Sponsored by:

GT2 Widowmaker or Why You Never Stop Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default GT2 Widowmaker or Why You Never Stop Steering

And for my next trick, I'll make my co-drivers life flash before his eyes and then reappear.

Great job shuffling the hands and not getting behind on the steering.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to be late on the correction, at least be ambitious about the save!

But...I feel like he overdid it on the initial save. You gotta be patient and let the correction work. It wasn't that fast of a rotation in the initial slide. That said, I've not saved a slide like that in a rear engine car, for those who've done both, does it take more steering angle to save a rear engine car?

Also, did the autograph on the dash help?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Enzo
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Great job shuffling the hands and not getting behind on the steering.
He was behind on the steering, and especially so on each "tank slapper". The pause in steering angle at :04-:05 also hurt him.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree it looks like he under-corrected in the beginning, but man, those are some fast hands and serious commitment. Congratulations to him for saving it! Might not have been pretty, but the end result saved a lot of $$ and potential injury.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I dunno - Seems to me that given how much and fast he was turning that steering wheel, I think its pretty amazing that it was only a tank slapper.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Greg, I see your point...that's what got him in the situation to begin with. I was talking about after the damage had been done and the pendulum was swinging.

My un-expert analysis was that the car was understeering quite heavily at the very beginning and he had quite a bit of lock on trying to get the car to turn in. That was a slightly uphill turn which means the sprung mass started moving vertically while the car wasn't very straight combined with a bump that seemed to get the rear moving. He met it with a quick jab of opposite lock but the tail was coming with more momentum than he anticipated and he was late with the correct amount.

Hey, I give him credit for avoiding the worst case scenario...better driver than I am. Well, that and luck was on his side that day...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

After watching a few more times, I think he is crossed up (Is that the right term?), understeering, but with power on...A recipe for disaster!

He's holding the wheel steady with too much steering angle. If you are understeering, and don't want to let off the power, then you need to work the wheel, "toss" the front towards the inside of the corner, and straighten the wheel, waiting to see if you need to catch oversteer, or make another sharp steering input to the inside. This way you saw at the wheel like a maniac BEFORE you start to spin. I like this method when I'm driving underpowered cars (always!) because it trades more work on my part, for not having to let off the throttle.

If that doesn't sound like how you want to do it, then straighten the wheel by 25-50%, and let off some throttle to get the fronts working. Safer, especially if you either have the power to make up for the loss of time, or just aren't interested in changing your underwear.

Either way, you get the steering action you were looking for, rather than getting farther and farther into a situation where you are asking the car (with the steering angle) to spin, and just waiting for it to happen.

Like almost every crash I see, it's a video of someone asking the car to spin, the car obliging, and then a crash or a near miss. Glad to see a near miss rather than the other!

What are you guys' favorite ways to get out of or avoid these traps?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:08 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Speed is in KPH, right? In either case, they should have stopped at the end of the rally and bought lottery tickets - must have been their lucky day.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Its easy to be a video coach.The fact is he made an instinctive save .What ever you want to say doesn't matter,.He made what I think was a brilliant save!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
He was behind on the steering, and especially so on each "tank slapper". The pause in steering angle at :04-:05 also hurt him.
He lifted then too didn't he? Still an epic save.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Its easy to be a video coach.The fact is he made an instinctive save .What ever you want to say doesn't matter,.He made what I think was a brilliant save!
+1
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Good/Lucky Save... Dude in the passenger seat I'm sure was wondering if his Motor-X helmet was certified for what was about to happen.. Luckily it was never employed.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Armchair quarterbacking at its finest. Regardless of how he did it, he did it.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Even the driver was amazed at the save. lol.

Quick Reply: GT2 Widowmaker or Why You Never Stop Steering