan un poquito ingles) and La Tapatia (house; hablan pretty good English) nearby on 812 are goodness, plus if Wild Bubba's (wild game hamburgers) is open = also nom.

The grassy ground next to Meches' trailer isn't even, though. I popped the front bumper of the Lancer loose hitting a hidden ditch trying to drive across the shoulder there--derp. Hooray plastic and zip ties! So, uh, stay on the gravel.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
The grassy ground next to Meches' trailer isn't even, though. I popped the front bumper of the Lancer loose hitting a hidden ditch trying to drive across the shoulder there--derp. Hooray plastic and zip ties! So, uh, stay on the gravel.
Now THAT is a restaurant review!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Dude, you are definitely fitting in QUICK with the Florida redneck crowd!
well I was born in Mississippi
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Now THAT is a restaurant review!
+1,000! Beats the heck out of Yelp.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
What, as a paying guest, you don't like being asked repeatedly not to pee on the carpet? ZSA got it right. Post the rules once, and be done with it.

I'm feeling it too, and yet it's still quite worth it. I haven't been this excited about a track event in quite some time.

-Mike
I will bring in water bottles that I fill at home. I will bring in food & snacks. And they won't care. As Tony says, the food is a crappy as you'd expect at any other big sports venue. And priced accordingly.

Sorry, was not snapping at you. I guess I am really put off by the incredible arrogance in these latest emails. It's one thing to encourage us to patronize the track's vendors. It's another to demand it as if the track is entitled to extracting $4/bottle from us for water. Yep, they charge $4/bottle.

VR - go get a back rub and a waxing. You are almost to 30,000
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Tony says, the food is a crappy as you'd expect at any other big sports venue. And priced accordingly.
I was there a few month ago for the Driver's Edge event, I was hoping since we were all eating out of the "driver's cafe" that they brought in their A-team and maybe beefed up the menu. Man was I wrong, the food tasted like it had been sitting out under a heat lamp since F1. I don't mind the extra price, but the food was just terrible... and this comes from someone who is used to eating garbage.

Another vote to the little taco trailer to the left of Wild Bubba's.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sleder
COTA has the absolute BEST primary gate Woman! Her name is Patti if I remember correctly. She'll do a little welcome dance for you! That's how nice the staff at COTA is. I wish I could get that welcome everywhere. within a short distance is a variety of food and beverages. I would definitely bring as much as you need on a daily basis. Good Luck and Have fun, that's why you're going!
That lady was awesome. Makes up for the minimal food. Don't sweat the food thing. I saw no food sniffing dogs when I was there. Have fun.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

In March in the main paddock there were outdoor two shacks and a indoor semi buffet with small eating area. All were decent. One guy has a pretty good elk chilli and bufflo hotdogs, the other standard stuff like breakfast burritos, and the buffet had typical stuff in hot trays, fruit, yogurt in cold bins, to order pasta, sandwiches and burgers. Others mentioned just outside of COTA the all game meats place and there is a texmex place near the wild game place too which is good.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by danielyonker
VR - go get a back rub and a waxing. You are almost to 30,000
ROFL! Pipe down, Beyonce. Your slip is showing
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

We will have a blast. Also, I misspoke: water is $6 per bottle, not $4.
For reference, the wife fulfilled my drink order for COTA, a 24 pack of Aquafina was $5.99 from the grocery store. They gots some good markup on the track water.

-Mike
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, was not snapping at you. I guess I am really put off by the incredible arrogance in these latest emails. It's one thing to encourage us to patronize the track's vendors. It's another to demand it as if the track is entitled to extracting $4/bottle from us for water. Yep, they charge $4/bottle.
I find the attitude as off-putting as you, VR, but I'm afraid it might not change any time soon.

Keep in mind that some people are out to perpetuate attitude of superiority. I was recently invited to an event at CotA with another sport car manufacturer's track day (intentionally leaving the name aside). Their representative informed me that their track days featured only "inspected" cars (what HDPE doesn't require a tech?), and that their customers didn't want to be on the track with events where "200 other cars show up". The best part was that after this little speech, I went out on the track (as a passenger) in an intermediate group and was privy to some of the worst driving I had ever seen at an HDPE. None of the drivers that we were following would have made it out of green at a PCA event in a local region.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

I know for a fact that the the meat of these emails comes directly from COTA, not from PCA.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Shivatron
I find the attitude as off-putting as you, VR, but I'm afraid it might not change any time soon.

Keep in mind that some people are out to perpetuate attitude of superiority. I was recently invited to an event at CotA with another sport car manufacturer's track day (intentionally leaving the name aside). Their representative informed me that their track days featured only "inspected" cars (what HDPE doesn't require a tech?), and that their customers didn't want to be on the track with events where "200 other cars show up". The best part was that after this little speech, I went out on the track (as a passenger) in an intermediate group and was privy to some of the worst driving I had ever seen at an HDPE. None of the drivers that we were following would have made it out of green at a PCA event in a local region.
Is that the event that introduced the "grab the A-pillar and let go of the steering wheel move"?

Given the choice, I would take drivers that know what they are doing and inspections on the honor system before incompetents with super dooper inspected cars.

I'm still quite impressed with how PCA throws a very fun event that still manages to have safety as it's primary theme. They throw top notch events and I wouldn't be the driver I am today without their instruction.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Food at COTA next week