Sponsored by:

GT2 Widowmaker or Why You Never Stop Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Its easy to be a video coach.The fact is he made an instinctive save .What ever you want to say doesn't matter,.He made what I think was a brilliant save!
+996
Sure are a lot of experts here
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can call me a video coach, armchair quarterback, or whatever, but my statement still stands and it's correct. It was a "great save" in that he didn't hit anything, but as far as technique goes I don't think it was. Call me critical, but I look at that video and think 'how could it have been better?'.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:33 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Great job shuffling the hands and not getting behind on the steering.
He was behind but never, never, gave up. Excellent save. Chances are I would have lost it.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:35 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

To me, it looks like you need to just turn your wipers on, and that will help bring the car around and stablize ya.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:44 PM
jetfuelonly
Intermediate

Great save! His butt and hands were connected any way you look at it!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

I'll apologize in advance if I offend anyone with this post. I feel strongly about mountain driving.

You guys calling out armchair quarterbacking and video coaching, do you drive aggressively in the mountains?

If so, do you let your car get that out of shape?

Drive that far behind the car in the first place in that kind of situation?

Ask your car to spin, then tell it "No! I changed my mind!"?

You don't have to take that much risk to improve your driving.

You certainly don't need to do it in competition, with another person in the car.

It sure didn't help this guy's lap time. It's not safe, it's not fun, it's not fast.

It's not happenstance or an accident, it's just poor form.

I respect that y'all here have skills on the track, and I come here to learn from your experience. I have never driven on the track...but I have a LOT of time in the mountains, and I would not be here today if I let things like that happen. How many of those do you get before you wake up in the burn ward?

Lot of experts? Does 7500 hours of serious work in the mountains make me an expert? I hope there are a lot of experts, as it's supposed to be an educational forum. I'd love for one of the serious coaches here to tell me what is wrong about my analysis. I'm here to learn to be a better driver because I'm obsessed with it. That's why I watch videos like this one.

I'm not an expert, and never will be. I'm a student, and will remain so until I can't drive anymore.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
To me, it looks like you need to just turn your wipers on, and that will help bring the car around and stablize ya.
haha +1 that's an optional feature though. PSRWC
Old 05-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes! The Wipers ! That's the secret!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Not Walter Röhrl caliber, but luck, skill, carma or some combination, a save is a save.

Maybe you are on to something, wipers may counterbalance the polar moment / oscillation / tank slapper. But only on a GT2 :-)
Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheyenne

I respect that y'all here have skills on the track, and I come here to learn from your experience. I have never driven on the track...but I have a LOT of time in the mountains, and I would not be here today if I let things like that happen. How many of those do you get before you wake up in the burn ward?

Lot of experts? Does 7500 hours of serious work in the mountains make me an expert? I hope there are a lot of experts, as it's supposed to be an educational forum. I'd love for one of the serious coaches here to tell me what is wrong about my analysis. I'm here to learn to be a better driver because I'm obsessed with it. That's why I watch videos like this one.

I'm not an expert, and never will be. I'm a student, and will remain so until I can't drive anymore.
Let me give you some perspective. I used to ride motorcycles, way too fast, in the Santa Cruz mountains with a bunch of really fast guys. I had a "should be dead" crash (flew off a cliff) on the mountain and decided I needed to take it to the track if I wanted to go fast. I did dozens of track days. It wasn't long before I was racing and was one of the fastest riders in my class (600cc).

I would go back and ride on the mountain but always under control. One of the faster guys on the mountain (had been fast for a dozens years) thought I had lost my nerve or something. Anyway, that fast guy came to the race track and I was 30 seconds a lap faster than him. He realized I could have destroyed him on the mountain if I wanted to do so.

The point of my story? Being "fast" driving on mountains roads probably means nothing and you don't realize how slow you probably are compared to a good driver with racing experience.

If you want to get be a better driver, get to a safe environment where you can get some instruction (autox and DE). Then, go racing. After that, you will realize how much you didn't know.

Scott
Old 05-24-2013, 06:06 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The point of my story? Being "fast" driving on mountains roads probably means nothing and you don't realize how slow you probably are compared to a good driver with racing experience.

If you want to get be a better driver, get to a safe environment where you can get some instruction (autox and DE). Then, go racing. After that, you will realize how much you didn't know.

Scott
Thank you Scott. Dittos on the perfect answer - DE and then real racing.

The 7,500 hours of extreme mountain "work" bothered me no end.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

A lot of time going fast with good equipment in good conditions doesn't stack up against time spent scratching to learn the basics of getting the most out of yourself no matter what car or bike you have.

I needed only a mild crash to teach me that there had to be a better way to learn.

Learning to go fast is about much more than just driving as fast as you can. I may not have been on the track, or hit as high a speed on the straights as y'all, but I've learned the basics as well or better than anyone. I'm sure I'd be slower than you on a track...but for how long?

Autoex and DE? Tons of money for little track time, mostly spent waiting for point by's? How am I going to learn anything that way? I can't afford a car that would make a track worth the hassle. Kart racing is likely the best thing for someone like me. Now, someone who never turned a wheel in anger before buying a fast car? Autoex and DE makes sense.

But this was about commenting on a video from a race on...a mountain road. Where someone with a passenger in the car (I didn't see codriver notes) got in over his head. I went and found some other vids by the same guy, sorry, I'm not impressed with his driving style. Maybe he's still faster than me, but I wouldn't drive like that at any speed. I fail to see the advantage to getting behind the car, or understeering through corners all the time. Doesn't feel good, and isn't fun.

I've been a passenger on the track, I know what the difference between real speed, and speed on the street is. I didn't make it to that many hours by thrashing on the edge all the time, you can't last on the street like that. I never come close to going as fast as I really could, but I'm not going to let it stop me from getting better. The point of that many hours is the focused intent of learning how driving works, and what cars do...most of that time was at or below the speed limit.

Tell me something...are you disappointed when your track day is rainy, because you can't go as fast? Or stoked that you'll get to learn more?

Edit: Oh yeah, BTW, either of you two have anything constructive, like tell me where my analysis was wrong in any way, either the causes or solutions? How do you resolve getting that deep into a corner crossed up like that?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Reminds me of my 930, now that was a wild ride!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 777 Likes on 394 Posts

A lot of time going fast with good equipment in good conditions doesn't stack up against time spent scratching to learn the basics of getting the most out of yourself no matter what car or bike you have.

I needed only a mild crash to teach me that there had to be a better way to learn.

Learning to go fast is about much more than just driving as fast as you can. I may not have been on the track, or hit as high a speed on the straights as y'all, but I've learned the basics as well or better than anyone. I'm sure I'd be slower than you on a track...but for how long?

Autoex and DE? Tons of money for little track time, mostly spent waiting for point by's? How am I going to learn anything that way? I can't afford a car that would make a track worth the hassle. Kart racing is likely the best thing for someone like me. Now, someone who never turned a wheel in anger before buying a fast car? Autoex and DE makes sense.

But this was about commenting on a video from a race on...a mountain road. Where someone with a passenger in the car (I didn't see codriver notes) got in over his head. I went and found some other vids by the same guy, sorry, I'm not impressed with his driving style. Maybe he's still faster than me, but I wouldn't drive like that at any speed. I fail to see the advantage to getting behind the car, or understeering through corners all the time. Doesn't feel good, and isn't fun.

I've been a passenger on the track, I know what the difference between real speed, and speed on the street is. I didn't make it to that many hours by thrashing on the edge all the time, you can't last on the street like that. I never come close to going as fast as I really could, but I'm not going to let it stop me from getting better. The point of that many hours is the focused intent of learning how driving works, and what cars do...most of that time was at or below the speed limit.

Tell me something...are you disappointed when your track day is rainy, because you can't go as fast? Or stoked that you'll get to learn more?

Edit: Oh yeah, BTW, either of you two have anything constructive, like tell me where my analysis was wrong in any way, either the causes or solutions? How do you resolve getting that deep into a corner crossed up like that?
Wow. You really think you can't learn anything at an autox or DE? I guess that sums it up pretty well.....

Scott
Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

but I've learned the basics as well or better than anyone.

Edit: Oh yeah, BTW, either of you two have anything constructive, like tell me
Nah, I got nothing for you.

Quick Reply: GT2 Widowmaker or Why You Never Stop Steering