Sponsored by:

Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i say Pat Dempsey, Pat Long, and Pat Lindsey !
That would definitely be fun. One of those Pats might be in a little over his head though...
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 776 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
I don't recall Patrick Long driving for Penske in the RS Spyder....?
You do know how to use Google, right? It's really not that hard......

Use this search criteria:

Patrick Long LMP2

You'll get almost a million results. The first page should be enough to either jog your memory or get the point across.

Scott
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
The point is that there are a several better choices (IMO) close at hand or in-house. Seems like Porsche is buying into the F1 hype.
I tend to trust the decisions made by Porsche Motorsports over the like of you....a club racer with no experience running a Le Mans effort.

Scott
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I tend to trust the decisions made by Porsche Motorsports over the like of you....a club racer with no experience running a Le Mans effort.

Scott
Really? Trust a successful mufti-national corporation over a faceless yahoo on RL? I don't see the fun in that , but I will remember this when reading your future posts.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23073995

One of many complimentary articles from the people in the know.
Am I patriotic on behalf of Webber? Yes to some degree, however I've never said he was the best out there, just a lot closer than some in hear believe. He's definitely had the #2 car in the team and the RB hasn't been the best car on the grid for every race since he's been in that seat. A little reality check is overdue....
Old 06-29-2013, 01:54 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Weber had a good run in F1 and he had some really good chances .
Old 06-29-2013, 03:27 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Le Mans used to be an endurance race but now it has become a sprint race of sort...
What Porsche or any top teams(Audi,Toyota, Aston Martin..etc) want is drivers that are fast and consistant without accident tendencies.(i.e. Rocky-Rockenfeller comes to mind)
Just from this year's LM race clearly supports that if you dont finish, you don't have a chance. Wheather that's due to mechanical or driver error...
Allen McNish won this year becasue he didn't go crazy on early laps(learn his lesson from last year) and #1car broke down.
I would say MW is good pick for Porsche & Le Mans because, 1) He doesn't have to worry about standing start, 2)Don't have to worry about being #2 driver, and lastly knows how to take care of equipment and bring it home.
At RB, he was clearly #2 driver and slower than Vettel, most of top drivers would have left already but Mark stayed because he knew there will be races where SV won't finish and he will...
Best wishes for him.

Last edited by f8vr993; 06-30-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by f8vr993
Just from this year's LM race clearly supports that if you dont finish, you don't have a chance.
Seriously? Isn't that just a little more than completely obvious?

Scott
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Keyboard warrior?
I am certain I can drive an electric wheelchair better/faster than anyone in this forum.
Now that is accurate.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by winders
You do know how to use Google, right? It's really not that hard......

Use this search criteria:

Patrick Long LMP2

You'll get almost a million results. The first page should be enough to either jog your memory or get the point across.

Scott
Hey thanks for the reply (?) Damn, gotta love the tactfulness these days of those on Rennlist...but judging from your other responses you seem to be hellbent on yourself which is fine it's the internet and we all know people lose their damn mind behind the keyboard.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Hey thanks for the reply (?) Damn, gotta love the tactfulness these days of those on Rennlist...but judging from your other responses you seem to be hellbent on yourself which is fine it's the internet and we all know people lose their damn mind behind the keyboard.
Tactfulness??

You responded to my post saying that Patrick Long drove the LMP2 Porsche (an easily verifiable fact) as if I was somehow lying to you or I was mistaken.

In the time it took you to post that tactful response, you could have looked it up for yourself and confirmed the truth. But no, I am to blame......jeez.

Scott
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

It's a forum, open for discussion hence...me discussing my lack of memory of P.Long driving for Penske. Of course I looked it up after the fact but not everything is just going to be done via 'Search' or Google. Thanks for your input Scott, in actuality I could give a damn.

Back on topic as of right now Kimi and Vettel would be a dominant pairing but the personalities both on and off the track would probably create further turmoil inside the camp. He'd bring money in via sponsors but the battle of two #1's would be a headache for Horner. Bringing in a Toro Rosso driver would better allow a #1/#2 setup with no real regard for having to appease #2 other than giving him a car to drive. Also, in theory there are two spots left for Porsche LMP #2 and another for a reserve. I would think P.Long is the only driver left on the current roster with significant prototype experience and will be considered. Will Porsche pull from other WEC teams or possibly wait for drivers to fall out of F1 teams when the shuffle of bodies happens after this season? Hell will Audi continue to run three cars or go to two..maybe Porsche can borrow one of their drivers?!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think RBR needs the sponsorship money that Kimi might bring.
It's all about a pairing that can win the Constructors.

In actuality, Weber was very good in that regard.
He wasn't very good in accepting that he was a number 2 driver from the moment he blew the WDC in Korea.

I'm surprised Ferrari didn't offer him a ride in place of Massa.
He and Alonso are friends (dinner in Monaco), managed by Flav a Flav, and could probably accept the Santander money Luca could provide.
But maybe he didnt want to be a #2 at Ferrari either.

I hope Porsche makes him a #1 in LMP.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Hell, see the British Gran Prix today? MW drove a stellar race after another horrendous start and exploding Pirelli's...driving like a mad man like that to reel in the front runners was impressive.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Whoa, no spoilers please, it hasn't played here yet...

Quick Reply: Weber to leave F1 - joins Porsche