Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I don't get you guys.

Just because both Audi and Porsche have the same parent company does not mean they cannot compete against each other autonomously. Porsche made its brand on racing. Being successful at the top levels of sports car racing is great for their business. It's a marketing tool for sales of cars and for their engineering business.

Porsche obviously believes they can win within a budget that makes sense. I don't see the issue....

Scott
Most in this thread are looking at this from a fan's point of view. Look at it from a business point of view which, many here, have mentioned from both a profitability stand point and a brand image/marketing standpoint.

What happens if the Porsche team gets their clocks cleaned by Audi next year? It would be a disaster from a PR stand point and something the board absolutely cannot let happen. Better that they finish close to each other even if it's not on the top step than having one finish P1 and the other last. Once the Porsche LMP1 car tests, they will know if the P car is close to the Audi and vis-versa. I suspect they will have to work behind the scenes more than the public will know at that that point, it's not really Pcar vs. Audi, it's a collusion of VAG vs. the Toyotas and everyone else.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Pete,

You don't really know if there will be any interaction between Porsche and Audi behind the scenes. You cannot say it is not Porsche against Audi and the rest of the field. You are making assumptions that don't necessarily make sense when you understand how Porsche operates. Just because they are owned by VAG does not mean they will share with Audi or vice versa. Porsche is still an autonomous company in most ways.

Scott
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Correct, I don't know what is going on behind closed doors, but I do know that there is too much on the line for either company to lose face and when there is a lot on the line you always follow the money trail and hence I'm skeptical that it will truly be two independent companies that would fight each other to the win. I would love to be proven wrong and a year from now we're talking about a battle with independent technology from each maker. No one will know for 12 month...
Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing I think some of you are overlooking.

Parent company this or that, I'll guarantee you the actual people in both race teams are there to win and want it bad. I
I've seen it in F1 between the two "teams" within one team and have no doubt on both,sides of the "fence", they want to beat each others bad and don't think for a second that won't matter and that it's all about "decisions,in boardroom".

Go Porsche! I'm beyond tired of Audi's dominance in Le Mans!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:16 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
One thing I think some of you are overlooking.

Parent company this or that, I'll guarantee you the actual people in both race teams are there to win and want it bad. I
I've seen it in F1 between the two "teams" within one team and have no doubt on both,sides of the "fence", they want to beat each others bad and don't think for a second that won't matter and that it's all about "decisions,in boardroom".

Go Porsche! I'm beyond tired of Audi's dominance in Le Mans!
There might be two sides to the garage in F1, but we've also seen the "Fernando is Faster than you" where the people upstairs who run the team orchastrate who will win the race even though one of the drivers deserved to win.... just saying
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
There might be two sides to the garage in F1, but we've also seen the "Fernando is Faster than you" where the people upstairs who run the team orchastrate who will win the race even though one of the drivers deserved to win.... just saying
Good point and I agree, I believe and hope that Audi is not the Schumi/Alsonso of the Le Mans teams, if that was the case at VAG, why let Porsche do this at all?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I dont' think it's negativity but rather a skepticism of "Will Porsche really be competing with Audi". If you or I sat on the VAG board would we want an arms race between our two subsidiaries, Porsche and Audi? The arguments ltc brings up are valid. If Porsche cannot compete with Audi (at least initially) and gets beat convincingly, it's not a good image for the sports car brand that has a long history of winning at LeMans. If Audi gets beaten convincingly, how with their brand image suffer as a result? If both Porsche and Audi have a slug fest for the overall win, will it have been engineered by the suits in the boardroom for a positive brand image to benefit both Porsche and Audi? Unfortunately, what is called the "purity" of the spectacle could be manipulated. I don't buy the A and B team argument as Porsche will not want to be the Toro Rosso to the Red Bulls Racing and Audi will not want to take a back seat to Porsche given their dominance in the past decade.
While it may not be a full FIA event and definitely no way an ACO event the ADAC 24 hr race pits factory backed Audi and Porsche teams and has been doing so for a few years now. Speaking with Porsche Motorsport engineers, there was no indication of one brand being castrated to give another an advantage. Maybe things are different at the top budget racing class?!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:27 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I was going to say exactly this. Humans are messy and unpredictable animals - the ones at the top may have one agenda, but the folks at the working level may have different plans. Perhaps it's a situation like within Apple where divisions were basically at war with each other to push "their" products. It can lead to some great results.

Think of the marketing "AUDI - nobody can touch us on track so we funded Porsche to provide us some competition."

It's like the US, in the old days when there was nobody to war with they split into two sides and had a war with each other.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Darkstar1
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 135 Posts

Looks like a great car. I am happy they are back. Hope all Audi sees is the back of this car...

Now where can I get that wrap pattern for my car?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Why have 2 essentially similar cars from 2 brands from the same parent company when one (Audi) has owned LeMans for years.
The success of one must come at the expense of the other, so what's the point?
Porsche wants to be the top dog at VAG, recently article in Automobile looks into this:

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...storm_at_audi/

Snipped from that story:

Watching all of this very closely is Porsche. The two brands contribute to the same bottom line, but make no mistake: there is no love lost between them. Both realize they won't forever be able to conceive their model ranges independent of one another, and each wants to be the senior partner. Audi already controls Lamborghini, Ducati, and Italdesign Giugiaro, and it makes more money. Porsche clears higher margins and is flexing its muscle through Bentley, for which it sought to develop the component set for the next Continental and Mulsanne; Audi fought back with its own component set, but in this league, two is a crowd. Porsche also claims to lead all VW Group sports car development, which would not only include Lamborghini but also the next R8. We smell conflict here. In short, Audi's management must steer toward a set of sustainable priorities, or else Volkswagen and Porsche will take the wheel.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi develops Diesel hybrids and Porsche petrol hybrids. I suspect Porsche will have speed and fuel economy. The Audis only have so many wins left in their technology. Look at Toyota. They are working on fuel economy to limit pit stops as a strategy for wins. They may be there by next year.
Seems like smart use of resources to me. Diesels hybrids for EU market and petrol for North America. Both perfected and proven on the race track.

Now Nissan on the other hand may leapfrog them both with full electric. Can't wait to see how the next gen Delta Wing does next year.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Now Nissan on the other hand may leapfrog them both with full electric. Can't wait to see how the next gen Delta Wing does next year.
It's not a "Delta Wing" anymore......

http://blog.caranddriver.com/dont-ca...lectric-power/
Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Not the final version at all. Drivetrain test mule with some Audi components.

Quick Reply: Porsche LMP1 breaks cover