Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I think this is an excellent move for Porsche.
+993
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Here is a quote:

"Crikey, I'm hoping Mark [Webber] continues next season. Apart from being a great person, his contribution has been significant. He's been a pillar of the team from the start."

I wonder what idiot said that?

Oh, wait. Adrian Newey said that. Maybe he knows just a little bit more about driver talent than you do.....

Scott
Newey is a gentleman and I would expect nothing short of praise for any of his drivers. Where you really need to go to is someone in the team with no filter like Marko:

When you are in the public eye, giving interviews, sometimes you get misquoted or a quote is mistranslated. It happens in F1 all the time.

But when that interview is in your own in-house magazine, you do not have that excuse. So how are we to read the comments this week in the Red Bulletin from Red Bull special adviser Helmut Marko appearing to slate the team’s own driver, Mark Webber?

“Red Bull puts him in a car – a possible winner – and suddenly along comes this young kid and he snatches the booty from under Mark’s nose. Psychologically it’s not easy, of course; this would gnaw away at anyone’s confidence. It’s more than understandable,” says Marko.

“It seems to me that Webber has on average two races per year where he is unbeatable, but he can’t maintain this form throughout the year. And as soon as his prospects start to look good in the world championship, he has a little trouble with the pressure that this creates.

“In comparison with Seb’s rising form, it seems to me that Mark’s form somehow flattens out. Then, if some technical mishap occurs, like with the alternator for example, he falls relatively easily into a downward spiral.

“No driver remains unaffected by this, because the tension is palpable. In 2010, it was particularly extreme. ”
Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I assume that Alonso will now become the president of the GPDA once Weber leaves?

This is a huge loss to the sport of F1. Who is going to mentor the younger drivers on the finer points of poor starts and blocking?

He had his chance to win a WDC, leading Alonso and Vettel in the points.
RBR gave him the car necessary to win, but he blew it in Korea and was never the same after that.

Thanks Mark, don't let the F1 door hit you in the *** on the way out.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Geezs.

Do you have to be SO negative on every damned thing?
Agreed. Wonder on the experience and talent of Mr 'Life-Time-Critic' to make these universal declamations? Clearly way off the mark as per usual. Not untypical of keyboard warriors with absolutely no connection to the subject they cast their misguided opinions on.

As for ignoring facts...double lmao!...the easy out when criticising Webber is to keep wheeling out the "YEAH!!!!! Webber had the absolute best car in the Universe! What's wrong with that Douche?!?!"
There's been many many races when he's been lucky to have the 7th best car. How many times have the Ferraris, Lotus and Mercs been clearly faster than the RB's? How many times did Webber have no Kers &/or DRS problems when mysteriously they were fine on the No 1 car? Blah blah, conspiracy theorists....it flat out happened on numerous occasions. How many times did he get fastest lap of the race? plenty. not a win but that takes talent. Yes, he did blow the WDC but for the critics who probably have not even done a DE to totally wipe this guy's contribution to F1 is laughable. At least the people involved in F1 actually know talent when it's displayed.

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-28-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Kimi has no interest in endurance racing......

Patrick Long drove the Porsche LMP2 car...

Scott

I don't recall Patrick Long driving for Penske in the RS Spyder....?

Timo and Romain are the regular Porsche prototype drivers with most of the others always coming from Germany (Luhr) or other European countries.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Agreed. Wonder on the experience and talent of Mr 'Life-Time-Critic' to make these universal declamations? Clearly way off the mark as per usual. Not untypical of keyboard warriors with absolutely no connection to the subject they cast their misguided opinions on.

As for ignoring facts...double lmao!...the easy out when criticising Webber is to keep wheeling out the "YEAH!!!!! Webber had the absolute best car in the Universe! What's wrong with that Douche?!?!"
There's been many many races when he's been lucky to have the 7th best car. How many times have the Ferraris, Lotus and Mercs been clearly faster than the RB's? How many times did Webber have no Kers &/or DRS problems when mysteriously they were fine on the No 1 car? Blah blah, conspiracy theorists....it flat out happened on numerous occasions. How many times did he get fastest lap of the race? plenty. not a win but that takes talent. Yes, he did blow the WDC but for the critics who probably have not even done a DE to totally wipe this guy's contribution to F1 is laughable. At least the people involved in F1 actually know talent when it's displayed.
Keyboard warrior?
I am certain I can drive an electric wheelchair better/faster than anyone in this forum.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Keyboard warrior?
I am certain I can drive an electric wheelchair better/faster than anyone in this forum.
Doubt you will get any rebuffs now........

In fact I believe you still hold the TTD closed course record!

Hope this finds you well!!
GG
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh

Timo and Romain are the regular Porsche prototype drivers with most of the others always coming from Germany (Luhr) or other European countries.
Can't remember what races but I do remember he shared that in that car turn 1 at rd Atlanta was flat, pulling over 4 g's !
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, let's hope he performs better than Ralfie & Coultard have in DTM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh

http://patricklong.com/patrick-long-...rd-at-mosport/
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

The point is that there are a several better choices (IMO) close at hand or in-house. Seems like Porsche is buying into the F1 hype.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

I understand he is a countryman Patrick, but we're not talking about an isolated incident; there is more than enough of a representative sample from which to draw conclusions over nearly half a decade at the best team
Old 06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i say Pat Dempsey, Pat Long, and Pat Lindsey !
Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
In response, Audi and Toyota are petitioning the ACO to change to standing starts.
Brilliant!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Glen
Doubt you will get any rebuffs now........

In fact I believe you still hold the TTD closed course record!

Hope this finds you well!!
GG
Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
I understand he is a countryman Patrick, but we're not talking about an isolated incident; there is more than enough of a representative sample from which to draw conclusions over nearly half a decade at the best team
Pete, you probably don't like koalas or kangaroos either.

FWIW and IMHO, I think "Multi 21" was Seb's "message" to Mark and the team regarding last year at Interlagos when Weber decided to "drive for Ferrari for a lap or two", almost costing Seb the WDC (which he of course won by passing under yellow, but that's another story).

If it were Senna and Prost fighting for the WDC, sure, have at it.
But Weber was mathematically eliminated so what was the point?

Weber might be a nice guy, he probably is, he was the #1 driver at RBR at its start, contributed greatly to their consistency and development of Newey's cars.
But, along comes the Wunderkid, and Weber never came to grips with the fact that
A. Seb is faster than you (TM Rob Smedley, Tifosi Enterprises, a subsidiary of Flav a Flav Law firm, a wholly owned subsidiary of LucaD Enterprises)
B. Seb was the future of the team for a while, having been in the RB system since the Junior forumlae.
C. Mark became, based on performance and (lack of consistency), the #2 in the team immediately after Korea 2010.

And BTW, although I admire the creativity behind deciphering ltc, it has been stated that it stands for Love The Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche